Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

The fly in the ointment, so to speak, was the Ministry of Defense's unexpected interest in CM, as has been mentioned elsewhere. That's workproduct that y'all will never see in detail and nobody's going to talk about but it shouldn't be a surprise that a few of us were kept pretty busy for awhile doing stuff that wasn't Fire and Rubble. BFC has the luxury of telling the discussion board "It'll be finished when its finished". For government work the proper response is "Deadline? Yes SIR! We'll do it SIR!" :o:P  Fire and Rubble has been very close to being done for a very long time but BFC has been tied up with too much good fortune lately.

Yes, and downplayed the consequences for the release of Fire and Rubble to keep the community happy. That's all rather obivious. We could indeed face another RtV drama, let's prepare ourselves for that.

I'm far from bored. Yes, there's always enough content in the other CM games to play with. Lately the superb Goumier mod by mjkerner for instance gives me the opportunity to play a series of great quick battles. and yes, there's so much more still to explore, but that's not the point. It should be possible to inform about a very general period of release (Autumn) without the usual indignant reactions.

Btw, people, John Tiller Software  (Panzer Campaings) has a sale going at the moment. Nothing spectacular, but it might be worth to pick up a couple of titles. I enjoy using playing Panzer Campaign in combination with CM by making small quick battles. A dream team.

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Btw, people, John Tiller Software  (Panzer Campaings) has a sale going at the moment. Nothing spectacular, but it might be worth to pick up a couple of titles. I enjoy using playing Panzer Campaign in combination with CM by making small quick battles. A dream team.

That sounds interesting....  How do you feed back the result of the CM battle into Panzer Campaigns?

1 hour ago, Majick said:

That sounds interesting....  How do you feed back the result of the CM battle into Panzer Campaigns?

Well, that's a problem I haven't solved yet. Depending on which site is victorious, i withdraw units and don't use them for several turns. But if one uses one's imagination it's still fun.

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

The only 'inside joke' I can see here is the unreliability of BF release dates. Gaming sites like Wargamer most certainly see it that way.

Yes.Yes they do. And I won't add to that. 🙂

I'm asking whether everything is on schedule for an autumn release.

As far as I'm concerned it's on schedule for a summer release. But I thought that with Rome to Victory last year and it came out in November. How's that? Does that answer the question?

12 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes.Yes they do. And I won't add to that. 🙂

As far as I'm concerned it's on schedule for a summer release. But I thought that with Rome to Victory last year and it came out in November. How's that? Does that answer the question?

It does. I know by now such statements are not written in stone, but it's something to hold on to.

1 hour ago, Commanderski said:

My opinion on all this is that's it's ready when it's ready.   It's better to have people complaining about when it's going to be released then complaining that it's buggy, uniforms aren't correct, why did they release it so soon, etc...

Thank you for sharing this wisdom. 😄

20 minutes ago, wadepm said:

Indeed.  I have rescheduled my entire summer around a 21 Sept release. 

In your case I can understand that.😁

More useless comments are welcome, so please don't hesitate.

Edited by Aragorn2002

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Well, that's a problem I haven't solved yet. Depending on which site is victorious, i withdraw units and don't use them for several turns. But if one uses one's imagination it's still fun.

We need some technical guru to tell us how to edit the save file. now that would be something...

9 minutes ago, Majick said:

We need some technical guru to tell us how to edit the save file. now that would be something...

Indeed. I'm studying the editor at this moment and it's not as limited as I at first thought. I found out it's possible to use the Kursk oob in combination with the Charkow 43 map in order to recreate the Fourth battle of Charkow in August 1943.  

Edited by Aragorn2002

15 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Really don't understand your attitude. I'm not asking for a release date. I'm asking whether everything is on schedule for an autumn release. Not such a strange question, given the fact the AAR is upon us already. Autumn means still another four or five months. You could answer by describing the development of the scenarios, campaigns, artwork etc. like you did some time ago, instead of telling people to 'ride the wave, dude...' You can tell that at the start of the development of a game, not after a wait this long.

The only 'inside joke' I can see here is the unreliability of BF release dates. Gaming sites like Wargamer most certainly see it that way.

Your not asking for a release date, but at the same time you are talking about the unreliability of release dates.

I think Elvis just spoke his mind for a bit. You seem a little agitated. Chill out, it's only a computer game. 

20 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

No. Something unexpected may come up in a weather forecast but they'll still broadcast somefink.

Plus the weather get's released anyway!

On more serious note, the weatherman actually has radar images and calculations to base his predictions on. I've not often come across a full product sized backlog with each item estimated based on evidence based prior experience. And that's not counting the 'non-functional' things that has to be done for a release.

