Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

Really trying hard to be positive and patient, but can't we at least have some more information about the coming module? Apparently too early yet to expect a seperate website and Pre-ordering, but perhaps the people who made the scenarios/campaings can share some screenshots? Personally I enjoy screenshots of the fighting much more than screenshots of vehicles (also interesting of course). 

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

What are the advantages of buying your games on Steam? I fear that the game will concentrate more on eye candy and less about realism. Seeing a drunk army on the march on GM got me disinterested. 

For a player there is no real advantage. Some say the install process is easier but I'm not sure how much better it really is - just different problems as far as I can see.

For BFC there is additional revenue if more people see the game and want to buy. We still have not heard how that is working and we might never - but there does seem to be new players so sounds like it's working.

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

What are the advantages of buying your games on Steam? I fear that the game will concentrate more on eye candy and less about realism. Seeing a drunk army on the march on GM got me disinterested. 

Bypassing the convoluted patching and upgrading process is probably the most important advantage. As it stands we aren't moving past the archaic multiplayer system any time soon or getting alot of the features that were advertised even back in 2007 when CMSF dropped to a massively buggy launch mostly thanks to their publisher at the time. I digress and am hopeful for the future, things like fire, co play, a strategic layer are features I'd love to see and hopefully the MOD contract can make adding some of these a lot less painful both through a financial injection and perhaps the addition of some additional programmers and artists. Pipe dreams I suppose.

I agree with both @purpheart23 and @IanL we want both added realism by first shooter graphics but not at the expense of the strength of the present Engine. My wish list (Camera Position 5-9 topographic maps) PDAs in modern warfare. Camera position 1 POV on the ground or taking position of the crews in AFV's and other vehicles. It is a long way to go. Thank you both for your reply. 

6 hours ago, purpheart23 said:

Bypassing the convoluted patching and upgrading process is probably the most important advantage. 

The convoluted step by step installation process has been gone since the 4.0 Upgrade was released (and 3.0 with CMBN). If you ever need to install the game always use the 4.0 full game installers. They will install everything in a single download and installation right up to the latest patch.

8 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

The convoluted step by step installation process has been gone since the 4.0 Upgrade was released (and 3.0 with CMBN). If you ever need to install the game always use the 4.0 full game installers. They will install everything in a single download and installation right up to the latest patch.

That's fair, the 11-12 years prior to that I kept all of the installers for every CM game that was available on hand in an external hard drive. If I ever had to reinstall the game for whatever reason I could, it wasn't fun but it was a workaround. With CM going to steam, where the vast majority of my games are played from, it's a simple two mouse clicks and the game is installed. Still much faster than going through the official website imo and a welcome addition.

17 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

In addition to those mentioned above, one (small) advantage I can think of is that multiple (infinite?) installs are now possible on as many PCs as you like and you no longer need to worry about how many licenses you have left if you have "fried" four PCs in a row during the year. Is that correct?

A (small) disadvantage I can think of is that if you use Steam in online mode you will only be able to play the game on one PC at a time. It may be an issue if, for example, one of your family members (my son for me) is using a CM game with a shared family account. You will be thrown out of your game. The workaround is to use Steam in offline mode, of course. But if a multi-player, co-play version ever comes about it will be a major issue (well at least in my family ;) )

14 minutes ago, Malaspina said:

In addition to those mentioned above, one (small) advantage I can think of is that multiple (infinite?) installs are now possible on as many PCs as you like and you no longer need to worry about how many licenses you have left if you have "fried" four PCs in a row during the year. Is that correct?

A (small) disadvantage I can think of is that if you use Steam in online mode you will only be able to play the game on one PC at a time. It may be an issue if, for example, one of your family members (my son for me) is using a CM game with a shared family account. You will be thrown out of your game. The workaround is to use Steam in offline mode, of course. But if a multi-player, co-play version ever comes about it will be a major issue (well at least in my family ;) )

Thank you, my favorite method is Hot Seat. Long way to go before we can do it online. I am more a player and not an editor. 

On 1/30/2021 at 4:40 AM, BFCElvis said:

I wish there was a direct link to full game downloads in my account for all my games/modules/updates. As it is now, there are only links for my incremental purchases. Maybe a new page for my account with all the full downloads with the associated keys stated next to them.

The nice thing with Steam is that once a game is in your account you only have to do one thing, click install and no worries about keeping track of keys. When I get my new rig (March) I will probably start migrating to Steam when the games get there.

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

I wish there was a direct link to full game downloads in my account for all my games/modules/updates. As it is now, there are only links for my incremental purchases. Maybe a new page for my account with all the full downloads with the associated keys stated next to them.

The nice thing with Steam is that once a game is in your account you only have to do one thing, click install and no worries about keeping track of keys. When I get my new rig (March) I will probably start migrating to Steam when the games get there.

For you there is. The 4.0 Upgrade Big Bundle link will link you to the full game installers for everything except for CMSF2. (Your order number 310297) 

Using that link you will notice 4 downloads links for each game. 2 Mac and 2 Windows. And for each operating system 1 for the Upgrade only and 1 for the full game installer. So, when you go to re-install the games the only link that you need is your order number 310297 link. Then download only the full installer for each game. All of those will install the games up to the most recent patch available. If you have all 5 games, 1 download and 1 thing to install for each game. Not quite as simple as Steam but close.

16 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

For you there is. The 4.0 Upgrade Big Bundle link will link you to the full game installers for everything except for CMSF2. (Your order number 310297) 

Using that link you will notice 4 downloads links for each game. 2 Mac and 2 Windows. And for each operating system 1 for the Upgrade only and 1 for the full game installer. So, when you go to re-install the games the only link that you need is your order number 310297 link. Then download only the full installer for each game. All of those will install the games up to the most recent patch available. If you have all 5 games, 1 download and 1 thing to install for each game. Not quite as simple as Steam but close.

Great, is it new? Can't remember seeing this before. Last time I checked was when R2V was released. But it could be clearer stated I guess. Just seeing a list of numbers in a long list of orders it doesn't exactly make it stand out. Main thing it is there. Now I only have to remember that number ;)

I don't mind entering keys to activate the games that much though.

F&R pre-ordered, yay :) 

46 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Great, is it new?

Just seeing a list of numbers in a long list of orders it doesn't exactly make it stand out. Main thing it is there. Now I only have to remember that number ;)

Yup. It has been like that since the 4.0 Upgrade came out.

Yes, it is unfortunate that all that get's displayed is the order number. If it is at all helpful, it should be the only purchase that you have for $25. When I'm working with someone on the Help Desk and I'm trying to figure out if they have that Bundle the first thing that I do is scan their account for any $25 purchases and start my search there. 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, chuckdyke said:

What are the advantages of buying your games on Steam? I fear that the game will concentrate more on eye candy and less about realism.

Steam has nothing to do with game content. There are plenty of games which doesn't concentrate on graphics.