Ministry of Defense video

Interesting - are there likely any spin-offs from the MOD simulator that could end up in consumer game?

Funnily enough in Colchester most of the paras in barracks are on lockdown, or sent home - though their dep. commander is in doo doo after hosting an impromtu officers party. 

16 minutes ago, Wicky said:

Interesting - are there likely any spin-offs from the MOD simulator that could end up in consumer game?

Funnily enough in Colchester most of the paras in barracks are on lockdown, or sent home - though their dep. commander is in doo doo after hosting an impromtu officers party. 

It was an eye testing event he will be fine!!!

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

We then work with them to design solutions for things CM currently can't do or can't do the way they need it to.  Those designs are refined and then prioritized with other needs. 

I hope in the agreement you signed you specified that those improvements will be available commercially as well afterwards.?

...are there likely any spin-offs from the MOD simulator that could end up in consumer game?

Even the Beta testers were kept out of the loop on this project. BFC played its cards very close to the vest on this project. You're hearing about this now because Slitherine posted something, and what they discussed publicly is about as much as BFC can discuss publicly. Talk too much and we may wind up camping out in the Ecuadorian embassy trying to avoid arrest. :o:P

Edited by MikeyD

I recall CMSF I being used just to show US Army logistics officers just how easy it is to expend literally tons of ammunition in a typical mechanized company engagement. I think that was just an individual initiative by the training school who had purchased several copies of the standard commercial game .

7 hours ago, Bufo said:

I hope in the agreement you signed you specified that those improvements will be available commercially as well afterwards.?

Sorta.  The thing is there's nothing (yet) that we've developed for them that we would put into a commercial product.  They're the sorts of things that appeal to the lab coat type only.  That's not the sort of stuff we're interested in having generally available and being obligated to support.

And no, I can't tell you what's been added ;)

Steve

You do realise you have destroyed the British Army from within;

Sgt: "Perkins what the hell are you doing? You were supposed to be on patrol 10 minutes ago!" 

Perkins: "Err yep.... be right with you sarge... just got to split off this scout team, give them a hunt command"

Sgt: "Perkins get your backside in gear!"

Perkins: "Yep yep, just calculating the turn.... just got to quickly watch this replay" 

Sgt: 'PERKINNNNSS!"

Seriously though, really interesting to see this. Well done. 

Edited by Josey Wales

Mixed feelings about all this. Good to see BF making money and securing their future. Well deserved, business first etc. Less happy since this will inevitably result in more delay and a slower output of games for us. But impressive stuff,  that has to be said.

9 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sorta.  The thing is there's nothing (yet) that we've developed for them that we would put into a commercial product.  They're the sorts of things that appeal to the lab coat type only.  That's not the sort of stuff we're interested in having generally available and being obligated to support.

And no, I can't tell you what's been added ;)

Steve

Yeah judging by my experience its probably related to their assessment/evaluation things, so yes not so much interesting.

5 hours ago, Josey Wales said:

You do realise you have destroyed the British Army from within;

Sgt: "Perkins what the hell are you doing? You were supposed to be on patrol 10 minutes ago!" 

Perkins: "Err yep.... be right with you sarge... just got to split off this scout team, give them a hunt command"

Sgt: "Perkins get your backside in gear!"

Perkins: "Yep yep, just calculating the turn.... just got to quickly watch this replay" 

Sgt: 'PERKINNNNSS!"

Seriously though, really interesting to see this. Well done. 

Perkins, suppress that building!

No sir... there's no point.

What?

NO AIM POINT

Congratulations to the BFC team for what I think is the best endorsement for a simulation like CMx2. I can only hope that besides the $$$ stream coming via the contract, you guys also get  some feedback on the sim, the kind of feedback that "nerds in white lab coats" can generate, and that helps you make CMx2 (or future ones) better.

Thanks!

From our point of view, this is incredibly rewarding to us as it validates our core philosophy... Combat Mission is a sim first, game second.  The sorts of things that an organization like Dstl is potentially interested in (and honestly, I only have the barest knowledge of their intended uses) require the underlying model be "defendable".  Otherwise it is a waste of time and resources to test for something and then not be sure the results are reflective of reality.  It's humbling to know they have so much faith in our system, especially because they've got a view of the insides in ways not even you guys do.  We've always believed in honesty and transparency with you lot, but Dstl requires it to go much further than that for obvious reasons.

One of the fun things about working with Dstl is that they are focused on the simulation elements, not the game elements (as much).  A few things we've added cost much less in time/money compared to making the same functionality available to the general public.  Since they don't care as much about something being graphically pleasing, intuitive, foolproof, etc. we can get right into things and produce results relatively quickly.  Which is great for us because the simulation side of things is where our heart is.  Making it pretty is also fun, but can be rather annoying at times because now we have to be perfectionists about two things!

That said, don't worry about us going off the rails and forgetting about all of you.  Defense work is very fickle.  Currently this is our only active contract and it could end at any time for any number of reasons.  Knowing that, we would be fools to put all our eggs in this basket or any other defense related basket.  Plus, on the business side of things you fine folks are still the ones putting food on the table for us.  We will never forget that, nor take it for granted.  Expect as much from us as you always have, even though that's often been more than we promised :D

Steve

This is excellent stuff, I remember being very excited when I first saw ARMOR magazine touting SF1 and a few individual Canadian army units using it ad-hoc to help visualize otherwise bland wargaming; it never moved on to anything beyond such individual initiatives (which you've explained earlier). This is a massive step-up to see ready made versions for use with armed forces. Congratulations guys.

I'm reminded of how Patton was compelled to send out messages to his tankers with simple instruction like "USE TERRAIN TO MASK YOUR MOVEMENTS!" because new replacement units coming over from the states weren't adequately trained. Tank Destroy forces were considered 'elite' units because they had actually bothered to train them in basic tactics.