Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

Not convinced that it should, for the Soviets at least.

I could kind of accept it for the Germans, but TBH there isn't much evidence of them using 'forward air control' in quite the way the western allies did.

From the accounts I've read of Schlachtgeschwader & Stukageschwader on the eastern front, they were either assigned targets at a much higher level or just assigned a sector and left to do their own thing (which is pretty much how things work in CM:RT now).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

So, what is it you're wanting / hoping to see changed?

I'd be fine with them allowing the player to have control of air (as in the other titles) during the setup phase. As things stand, the risk of having friendly air attack your own troops is so high that the air feature is essential useless in CM:RT. I've had friendly veteran soviet air on a huge map with clearly defined lines take out a large chunk of my force over the course of battles.

I understand the logic behind the current system, but it basically prevents the feature from being used -- which is stupid in a tactical game. So, let the player get the use of air as a tactical asset by setting orders in pre-planning and then let him reap the fate of Eastern front air after the pre-planned air attacks have been completed, if the planes still have ammo.

I like the wild card aspect of the current system. I think it's neat. I also like the fact that you can suffer from friendly fire. My only concern is the amount of friendly fire. I have also had my air support take out large portions of my force. The detracting fact is that sometimes these were tanks with distinct features that would be hard for a pilot to mix up. If you had a squad lose radio contact or be near enemy forces, then it would make sense for them to be mistakenly identified, that would also add another tactical element to the game. If there was some way or feature you could align your forces or identify yourself so they wouldn't be attacked by your own planes, I think that would be cool. 

I totally get having the ability to identify your own targets as well. All formats for air support are fun. 

The great thing about CM, is that you can change elevation or the position of a group of houses, and you have a whole new tactical situation that you can enjoy. Like air support, making adjustments to how these systems work can open the door to new opportunities. 

Has anyone ever talked about mortars firing flares to increase distance at night? I know fire was talked about. I think fire would be a great addition as well. I am new to the series so I didn't experience it in prior titles.

I am a major fan of the series. I don't think anything I mentioned is pressing. It is just fun to talk about this stuff.  

28 minutes ago, Almac said:

Has anyone ever talked about mortars firing flares to increase distance at night?

Many times.  Currently we have fires (burning vehicles) that illuminate the surrounding area - but that is merely eye-candy and does not affect LOS/LOF.  Probably, starshells etc that actually illuminate for LOS purposes are problematic to program.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not convinced that it should, for the Soviets at least.

I could kind of accept it for the Germans, but TBH there isn't much evidence of them using 'forward air control' in quite the way the western allies did.

What is the rationale of the current mechanics Red Thunder governs air attack by anyway? It's inconsistent with the other games and its problem has nothing to do with whether the Russians used Forward Air Controllers or not. The whole thing is just really weird. They're far too responsive and controllable in the active phase, taking orders to point attack individual foxholes  which they most certainly did not do in 1944. But that's not the worst issue with them by far. 

It's that they cannot be controlled at all or influenced in the planning phase that makes them an irrelevant feature. They seriously whiff attacks even when given a TRP based on some silly RNG value. They don't even try to attack sometimes and thus the RNG for them is so wide as to be pointless. You're better off just abstracting the consequences of their attacks by reducing target headcounts and placing some suggestive map craters in the editor. But man what a waste of a feature.

Edited by SimpleSimon

22 hours ago, Macisle said:

I understand the logic behind the current system, but it basically prevents the feature from being used -- which is stupid in a tactical game. So, let the player get the use of air as a tactical asset by setting orders in pre-planning and then let him reap the fate of Eastern front air after the pre-planned air attacks have been completed, if the planes still have ammo.

Exactly my point.

4 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

It's that they cannot be controlled at all or influenced in the planning phase that makes them an irrelevant feature. They seriously whiff attacks even when given a TRP based on some silly RNG value. They don't even try to attack sometimes and thus the RNG for them is so wide as to be pointless. You're better off just abstracting the consequences of their attacks by reducing target headcounts and placing some suggestive map craters in the editor. But man what a waste of a feature.

Again my point, whats the difference between controlling german air support in Normandy and in Russia ?

On 1/16/2021 at 2:54 PM, DuckCuckem said:

Any chance of fresh information or screenshots?

Welcome to the forums, bud. They are releasing Black Sea on Steam, this Thursday. I'm guessing it's all hands on deck, this week. So, it may be a bit quiet until next week, possibly February.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

No, I just don't believe in nagging about something like this.....It'll be ready when it's ready, or it won't.  Nothing we type here will make the slightest difference.  :rolleyes:

I tend towards this view as well.  And having only arrived last May and since then acquiring all of the WW2 content, I have much more content than time to play it.

Oh and +1 to the welcome @DuckCuckem.

Edited by Vacilllator

On 1/19/2021 at 2:25 PM, DerKommissar said:

Welcome to the forums, bud. They are releasing Black Sea on Steam, this Thursday. I'm guessing it's all hands on deck, this week. So, it may be a bit quiet until next week, possibly February.

I'm sure indirectly that's good news of a sort as it might expand the market for Combat Mission somewhat and maybe get the games onto Steam. 

Personally, however, all this talk about efforts being distracted onto Slitherine activities leaves me cold.  I already have the existing games.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:36 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

Given that you only joined the forum on Saturday, how would you know?

Just because I did not have an account does not mean I haven't been watching from the beginning.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, DerKommissar said:

Ah, I forgot about that. Let's just hope, I personally am rather excited for F&R but at this point who isn't?