Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

1 hour ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Months ago I joked the game would come out in winter... Guess what, southern hemisphere winter is almost here!

At this rate, I'd bet for next northern hemisphere winter (I hope I am wrong ).

As i understand it...BFC makes most of their money on other things then the public CM2 games...

I guess they need it...because this releaserate is not good !! Its hard to make any money if they have no new products to sell.

I don't really like the current trend of comments about their products comming from BFC either...

Everything is to big...to complicated  🙁

- CMSF2 was to big, to complicated..

- R-tv was to big, to complicated..

- Fire and rubble is...to big and complicated.

It's really sad that they can't release their products faster...because if they could...they would most certainly sell..

It's a bad situation imo....

Hey;  leave CMSF2 out of your drunken ramblings! 😀

That was awesome fan service for owners of the original. Very much appreciated by many here including myself.

Otherwise, I'm not to sure what you mean by too big & complicated... what would you have them release instead?

8 minutes ago, Howler said:

Hey;  leave CMSF2 out of your drunken ramblings! 😀

That was awesome fan service for owners of the original. Very much appreciated by many here including myself.

Otherwise, I'm not to sure what you mean by too big & complicated... what would you have them release instead?

I *think* what @RepsolCBR meant was not that it's HIS view that things are too big / too complicated, but that that's what BFC say to explain why every new release *seems* to take so long ...??

FWIW, I continue to hope that the somewhat slow release schedule is partly because CM3 is being worked on as we speak ...

I admit to thinking sometimes that the balance of work / "issues" on CM2 is a little off - I guess mainly because of the decisions taken many moons ago over the structure of CM2.

For example: there are (almost) infinite pains taken to get new release TOE / ammunition load-outs etc right (which is good, of course), but we still have to accept (rather too often for my taste) AP shells exploding harmlessly, repeatedly, on a tree sitting exactly in front of the aiming-point centre of mass of a target AFV.

I guess that the latter is difficult / impossible to address because of the way the CM2 engine works: but I'd sooner see a solution to that than addressing the correct shoulder patches on the uniforms of *insert nation here* troops in an expansion package.

Or am I being unfair?

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

I *think* what @RepsolCBR meant was not that it's HIS view that things are too big / too complicated, but that that's what BFC say to explain why every new release *seems* to take so long ...??

The problem with making a realistic game ... reality is complicated. ( and really big :lol: )

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

....because of the decisions taken many moons ago over the structure of CM2...  are (almost) infinite pains taken to get new release TOE / ammunition load-outs etc right (which is good, of course), but we still have to accept (rather too often for my taste) AP shells exploding harmlessly, repeatedly, on a tree sitting exactly in front of the aiming-point centre of mass of a target AFV.

This imbalance during the ever increasing attempts to sim "realism" is something that has become more obvious as time passes.  Yes, it's wonderful that every rivet on a tank or uniform items for "July 1944" are accurate.  But, we also have other longstanding issues that are quite major that BF is unable to solve eg: troops panicking in "unrealistic" directions, weird LOS phenomena, pathing issues, and other items that we're not sure are bugs or simple eccentricities of the engine. 

One gets the feeling that the CM2 game engine has gotten so complex/unwieldy that solving one issue often gives rise to some other problem.  I recall the frustration re CM1 becoming problematic which led to the development of CM2.  Am wondering if CM2 is now headed in that same direction and may be becoming too cumbersome for its own good. 

I note that after all these years of CM2 development I am unable to get any CM2 game to run on my brand new vanilla Win 10 machine.  Installation issues should have been solved many years ago.  Really hope that CM3 is on the horizon.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

This imbalance during the ever increasing attempts to sim "realism" is something that has become more obvious as time passes.  Yes, it's wonderful that every rivet on a tank or uniform items for "July 1944" are accurate.  But, we also have other longstanding issues that are quite major that BF is unable to solve eg: troops panicking in "unrealistic" directions, weird LOS phenomena, pathing issues, and other items that we're not sure are bugs or simple eccentricities of the engine. 

One gets the feeling that the CM2 game engine has gotten so complex/unwieldy that solving one issue often gives rise to some other problem.  I recall the frustration re CM1 becoming problematic which led to the development of CM2.  Am wondering if CM2 is now headed in that same direction and may be becoming too cumbersome for its own good. 

I note that after all these years of CM2 development I am unable to get any CM2 game to run on my brand new vanilla Win 10 machine.  Installation issues should have been solved many years ago.  Really hope that CM3 is on the horizon.

Have you identified why it doesn't run on your new PC? I'm in the process of looking for a new one, but if it doesn't run CM - no sale!

Make sure no bloatware causes problems. I have had that with a sound enhancement app that crashed CM and some other games by small devs.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Do you add exclusions for the game folders in Windows Defender (or whatever they are currently calling it).....That's the current suspect in @Erwin's difficulties.

Nope - never had to. I had issues with Avast but only with CM betas (kept putting em into quarantine) so switched back to Windows Defender and not had any issues at all.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

I added an SSD to my old workhorse a few months ago, putting the OS and apps on the SSD and using my old HDD for the file libraries. That meant a clean windows 10 install. I also moved CMBN to the SSD (Documents folder is on the HDD). I had no issues installing any of my CM2 titles. All work normally.

But yes, I also really hope CM3 is on the horizon.

22 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Months ago I joked the game would come out in winter... Guess what, southern hemisphere winter is almost here!

More than a year ago I predicted a fall 2020 release. I'm beginning to fear even that was too optimistic.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:20 AM, rocketman said:

Have you identified why it doesn't run on your new PC? I'm in the process of looking for a new one, but if it doesn't run CM - no sale!

Am going to see if disabling Win Defender does the trick.  While the older version of Defender was (I am told) "passive" the new version is "active".  Perhaps it's so new that so far only I have the new version among CM players(?)   Have been having flashbacks to the late 90's when "Panzer Elite SE" was the best sim out there.  One spent more time trying to get PESE to work than actually playing the game.

have you got the game to work yet rocketman? i have a new machine, be it about from 02/02/19 and all is good... win 10 user to, SSD in C/; and D/ games are in D/ drive, it must be something else stopping it.

• 2 weeks later...

When posting the screenshots for the Beta AAR I haven't taken time to "stop and smell the flowers", so to speak, on Ben's Berlin lap. So i thought if might be nice to share these screenshots that @benpark took. They aren't from the AAR map but damn are they nice,

Ben 4.jpg

Ben 1.jpg

Ben 2.jpg

Ben 3.jpg