Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

55 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Happy to talk about that if you want ...

I haven't seen my mother for over a year now because of the pandemic and probably won't see her until next year because of it - in fact I fear that I may never see her before she passes away.  I got stuck for three and a half months in Afghanistan because of the pandemic,  I got quarantined for two weeks when I finally got home because of the pandemic.  Three of my colleagues have died because of the pandemic and eleven have caught COVID-19.  Obviously as you should know quite well from your wife - the whole time I was in Afghanistan I was wondering whether I was going to wake up at zero late thirty with broken glass all over my bed, ringing ears and have to go out and shoot some bearded zealot carting an AK and a suicide vest.

Then of course I have to worry that my wife's work dropped off the side of the cliff for a couple of months and thinking about how we were going to cope and when I got home having to focus on family life which is always a balance of doing good stuff and the inevitable jobs that need doing.

Despite that, when I got home, I cranked out a ton of work on my scenario in order to support the earliest possible release of this module.

Now that is not a developer's point of view, it is a testers point of view and I'm sure other testers have faced similar challenges.  I contend that:

• It is facile to assert that COVID-19 has somehow given space for more rapid development.
  • A sense of perspective is required.

Facile indeed. Argument of BF, not me. Probably to sweeten the bitter pill of the delay at the time.

Apart from that, both my wife and I appreciate your presence in Afghanistan and dread to think what will happen if you guys leave that unhappy country. Talking about another disgrace...puts US honor in perspective. Although after what happened to the Kurds nothing surprises me anymore.

But that's not the issue here, so little to do with a sense of perspective, unless we're again looking for a 'good' reason to explain the endless delay.

Again, please quote me.

Edited by Aragorn2002

9 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Facile indeed. Argument of BF, not me. Probably to sweeten the bitter pill of the delay at the time.

Apart from that, both my wife and I appreciate your presence in Afghanistan and dread to think what will happen if you guys leave that unhappy country. Talking about another disgrace...puts US honor in perspective. Although after what happened to the Kurds nothing surprises me anymore.

But that's not the issue here, so little to do with a sense of perspective, unless we're again looking for a 'good' reason to explain the endless delay.

Again, please quote me.

Fine - sit there and imagine Steve rubbing his hands thinking 'let's bid for a military contract just so we can delay the module for a couple more months.'

I agree that a comment was made that said that COVID had allowed BFC greater focus on development but those of us that create content and kick the tyres around things have had other concerns as outlined.

Stuff happens and RL is complex - this has been a difficult year for most if not all of us.  My wider perspective is that I'm lucky to be alive and therefore banging on about whether a game module is going to release in the next few weeks or not is very much lacking in perspective.  So yes it is about perspective and as I've explained I've got a lot more skin in the CMRT module game than you will ever have.  Mine is a sh1t tin of work, yours is, when you're going to spend 50 bucks or whatever it is going to cost.

So - you're looking forward to the module ... trust me, we get it but please let's have less of the conspiracy theories about why it hasn't been released.

3 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Fine - sit there and imagine Steve rubbing his hands thinking 'let's bid for a military contract just so we can delay the module for a couple more months.'

I agree that a comment was made that said that COVID had allowed BFC greater focus on development but those of us that create content and kick the tyres around things have had other concerns as outlined.

Stuff happens and RL is complex - this has been a difficult year for most if not all of us.  My wider perspective is that I'm lucky to be alive and therefore banging on about whether a game module is going to release in the next few weeks or not is very much lacking in perspective.  So yes it is about perspective and as I've explained I've got a lot more skin in the CMRT module game than you will ever have.  Mine is a sh1t tin of work, yours is, when you're going to spend 50 bucks or whatever it is going to cost.

So - you're looking forward to the module ... trust me, we get it but please let's have less of the conspiracy theories about why it hasn't been released.

What conspiracy theories? All based on facts. Your situation as a soldier, which you chose yourself, has nothing to do with all of this, although your military instincts apparently makes you want to conquer the morale high ground. Is all the delay due to COVID? No, it isn't. So yes, let's keep things in perspective.

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

i think your comments are plain wrong. This module has been in serious development for years and promises of imminent release have been made for longer than a year now.

I think differently :) When they say 'things are looking good for a release in 6 months', you seem hold that as a promise. It is not a promise. It's a roadmap with a 'guestimation'. 

Conceptually there might never even have been any delays in the development, there were just increments of work progressing at a invariable pace. Other work taking priority it means that development was perhaps not as fast as could be theoratically possible, but I assume nobody did ever 'delay' the development just because they felt like frustrating you / insisting that the game should be released later without a rationale.

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Choose to be frustrated my foot, old boy. 🙂

Well, to feel frustration is someone does to himself. I can't feel frustrated for you, nor can you for me (luckily :)). Games can't feel frustrated, or infer frustrations upon someone else. 

So you choose, perhaps subconsciously, to be frustrated.

Edited by Lethaface

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

I think differently :) When they say 'things are looking good for a release in 6 months', you seem hold that as a promise. It is not a promise. It's a roadmap with a 'guestimation'. 

Conceptually there might never even have been any delays in the development, there were just increments of work progressing at a invariable pace. Other work taking priority it means that development was perhaps not as fast as could be theoratically possible, but I assume nobody did ever 'delay' the development just because they felt like frustrating you.

Well, to feel frustration is someone does to himself. I can't feel frustrated for you, nor can you for me (luckily :)). Games can't feel frustrated, or infer frustrations upon someone else. 

So you choose, perhaps subconsciously, to be frustrated.

Let's go for the Polder model and agree to disagree.  😎

4 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

1.5m distance!

Young boy 😉

Although I guess your older :)

Older and wiser. 😉

Maar serieus, Lethaface, waar blijft die verdomde module? Ik wil mijn Volksgrenadiers tegen de Iwans in de strijd aanvoeren. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

I totally understand that there's no promises and that development can hit all sorts of snags. I'd survive if it got delayed even more but what I'd like to see is just a little more communication from the team maybe? A roadmap would've been nice. A weekly highlight of this TOE and a discussion on how to best use them. This also creates HYPE for the module release which would be better for sales. Not hearing anything for a month is a little disheartening, especially when all the news we hear is about a military contract. 

4 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

I totally understand that there's no promises and that development can hit all sorts of snags. I'd survive if it got delayed even more but what I'd like to see is just a little more communication from the team maybe? A roadmap would've been nice. A weekly highlight of this TOE and a discussion on how to best use them. This also creates HYPE for the module release which would be better for sales. Not hearing anything for a month is a little disheartening, especially when all the news we hear is about a military contract. 

There was an interview out with Steve the other day. With Steam etc going on it will obviously have some influence but I'd say just a positive one in the end. 

5 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Indeed.  And I'm glad no-one took offence at my inappropriate suggestion 🧑‍🤝‍🧑, you never know. 

hehe, well I'm not of that side and given Aragon mentioning his wife I suspect he is neither. But I don't mind anyone having different tastes ;-). No offenses taken 😂

I understand the frustration. It was rather surprising to have left the community in 2014 and come back 6 years later and see CMRT has had no expansion other than from the player community. Still, there are a lot of games out there. I'm playing Order of Battle among other things. There is Armored Brigade on Steam which is a great, true wargame for the NATO vs WP setting. There's also Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum for the FPS view of WWII. And for the Russian Front(or Vietnam) there's Rising Storm 2. Anyway, it probably doesn't help much pointing this out unless you pull back a bit to a higher level of observation.