Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

46 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

I' am afraid the turrets will have to be blown away from other things....maybe new things....things which can be shown in screenshots...yeees?

Not sure most of these will cut it - just the Panther IR and perhaps the Borgward ...

SIjWyp6.jpg

Gk9YiBD.jpg

pAoyjA2.jpg

H1lzCBK.jpg

qOlPWTz.jpg

N9f9Y87.jpg

rrV2ABL.jpg

Please note - none of these are available as mods - yet ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

3 hours ago, John1966 said:

I believe it was on display in Berlin but I think there's some controversy as to whether it actually fought in 1945. I suspect not.

If memory serves me right it was captured by the Germans from the Russians earlier in the war, then, as you point out, put on display in Berlin. I think it’s only roll during the battle for Berlin was as a road block.

I quite fancy the Borgward - bit like a tracked bathtub armed to the teeth with panzerfaust and schrecks!

Lovely, lovely maps! I can't wait to take them for a test drive. Being able to grab a master map and use it for QB or personal scenarios is fantastic. I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done that do give it a shot. It isn't that hard and it really expands the content at your fingertips. That goes especially for the folks most tired of waiting.

Recently, I grabbed one of the big Orsha maps and spent about 30-45 minutes to adapt it for QB. I set the town at the West end as an objective, painted six defensive setup zones, and put the attacker at the East edge. Then, I set the defensive groups to fall back on the town at staggered intervals with an Active stance, beginning after an hour or so.

To get going, I gave myself three platoons of PIVs, a company of armored infantry, an ATG platoon in trucks, and a mobile flak platoon. The defending Soviets got an unknown mixed Guards force.

The map offers very limited route choices for armor, due to its layout of weight-bearing bridges, water obstacles, and bog terrain. So, now, I'm in the position of having to keep a spear on the tip of my extended column, while also maintaining security along its body against counterattacks. It's been a fun, interesting ride so far with enemy air attacks and one armored counterattack. My diligent recon has kept enemy armor effect down, but the AI has done well with ATG placement and those have cost me, both in tanks and time. I'll probably have to settle for a foot in the door on the town and hopefully winning on points.

Another benefit of making new content with stock maps is that your eye becomes more keen and you can better appreciate the talent and artistry that goes into them. As I get better in the Editor, I'm forever finding more gold in the stock maps that I didn't notice before.

So, I'm super excited about the map and scenario magic that Ben Park and crew have conjured up for us and am looking very forward to getting my grubby little fingers on it!

On 10/1/2020 at 10:24 AM, Artkin said:

Release the update or Macisle's maps get it !!!!!!!!!

But yeah idk why nobody talks about Orsha, its bfc's biggest series of maps. And they're excellent for what they are as you stated. Total ambush fest

Edit:

I decided to spend a few hours adding an attacker AI plan and improving the defender setup on the Orsha MM5 QB attack map adaption.

It's now playable solo either side, with variations to the plans.

Feed the monkey!

Orsha Master Map 5 Attack QB Map

Edited by Macisle
Linked file updated...again.

Thanks Masicle!  I have done similar for myself. I occasionally do a batch of  simple scenarios and then leave them sit for a couple of months while working on others or whatever. Pretty soon I have a lot of scenarios the details of which that I’ll have long forgotten.

My general rules of thumb are:

1. Don’t bother with anything more than victory points for terrain objectives, if that (I don’t care if I win against the AI, because I just enjoy playing in a war movie—I get down in the weeds and play my tactical best, and if I grab that village/hill/bridge, then great! If not, better luck next time);

2. Attacker/me should have not much better than about 3:2 infantry odds (I’m not an armor grog, so mostly infantry battles for me) with a few assets;

3. Attacker assets are either armor, arty, or air...pick one;

4. Enemy assets can be any or all of the above;

5. Use soft factors to tweak the odds as needed.

I haven’t saved many that I made, because to me there’s no point and not as much fun in replaying them when I already know the enemy’s composition. I always thought, though, that it would be nice to have a central repository for these type of bare-bones scenarios...no fluff, no fancy and confusing objectives (to me, anyway...it’s not that easy adding in casualty or unit type VPs), and nothing but a quick and dirty briefing: “See that big hill the other side of that bridge? Take it! There are some enemy troops in the way. They could have some armor support.”

Maybe if there are enough interested parties we could start a new thread where people post their basic type scenarios to Dropbox or whatever file sharing/download site works for them, like you just did, Macisle.

8 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Thanks Masicle!  I have done similar for myself. I occasionally do a batch of  simple scenarios and then leave them sit for a couple of months while working on others or whatever. Pretty soon I have a lot of scenarios the details of which that I’ll have long forgotten.

My general rules of thumb are:

1. Don’t bother with anything more than victory points for terrain objectives, if that (I don’t care if I win against the AI, because I just enjoy playing in a war movie—I get down in the weeds and play my tactical best, and if I grab that village/hill/bridge, then great! If not, better luck next time);

2. Attacker/me should have not much better than about 3:2 infantry odds (I’m not an armor grog, so mostly infantry battles for me) with a few assets;

3. Attacker assets are either armor, arty, or air...pick one;

4. Enemy assets can be any or all of the above;

5. Use soft factors to tweak the odds as needed.

I haven’t saved many that I made, because to me there’s no point and not as much fun in replaying them when I already know the enemy’s composition. I always thought, though, that it would be nice to have a central repository for these type of bare-bones scenarios...no fluff, no fancy and confusing objectives (to me, anyway...it’s not that easy adding in casualty or unit type VPs), and nothing but a quick and dirty briefing: “See that big hill the other side of that bridge? Take it! There are some enemy troops in the way. They could have some armor support.”

