Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

31 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Why not just wait till it's released ?

Genuinely puzzled why people do this.

To put money in the hands of BFC as soon as possible so that they can assess how to pool resources for the next project. CM3? 

1 minute ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

You absolutely have a choice.

I do it to support BFC's cash flow.

There aren't many companies I would trust to pre-order from, but after over 20 years, I have no worries about not getting the product or regretting having bought it.

I don't have a problem with people preordering BFC games, because they are a company that provides honest free demos that show what the game actually plays like. I just don't really understand the reasons why anyone would preorder anyway, apart from basically charity like Rocketman said.

However, I'm not a fan of preordering in general, since many games companies run something akin to "bait and switch" schemes where they hype up new games immensely, make people pre-order them, and then release something that's not at all what people were expecting.

I have a rather trivial reason to pre-order:

In principle i don't like online shopping therefore I always have to move internally to do so.

This takes a while until I feel comfortable with it.

And in the pre-order-time there is plenty of time for this...so I am able to download the game at once when it is out. 🙂

And it is a module of a CM-game...so I can pretty much estimate what product I can expect. I would defenitley buy it.

Wouldn't do this for every game...

If pre-order doesn't make sense for anyone, then don't do it.  but why bother to comment on it here?  

I do it to show support for a small company that gives me hundreds of hours of historically-based wargaming entertainment and doesn't sell out and become World of Tanks or some other twitchy gamey thing -- the kind of games that make a lot of money. 

Now that I've been nice to them I demand they immediately release eastern front 1941-43. 

38 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

However, I'm not a fan of preordering in general, since many games companies run something akin to "bait and switch" schemes where they hype up new games immensely, make people pre-order them, and then release something that's not at all what people were expecting.

Definitely true and the reason why I would only pre-order from a couple of companies.

10 hours ago, rocketman said:

To put money in the hands of BFC as soon as possible so that they can assess how to pool resources for the next project. CM3? 

The next project which has been announced is not CM3. I've never seen them mention CM3 anywhere.

There still working and expanding on their series of games. In fact. Your question is pretty redundant as they keep updating the engine rather than release a new title. So we're on like cm4 .

11 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

The next project which has been announced is not CM3. I've never seen them mention CM3 anywhere.

There still working and expanding on their series of games. In fact. Your question is pretty redundant as they keep updating the engine rather than release a new title. So we're on like cm4 .

I know that full well, just wishful thinking. However, my pet theory is that they are working on the next engine behind the scenes already.

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

I know that full well, just wishful thinking. However, my pet theory is that they are working on the next engine behind the scenes already.

Reality's are made from dreams! So keep it up lol... I too wish for more stuff..👍💪

On 2/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, Bulletpoint said:

games companies run something akin to "bait and switch" schemes where they hype up new games immensely, make people pre-order them, and then release something that's not at all what people were expecting.

Rome Total War 2 for example? I looked forward to that game because I had good memories of Rome Total War. But I decided to wait and then never bought the game because of all the needs of patches which apparently didn't manage to make the game as good as they had promised. It was fun to read all the complaints on different forums.

11 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Rome Total War 2 for example? I looked forward to that game because I had good memories of Rome Total War. But I decided to wait and then never bought the game because of all the needs of patches which apparently didn't manage to make the game as good as they had promised. It was fun to read all the complaints on different forums.

Exactly - I had the exact same experience. Went from being a big TW fan to never buying one of their games again.

The only reason why I'm happy with pre-ordering (and did pre-order) is that it's a sign that the situation is under control and the  game is coming. Less happy with the fact that it can take a couple of months more, but let's not get into that again....😉

Edited by Aragorn2002

11 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Rome Total War 2 for example?

Totally (pun intended) agree.  I liked the original, plus some mods, so I did buy the second one.  It's still sitting on my PC, hardly played.  I read somewhere that a lot of games, particularly those bought on Steam, are like that however...

24 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Totally (pun intended) agree.  I liked the original, plus some mods, so I did buy the second one.  It's still sitting on my PC, hardly played.  I read somewhere that a lot of games, particularly those bought on Steam, are like that however...

The problem is not Steam, but preordering itself. It lets games companies make more money by hype than by delivering a good game. Lots of people vowed never to buy a CA game again, but there's a sucker born every minute, and the franchise is going strong.

Edited by Bulletpoint

2 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

The problem is not Steam, but preordering itself. It lets games companies make more money by hype than by delivering a good game. Lots of people woved never to buy a CA game again, but there's a sucker born every minute, and the franchise is going strong.

Not just pre-ordered though, a lot are bought in sales and in bundles and never even opened.  A quick google tells me the figure was 37% of games bought on Steam were never played as of 2014.  Analysis by sales value will of course tell a different story.

None of this will apply to BFC pre-orders of course, as long as we've set aside at least a few months of our lives and nothing gets in the way 😁.

7 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Not just pre-ordered though, a lot are bought in sales and in bundles and never even opened.  A quick google tells me the figure was 37% of games bought on Steam were never played as of 2014. 

That's true, but that's another story. I don't think there's anything wrong with having good games on sale.

And nothing wrong with people buying games they never play... it doesn't consume extra resources for packaging and shipping, so Mother Earth doesn't mind.

Of course it's a waste of a little money for the people buying something they won't use, but it doesn't give game companies an incentive to design poor quality games. Pre-ordering does.

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

Of course it's a waste of a little money for the people buying something they won't use, but it doesn't give game companies an incentive to design poor quality games. Pre-ordering does.

I take your point. 

I have pre-ordered F&R though and am quite happy with that.

7 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

I take your point. 

I have pre-ordered F&R though and am quite happy with that.

I have no problems with BFC pre-orders... I'm sure the game will appear and be similar quality to the other games they have made.

There's no huge BFC hype machine churning away publishing manipulated screenshots and bribing influencers to rave about their upcoming game on youtube. So it's obviously not a bait and switch in BFC's case.

But personally I don't pre-order, because I think "cash on delivery" is a good principle in general.

Edited by Bulletpoint