2022 Mid Year Update

1 hour ago, Bagpipe said:

yes, when i say every trick i mean that and more :)
It's not a gpu issue. It is that many modern cpu use lower single clock speeds with boost options as demanded by the software.
This software can't utilize that and so the single clock runs at only 3.6ghz or so which is just not enough for the larger scenarios.
Why I don't know, especially when you are only at deployment phase etc. I could go on but it's tiring lol

You don't have to explain to me how the game utilizes hardware. I also never said that it is a GPU issue.

All I can say is that with the guide linked above, the CM games run pretty fine for me now. (There is a lot of headroom for optimization, clearly!)

One thing I haven't asked: are you playing in real-time or turn-based? Because the real-time thing is a nightmare performance-wise.

7 hours ago, George MC said:

Aye hopefully it will be 'all good fun' :) thanks Steve.

Aye, this battle pack is set during the fighting between the German and Soviet armies in eastern Poland during the summer of 1944. This fighting was some of the heaviest on the Eastern Front during the entire war. This battle pack presents a series of actions recreating key moments in this fighting through the perspective of the forces involved during July and August.

It’s been a real labour of love. The genesis of this battle pack was the  series of images in the photo book Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp published by RZM and authored by Douglas Nash and Remy Spezzano. On the back of this I started work on what became the Five Days One Summer campaign which is the key campaign of this battle pack.

This battle pack would never have got anywhere without the help and support of a whole bunch of others. I would like to give a huge shout out to all those including the BFC beta testers for all the playtesting, feedback, advice and support. I am also indebted to Mr Douglas Nash for his freely given help and support in clarifying some of the details involved in several actions involving ‘Wiking’, notably the fighting around Tluszcz in mid-August 1944. If you’ve not checked out his recent trilogy “From the Realm of a Dying Sun” its well worth doing so for the background to this battle pack. Also worth having a look at is the “Operation Bagration 23 June-29 August 1944” by the Soviet General Staff which gives a ‘big picture’ view of the Soviet operations in this period.

I hope you all, as the players enjoy these scenarios and campaigns as much as I did researching and creating them. As always, I’d appreciate any comment and feedback and I look forward to seeing how this collection of scenarios and campaigns plays out for yourselves.

Cheery!

Looking forward to it. I've been working my way through "From the Realm of a Dying Sun" based on your recommendation and I can't wait to see it in action.

12 hours ago, Bagpipe said:

I cannot state how important update 5/performance improvements are. As a relatively new player to the series, I am heart-broken at being unable to enjoy the Cold War campaigns on my modern machine. I have already tried every trick in the book, and nothing helps. The game simply overloads one core but does not utilize the core boost functionality that you see in modern AMD cpus so even when it stutters to a standstill my CPU is still only at "4%" utilization at most. 
I know many of you think that it is still okay that a game these days needs a single core at 5+Ghz to run efficiently but...it's simply not.

I know the devs are aware of the issues but honestly...battle packs and PBEM tournaments should be last on the list way after performance gains because as a new player owning Cold War and wishing to buy the rest of the titles, I simply cannot in good faith spend any more cash on this series until we see results. 

I thought AMD cpu's had pretty good single core performance. What model do you have, and also what gpu? AMD gpu's arw notorious around here for having OpenGL issues, on top of poor OpenGL performance. 

I have never had performance problems in CMCW with my i5 9600k, and my now rtx 3060 ti

12 hours ago, Artkin said:

I have never had performance problems in CMCW with my i5 9600k, and my now rtx 3060 ti

No performance issues here with any Combat Mission games using an i5 9600k (no overclock) and my recently purchased RTX 3060 ti. Using Nvidia image scaling at 2560x1440 with all settings at best ColdWar looks fantastic.

Buzz

On 9/11/2022 at 10:55 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Updated CMSF2 and Black Sea (1st Quarter) - both previously released Matrix/Slitherine CM Families will get the PBEM++ and Tournament systems as free updates.  Any bug fixes and what not that have come up from Cold War development will be rolled in as well.

Once the final approval and posting of the Cold War patch is complete, releasing patches for CMSF2 and Black Sea should come out shortly.  Any cumulative and relevant bug fixes that were done for Cold War will, of course, be included.

Does this mean that the LAV-TUA will be fixed? It's been a few years now and the crew still don't use the optics on the vehicle, making it all but useless.

Same for the Gill, if there is a difference in elevation between launcher and target it will consistently miss.

Edited by Grey_Fox

On 9/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, Halmbarte said:

Let the speculation begin!

H

Already a thread on that

If were taking bets my money is on East/West Germans. British forces seem next most likely. If we're very lucky perhaps we'll get West Germans and British at the same time. Or perhaps a full Warsaw Pact pack (similar equipment and organization could mean that perhaps it isn't too much effort to do them all at the same time).

While we definitely won't be getting the French in this module, I'm hopeful that we'll be getting them eventually. And for that reason I opened up a thread inquiring about the sate of their rifles in the CMCW time period.

2 minutes ago, laurent 22 said:

My father was a French soldier in Germany in the 80s. I was around ten years old when the whole family moved there. He regularly went on maneuvers. I will only buy CW if the French army is represented there.

All NATO countries the Cold War is unthinkable without NATO. I share your sentiments Cold War is not on my list for the time being. Fair enough for US players to support it. 

2 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

Already a thread on that

Yeah, I was in that one too. 

I want the West Germans but would be happy with the Brits too...

Who am I kidding?

I'm going to buy the module pretty much whatever the content* is. I get hundreds of hours of entertainment time so the expense per hour is very low. 

H

*If we get the Brits we could use the Shock Force maps and make Iran/Iraq war scenarios. 

16 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

My father was a French soldier in Germany in the 80s. I was around ten years old when the whole family moved there. He regularly went on maneuvers. I will only buy CW if the French army is represented there.

I totally agree French army needed.  I wonder what storyline it would be?  I'd like to see story where NATO lines are bending back, nearly breaking, everything looking very bad.  Then French armor & mech infantry bust into the flank of the soviet attack and days of heavy fighting ensue.  Heck, sounds like a full  scenario/campaign pack to me.