Maybe if there are enough interested parties we could start a new thread where people post their basic type scenarios to Dropbox or whatever file sharing/download site works for them, like you just did, Macisle.

Thanks for the thanks! I don't generally replay or keep the personal scenarios I make either -- just some of the QB maps. I have lots of house rules, depending on the situation. And, like you, sometimes I don't even paint victory locations. I have to force the enemy to surrender or lose the battle.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the community having a source for rough, but ready enough for some casual fun, no-frills scenarios and QB maps forever. I was thinking of calling such a series "Spit & Sawdust" -- like, S&S1, S&S2, etc. I've mentioned it once or twice on the forums, but didn't get much reaction.

I've got one more QB map on hand I'll post here to help folks feed the monkey. It's Hind's brilliant "Rough Marsh Hills" map. I added AI plans for both sides and noted that in the description. Didn't add an attack map file name, but that's what it is.

Rough Marsh Hills by Hind (Attack Map -- playable solo either side)

Enjoy!

Damn those maps are lovely, kudos to @benpark.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, mjkerner said:

That's an interesting idea.....External input at the design stage might be a good way to develop them further, into fully fleshed out scenarios. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

In addition to QB maps and no-frills scenarios, a pool of setup phase QB saves (like the one I posted -- except after the author has finished the battle 😁) might be quite useful. That would allow file creators to choose good force balances with community downloaders getting the benefit of a blind QB without having to worry about a dud AI force or bad AI plan.

BTW, I have tested the AI plans I added to the Rough Marsh Hills by Hind map linked two posts up. I think they work pretty well for the quick passes that I did. The Orsha stuff is first pass with no testing, so...my apologies if they turn out to be a dud. The opening was fun in mine. Still haven't gotten back to finishing the battle.

If you haven't tried the Hind map, you really should. It's a classic beefy-sized Eastern Front map that looks rather flat from high up, but has tons of terrain features when you go to eye level. Some juicy reverse slope areas, too. If you're defending, crank up the AI's forces to at least +40% (and maybe give it big cats).

Right now, I'm running a company of T-34/76s, a co. of light AGs and battalion of infantry as attacking Soviets, along with various recon, arty, air & ATG support vs. an unknown German force in June. The AI chose Stugs and set them up with good long range overwatch. First casualties were my AG co. HQ and an AG platoon HQ.

As things stand, moving armor forward looks suicidal, so I decided to lay a smoke screen and set up my ATG battery to try to deal with some of the Stugs, along with point mortar fire to force buttoning up and fish for top hits.

It's really a great map to work on using terrain and C2 info passing.

Yes, as someone who never plays quick battles, this would be interesting. My guess: A Russian campaign in Berlin and / or the Seelow Heights and a German campaign with heavy tanks in Hungary. At least that's probably what I would do if I was in charge.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, Macisle said:

a pool of setup phase QB saves

It would also be interesting to play any game saves from others- something like a saved scenario, 25% of the way in (or around when everything gears up), for instance. Like the player is 2nd in command, suddenly thrown into the action (and in charge of adapting someone else's plan).

2 hours ago, benpark said:

It would also be interesting to play any game saves from others- something like a saved scenario, 25% of the way in (or around when everything gears up), for instance. Like the player is 2nd in command, suddenly thrown into the action (and in charge of adapting someone else's plan).

I pity the guy who has to take over after my guys have just rushed the objective way too early... 

Edited by wadepm

2 hours ago, benpark said:

That's a pretty cool idea -- suddenly in charge and in the thick of it.
(BTW, Orsha MM5 QB Attack map AI plans updated just now.)

3 hours ago, benpark said:

Bit like this chap then ...

https://www.paradata.org.uk/article/major-chris-keebles-account-goose-green

Great idea btw

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, Combatintman said:

If I recall correctly, this feature was on CMSF1 initial release and it was called "cocking" or something like that...

but what i really miss was the operation concept....that was pritty cool...really...a big pitty BF discarded it (start crying in solitude)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, Dan Dare said:

If I recall correctly, this feature was on CMSF1 initial release and it was called "cocking" or something like that...

but what i really miss was the operation concept....that was pritty cool...really...a big pitty BF discarded it (start crying in solitude)

You are not alone I am sure.

For CMAK and CMBB I enjoyed the ROQC quick campaign generator that Rob O created (automated spreadsheet for campaign play through of a core unit, promotions, casualty tracking, etc). It would be great if some Excel guru could figure out how to make it work for CMx2 games.

Edited by Blazing 88's

1 hour ago, Blazing 88's said:

For CMAK and CMBB I enjoyed the ROQC quick campaign generator that Rob O created (automated spreadsheet for campaign play through of a core unit, promotions, casualty tracking, etc). It would be great if some Excel guru could figure out how to make it work for CMx2 games.

I would love that!