Usually people just stare in the void and come up with a date which they want to be finished and call that a release date. 🙂

18 hours ago, Freyberg said:

I remember years ago I used to do relatively simple software development - websites with little databases and stuff (a job I came to hate) - and clients would get annoyed because my time estimates were often wrong. But often it was like doing a puzzle. It's like asking, 'how many minutes will it take you to finish the Times Crossword?' Until you solve it, sometimes you just don't know what the answer is.

Lol. :)

I started my IT / sw development career in similar fashion. Or at least we were providing hosting etc to customers and doing some simple projects on the side. The first time we did such a side project, my colleague responsible for the quotation simply asked my other colleague 'when do you think this will be done?'. Then he went on to actually use that guesstimate in the actual quotation. I was sort of perplexed, as there was like 0 rational behind the guesstimate and from there the basis of the quotation. 

Later I was doing the quotation on the very empiric formula: 'guesstimate' x2 (because my colleague was always to optimistic) x2 (because he only calculated the programming work and forgot about testing etc in his guestimation. Than you have arrived at break even, so if you want to make some money throw it on top of that.

It sort of worked good enough. But I've always found it funny how people just believe such predictions at face value while there is 0 rationale behind the outcome.

Because project managers etc still be always asking 'when is it finished', I've come up with a new solution. Identify this continuing questioning behavior as the 'when is it done syndrome' and just give some silly answer like 2022-03-26 08:43 CET. That usually shuts them up for a while. 
Or just ask: 'when does it needs to be done'? We can work towards a deadline, but it won't be the same functionality and quality compared to 'when it's done'. If you only steer on deadline and or money, quality and functionality become the variables. 
So, turned around: if you steer on functionality and quality, the deadline becomes variable. 

Edited by Lethaface

44 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

I think Elvis just spoke his mind for a bit. You seem a little agitated. Chill out, it's only a computer game. 

I did seriously think that there might be some kind of inside joke thing going on. It is the same question that has been asked on this forum for 20 years and it has been the exact same answer for the past 20 years. It has never changed....ever. Why does anyone think that answer might be different now? And it isn't because we want to withhold something. It's for exactly the reasons that you describe.

3 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

I did seriously think that there might be some kind of inside joke thing going on. It is the same question that has been asked on this forum for 20 years and it has been the exact same answer for the past 20 years. It has never changed....ever. Why does anyone think that answer might be different now? And it isn't because we want to withhold something. It's for exactly the reasons that you describe.

It probably started off as an inside joke, but unfortunately not everybody gets it 😇🤣

And to be honest I for one prefer the 'when it's done approach'. I get it that people like new infos and like to have the toys in their hands asap. Of course, I like too.

But I prefer quality and functionality over counting days and dreaming about future stuff. Like you said, enjoy the now! :)

I have lots of BF content yet to play, so really I shouldn't complain, as Elvis said (for example currently playing Studienka for the first time, as soviets).  However, must face the facts:  The US is approaching a Stalingrad-level catastrophe: fall & winter w no football.  This is when BF must do it's patriotic and moral duty and use its resources to help Americans get through a time of unprecedented national peril. 

When the rainy season hits here in Oregon I am gonna need some Fire & Rubble.

11 hours ago, wadepm said:

Indeed.  I have rescheduled my entire summer around a 21 Sept release. 

I'd like it sooner, but since that's my birthday, I'd be happy to fire up FR while listening to the song Earth, Wind, and Fire wrote for me.

4 hours ago, Lethaface said:

And to be honest I for one prefer the 'when it's done approach'. I get it that people like new infos and like to have the toys in their hands asap. Of course, I like too.

But I prefer quality and functionality over counting days and dreaming about future stuff. Like you said, enjoy the now! :)

Amen.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

I'm sure the community would appreciate an update on the current status of Fire and Rubble. Can we expect a release in the autumn?

It's a simple enough question.  If the answer will turn out to be a 'no' I can only conclude that F&R has become a sideshow, like R2V was. I don't buy all this 'we don't even know ourselves, things have become so complicated, so how dare you to ask' talk, followed by the usual declarations of support, understanding or even indignation.

All of this doesn't bode well for the future, so yes, Wade, I'm pretty agitated about it all.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 7/11/2020 at 1:31 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Were you toying with me or didn't you know about this post either?  :)

13 hours ago, Majick said:

Were you toying with me or didn't you know about this post either?  :)

I wasn't toying, Majick. I must have noticed that post, but never read it. It's only since a couple of months that I become trully interested in the combination of PZC and CM. But I'm going to read your post. Looks very interesting, so thank you for pointing that out.

From having a quick read I think lack of AI scripting in the CM side might be a problem.  And also not sure how you can predict an enemy assault is going to happen in PzC, although I guess I could live with just playing my assaults,