2022 Mid Year Update

On 10/15/2022 at 3:56 AM, RockinHarry said:

Hm.... just saw this game mentioned here and got interested. At Steam it´s ~23$ with its one DLC so might take it as well since everybody here seems sort of recommending or appreciating it. Although it´s of 2017 (with latest updates) it´s low system specs and small download which is another Plus.

Hm... bits of read in the GM (can be downloaded at Steam without yet owning the game) and it really looks interesting in scale and scope. Maybe bits of reminding of Command Ops and vintage 360ies V 4 Victory series with CW setting. Also see some well known names in campaign/map design (Mad Russian) and playtesters area. So put both into the basket, but haven´t pulled the trigger yet. Bits of more reading in the GM.

Good call on “Command Ops”. I think you have a strong chance of enjoying it, but yeah - tutorials. Like any sim worth its salt there is a fair curve to climb. That price is pretty fair also.

2 hours ago, JoMac said:

Stay away from Modern titles, Rockin...Far away.

Why that? While I prefer WW2 (or even WW1) I like FC´s scale of playing brigade/divisional size engagements with sub units down to Coy/Bn sizes. Think it even goes down to Plt and team size. That´s what I like at V4V and CO as well. 😎 Btw. does anybody know if there´s some WW2 mods available for FC? IIRC I saw some mentioning of them but couldn´t find any yet. Surely would prefer playing WW2 with it.

1 hour ago, NamEndedAllen said:

Good call on “Command Ops”. I think you have a strong chance of enjoying it, but yeah - tutorials. Like any sim worth its salt there is a fair curve to climb. That price is pretty fair also.

Yes I think so, but will see. In the past I digged through most of Grigsby´s grand titles ( or Paradox ones) so should be well prepared for anything with fairly steep learning curves actually. lol 😅 My only concern is that it eats too much of my time needed for other running projects and games. So hopefully I don´t like it too much. 🤪

Remark on the 'mid year update': It would be great to have the possibility to have automatic grenade launchers be set up like on map mortars. In this way it would be possible to have platoons/companies call for fire from even more organic assets which would also make small unit action even more dynamic.

This would go for both modern and WWII titles

AGS 17:

https://funker530.com/video/ukrainian-automatic-grenade-launcher/

MK19 (especially with the upcoming marines module):

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/07/18/marines-practice-rarely-trained-machine-gun-tactic-to-prepare-for-a-fight-with-russia/

Vickers Machine gun:

https://vickersmg.blog/2021/01/17/indirect-fire-a-primer/

This would possibly go for far more weapons, but the question is if that would be doable or favourable, for example the use of SPG9 or even MBTs in the indirect fire role.

I am curious if this would be a nice addition to CM

On 10/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, danfrodo said:

It's WEGO, which is why I decided to try it out.  I am still total noob at it, but good step by step tutorial.  But work & other stupid things is killing me lately so nearly no wargaming.  Will they have wargames in heaven?  Or hell?  If so then death is looking less frightening....   I guess in hell the game will always freeze before the victory screen so you never know how you actually did.  I am thinking the only way I'll get time to play is to actually be dead.  

I like that there's so much less mouse clicking than in other games.  Give some orders, sit back & enjoy watching the fight for a while, repeat.

I'm a beta tester for the new FC, Southern Storm. I've always liked the original FC, and while obviously I can't really say anything, Southern Storm is a big upgrade/enhancement to the previous Red Storm/Fulda Gap. Same idea and course of play, but better with more info and more flexibility available to the player. Very enjoyable.

Dave

16 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I'm a beta tester for the new FC, Southern Storm. I've always liked the original FC, and while obviously I can't really say anything, Southern Storm is a big upgrade/enhancement to the previous Red Storm/Fulda Gap. Same idea and course of play, but better with more info and more flexibility available to the player. Very enjoyable.

Dave

Thanks for sharing that, Dave!  I watched the new sliterine video where they talked about the new FC, along w CM status.  It'd be interesting to have FC-modern.   I am hoping FC will basically be the bigger campaign to my CMCW fighting.  Plus has so many other countries, especially w the upcoming release.  

