Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

When posting the screenshots for the Beta AAR I haven't taken time to "stop and smell the flowers", so to speak, on Ben's Berlin lap. So i thought if might be nice to share these screenshots that @benpark took. They aren't from the AAR map but damn are they nice,

Ben 4.jpg

Ben 1.jpg

Ben 2.jpg

Ben 3.jpg

Thanks for posting these. Very nice and very excited about the coming goodies like Editor-option damaged walls and various new flavor objects! One question:

Has "dynamic damaged wall functionality" been added to modular buildings? By this, I mean when a section collapses, any formerly attached wall facings on remaining sections are dynamically switched to the modular building damaged wall state (the knocked-out building wall state shown in your pics above), no matter what their former state was.

Currently, if a section collapses, the remaining sections maintain whatever they were before. So, you get very unnatural things like a vertical row of "doors to the sky" or super-clean lines if the internal walls had been removed by the designer. Given that CMFR is so heavily focused on urban combat, I've been hopeful that BF would finally "complete" the modular building functionality to apply the damaged wall state to remaining, formerly attached wall facings after touching sections collapse.

Edited by Macisle

6 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

When posting the screenshots for the Beta AAR I haven't taken time to "stop and smell the flowers", so to speak, on Ben's Berlin lap. So i thought if might be nice to share these screenshots that @benpark took. They aren't from the AAR map but damn are they nice,

Ben 4.jpg

Ben 1.jpg

Ben 2.jpg

Ben 3.jpg

Yepp...NICE ! 😁

6 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Ben 4.jpg

Ben 1.jpg

Ben 2.jpg

Nice nice. But when does BFC get rid of the out of place looking half-timbered roof section beeing the default for all modular buildings? This bugs me since CMFB. Otherwise, nice pics.

Example from CMFB (germany tag). The 8x16m modular building has original pre 19th/20th century half timbered roof type. The 8x8m ones in background have a modded neutral wall texture (roof1 [germany].bmp) and more appropiate clay type roof tiles. There got to be a way to change roof types (textures) like one can do with facades, or better yet adapt automatically. This would be the best option. Having that rather medieval style for most the modular buildings as only option is a bad choice. 

CMFB-CMRT_ModB_Roofs.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I'm sure the community would appreciate an update on the current status of Fire and Rubble. Can we expect a release in the autumn?

Totally agree!. After several screenshots and test on the game (BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU) I believe that exists enough info about the status of the development for sharing it with the community.

Edited by Jumpete

I'm sure the community would appreciate an update on the current status of Fire and Rubble. Can we expect a release in the autumn?

I expect the only useful response is when it's actually officially released for pre order.

I assume you're more interested in this release, although you were pressing regularly for the previous release, you never actually purchased it - am I mistaken?

I suspect that there might be some members of "the community" who couldn't give a monkey's about an update, because it is blinding obvious from the fact that Declan and The Colonial One are providing AARs for us to watch that things are coming along quite nicely.

1 hour ago, PIATpunk said:

I expect the only useful response is when it's actually officially released for pre order.

Pretty much spot on. And I really really really really really really don't want to run into a pre-order to release time like Rome to Victory. Historically, it's generally been 4-6 weeks between when pre-orders open and something is released. I'd like to see a return to that for Fire and Rubble.......With the understanding that that is the target...not a promise.  

3 hours ago, PIATpunk said:

I assume you're more interested in this release, although you were pressing regularly for the previous release, you never actually purchased it - am I mistaken?

What do you mean with the previous release? I did buy r2v if that's what you mean, so in that case you are indeed mistaken. I've always considered the R2V module to be an annoying obstacle on the road to Fire and Rubble. And although I admit R2V is quite nice, I still think it caused far too much delay. So if you're trying to insinuate I'm only interested in pressing for a release instead of the module itself you're twice mistaken.

Opening pre-orders isn't the only useful response. I'm asking whether a autumn release is possible. That's not exactly asking for a release date, is it?

Edited by Aragorn2002

Pretty much spot on. And I really really really really really really don't want to run into a pre-order to release time like Rome to Victory. Historically, it's generally been 4-6 weeks between when pre-orders open and something is released. I'd like to see a return to that for Fire and Rubble.......With the understanding that that is the target...not a promise.  

So you still can't even predict the season the module will be released in? Ah, well.

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I suspect that there might be some members of "the community" who couldn't give a monkey's about an update, because it is blinding obvious from the fact that Declan and The Colonial One are providing AARs for us to watch that things are coming along quite nicely.

Things are coming along quite nicely for years and years now, my dear wart. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

No. Something unexpected may come up in a weather forecast but they'll still broadcast somefink.

I think, Elvis, is eluding to..."Something Wicked This Way Comes" :-)

9 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

🙂

But seriously, Elvis. You guys are game developers, not weathermen. 😉

Live in the moment, man. Have you wrung everything out of Rome to Victory that can? I still haven't played out all of the original CMBN. Keep an eye on progress if you're interested in the module but ride the wave, dude.

I wonder sometimes if it's an inside joke that once something is released people start asking about a release date for the next thing in the pipeline. Let's play what we've got. There is an enormous amount of content at this point. 

3 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Is estimating remaining development time easier than predicting the weather? 😉

I remember years ago I used to do relatively simple software development - websites with little databases and stuff (a job I came to hate) - and clients would get annoyed because my time estimates were often wrong. But often it was like doing a puzzle. It's like asking, 'how many minutes will it take you to finish the Times Crossword?' Until you solve it, sometimes you just don't know what the answer is.

The fly in the ointment, so to speak, was the Ministry of Defense's unexpected interest in CM, as has been mentioned elsewhere. That's workproduct that y'all will never see in detail and nobody's going to talk about but it shouldn't be a surprise that a few of us were kept pretty busy for awhile doing stuff that wasn't Fire and Rubble. BFC has the luxury of telling the discussion board "It'll be finished when its finished". For government work the proper response is "Deadline? Yes SIR! We'll do it SIR!" :o:P  Fire and Rubble has been very close to being done for a very long time but BFC has been tied up with too much good fortune lately.

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Live in the moment, man. Have you wrung everything out of Rome to Victory that can? I still haven't played out all of the original CMBN. Keep an eye on progress if you're interested in the module but ride the wave, dude.

I wonder sometimes if it's an inside joke that once something is released people start asking about a release date for the next thing in the pipeline. Let's play what we've got. There is an enormous amount of content at this point. 

Really don't understand your attitude. I'm not asking for a release date. I'm asking whether everything is on schedule for an autumn release. Not such a strange question, given the fact the AAR is upon us already. Autumn means still another four or five months. You could answer by describing the development of the scenarios, campaigns, artwork etc. like you did some time ago, instead of telling people to 'ride the wave, dude...' You can tell that at the start of the development of a game, not after a wait this long.

The only 'inside joke' I can see here is the unreliability of BF release dates. Gaming sites like Wargamer most certainly see it that way.

Edited by Aragorn2002