Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

7 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Thank you - I am quite proud of it as you may have guessed.  It was quite epic to put together though but the thing that motivated me to do that scenario was the tactical problem that could be set for both players.

One of the best battles I've played in CMFB. I really admire people like you who can deliver such great scenarios. I made quite a few myself for personal use, but definitely not in your league. 

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

There is a piece of the module that is still missing. I'm not going to get into what it is but anyone paying very close attention may be able to figure it out by the lack of screenshots of it. 🙂 I cant have a proper Gallery without them.

Flak Towers please...

rrIyYmC.png

Or is it this?

mufyzcd.jpg?1

And/or this ?

NEdfE8u.jpg

All three me thinks 😎

Just now, Aragorn2002 said:

All battles are very good, but also make sure you play the Kampfgruppe Peiper campaign.

Yes, I've always been interested in KG Peiper - I once even produced and uploaded a 'What if' scenario for Talonsoft's West Front game based on the final abandonment places in La Gleize.  That was a looooooong time ago...

10 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One of the best battles I've played in CMFB. I really admire people like you who can deliver such great scenarios. I made quite a few myself for personal use, but definitely not in your league. 

It all comes down to practice.  I don't really know how it all works - I always talk about vision if you're going to design anything.  For that one, I wanted to do something snowy and big and when I saw the ground and had a bite-size account of the action from one of the Osprey OOB books, I thought 'yes that would be a good map and situation.'  I enjoy making maps (you have to when they're that sort of size).  After that I knew how the bits would fit together.  The drama, as always was the testing.

I hope you will enjoy my Fire and Rubble stuff ...

13 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

It all comes down to practice.  I don't really know how it all works - I always talk about vision if you're going to design anything.  For that one, I wanted to do something snowy and big and when I saw the ground and had a bite-size account of the action from one of the Osprey OOB books, I thought 'yes that would be a good map and situation.'  I enjoy making maps (you have to when they're that sort of size).  After that I knew how the bits would fit together.  The drama, as always was the testing.

I hope you will enjoy my Fire and Rubble stuff ...

Of that I have no doubt. I realize I'm often behaving like a pain in the back side, but for me you and all the others working on Fire and Rubble are nothing short of artists. 

19 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

I've ben reading about them in The Bloody Streets. Although the book doesn't go into a great detail about the battles with them they did say that when the flak towers hit a tank it's basically disintegrated.

I'm reading the same book 🤓...

Not only did they pack a nasty punch but they had a 'decent' reach also...atleast one of them engaged the ruskies at 13000 meters out it seems.

37 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

I've ben reading about them in The Bloody Streets. Although the book doesn't go into a great detail about the battles with them they did say that when the flak towers hit a tank it's basically disintegrated.

12.8 cm Flakzwilling 40/2 will do that - dual 12.8 cm Flak 40 capable of firing 20 rounds per minute. Yikes!!

20 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

I'm reading the same book 🤓...

Not only did they pack a nasty punch but they had a 'decent' reach also...atleast one of them engaged the ruskies at 13000 meters out it seems.

That had to be an amazing shot. Think about the variables the height of the tower, the angle of depression possible wind, target size and range. Those guns weren't normally used for aimed shots. I have both editions of Bloody Streets but I haven't read the second yet. I don't remember too much about the flak towers.

50 minutes ago, jtsjc1 said:

That had to be an amazing shot. 

The book does not specify if the flaktower actually used aimed fire against individual targets at those ranges...or if was more like volleys of fire being directed at a specific area...i'm guessing the later.

Otherwise it would indeed be impressive markmanship 😊...

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking at the parapet of the tower in comparison to the height of the gun trunnions, I reckon direct fire is out of the question.

For sure they couldn't fire at targets too close, but they could depress the guns enough to fire on targets within the range of CM maps. The Zoo flak tower's 12.8cm guns were used to assist in the defence of the Moltke Bridge, the Government district and approaches to the Reichstag about 2-3km away. The Soviets wisely never bothered to assault the towers since even their massive 230mm howitzers could do little damage. However this in turn restricted some of the Soviet operations to dusk and night time.

I guess we may not see them in game, but as off map direct-fire support for the defenders? Interesting prospect.

33 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I guess we may not see them in game

Anyone really desperate for some flaktower action can always fire up Sniper Elite 2 and get to singlehandedly work their way to the top. It may not be too historical but it is an interesting experience nevertheless.

11 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Anyone really desperate for some flaktower action can always fire up Sniper Elite 2 and get to singlehandedly work their way to the top. It may not be too historical but it is an interesting experience nevertheless.

Good game I do remember the flak tower. 

1 minute ago, jtsjc1 said:

Good game I do remember the flak tower. 

Agreed, I also have SE3 and SE4 which are nice for a bit of sniping action.  Not so realistic, but who doesn't love a sniper's rifle?  And you get quite a few to play with...

Anyway I run the risk of digression disapproval once more 😉.

31 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Indirect fire = yes; Direct fire = nope

Yes, I can't see how the two wrecked IS2s in that photo could have been targetted from the top of the tower.

The site you linked does however talk about the tower guns being used in the AT role (e.g. against targets on the Moltke bridge as mentioned above).  Presumably with a bit more range, the gun elevations could be depressed enough to be brought to bear.

Edited by Vacilllator

12 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

The site you linked does however talk about the tower guns being used in the AT role (e.g. against targets on the Moltke bridge as mentioned above).  

Yep, I read that too. But I don´t see how that could be physically possible unless they somehow managed to elevate the gun platforms enough to allow for direct fire. 

Distance from the Flaktower to Moltke Bridge and Reichstag was about 3000 metres.

image.thumb.png.230d26fa9d763fe84c481e6cd29f18d6.png

Edited by DesertFox

21 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Distance from the Flaktower to Moltke Bridge and Reichstag was about 3000 metres.

I like your map, I was too lazy to check distances 😉.

So they would (I think) have been firing above horizontal to reach out that far (let alone the 13km range mentioned from the book above)?  If so perhaps it was possible? 

Must try maximum elevation on my Tiger gunsights in Tank Crew and see what that looks like...