Realistically the new CM-RT will eat up most of my limited gaming time for a few months, but by then I'll be ready for  change of pace w more FC.

5 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Dave

Since you´re in the inner circle, do you know if there´s any available WW2 mods yet? In case it´s doable at all. Haven´t had much time yet to explore more of my latest purchase unfortunately. IIRC there was some mentioning of "editor" but haven´t yet checked that one as well.

6 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Since you´re in the inner circle, do you know if there´s any available WW2 mods yet? In case it´s doable at all. Haven´t had much time yet to explore more of my latest purchase unfortunately. IIRC there was some mentioning of "editor" but haven´t yet checked that one as well.

No, not that I'm aware of. The editor is very nice. That's probably all I can say.

Dave

On 10/18/2022 at 12:06 AM, Ultradave said:

No, not that I'm aware of. The editor is very nice. That's probably all I can say.

Dave

thanks! Still haven´t came to launch it up unfortunately. 😐 Once I came to play some I´d likely then spend more time in editor as usual. 😅

Edited by RockinHarry

14 hours ago, Sorcerer117 said:
  • I was watching some reviews about Flashpoint, and the fact that i cant chose my units and there isnt  any skirmish mode i didnt bought. 
  • Maybe next time, but still, dont being able to chose my army is kinda lacking

You can in the editor. You can make your own scenarios any way you wish.
As for the ready-made scenarios, well, of course you can't pick your units as it wouldn't be a "Scenario" then really.
FC is awesome, I am new to it and I am absolutely loving it. Even bought the DLC knowing that Southern Storm is weeks away lol sod it, fun is for having

Hi,

thanks to Sorceror117 for the Matrix video. I think the future looks very bright for CM🙂.

The fact that the military have got their teeth well into Combat Mission Professional is a big plus. One advantage is that they are bound to drive the use of CM within a larger operational setting. Flashpoint Campaigns use Command for their operational layer. (According to the video mentioned above and others.) 

Agreed that Command Ops is a stunning game. But seems to have moved nowhere in last few years. I think the developer has other interests he now puts first. 

All the best,

kip. 

5 hours ago, togi said:

hello,

can Battlefront.com game purchasers activate their already purchased games in steam without any additional payment?

Thanks

Yes, also for future releases on Steam. If you buy from Battlefront they don't lose a part of the profit to Steam, so support them and buy here.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:23 PM, Aussiegrit said:

Totally agree. I have every CM2 WW2 game and modules and have yet to play anywhere close to all the missions and campaigns. That is over a decade of playing CM2 titles. 

That's not counting the community-made content. New CM2 campaigns would have to bring something to the table we don't already have, they are a huge investment of time for the players and I can't even imagine what the authors go through.

Literally a case of picking your battles for the future of CM and Battlefront. Very interested simply to see how it goes. My CM backlog will already probably outlive me. 

How much we have to wait until we see the release of a single combat mission ww2 title on steam , at least bring us one game than add the tournament feature as a seperate update ,if it continue like this it will take years for full release of cm ww2 titles on steam bring us at least an aporoximate release date for battle for normandy or at least red thunder 

On 10/22/2022 at 5:08 AM, RockinHarry said:
On 10/18/2022 at 12:06 AM, Ultradave said:

Dave

thanks! Still haven´t came to launch it up unfortunately. 😐 Once I came to play some I´d likely then spend more time in editor as usual. 😅

Started tutorial mission and played few turns for bits of learning. There´s mission, map and campaign editor, but no database editor like in say CO2 or AB unfortunately. So no WW2 (or different period) mods. At least not without "hacking" files if it´s possible at all.

The way I see it: a map/scenario/campaign pack is just a good thing. Bfc can hire forum goers to push high quality content for us while Bfc themselves can spend their time on bug fixes, features, and the next game. 

I don't see this upcoming pack slowing down the schedule whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, Artkin said:

The way I see it: a map/scenario/campaign pack is just a good thing. Bfc can hire forum goers to push high quality content for us while Bfc themselves can spend their time on bug fixes, features, and the next game. 

I don't see this upcoming pack slowing down the schedule whatsoever. 

I think that's pretty much what they are doing now...