And now.....

I like that this is basically a sandbox. And what a sandbox! Assuming NATO forces and Warsaw Pact forces eventually are added in modules, the sky is the limit. Stuff I do now in miniatures, like Iran-Iraq War, India-Pakistan, African Bush Wars, Vietnam, the Falklands,  Ronnie and Maggie’s joint Invasion of Cuba (hey, it could have happened) are just waiting to be modded.  Great times ahead!

24 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

I like that this is basically a sandbox. And what a sandbox! Assuming NATO forces and Warsaw Pact forces eventually are added in modules, the sky is the limit. Stuff I do now in miniatures, like Iran-Iraq War, India-Pakistan, African Bush Wars, Vietnam, the Falklands,  Ronnie and Maggie’s joint Invasion of Cuba (hey, it could have happened) are just waiting to be modded.  Great times ahead!

And don't forget Thatcher! Caaaww...lol

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Yeah, they're like Volkswagen buses. Nothing between the driver and co-driver and whatever you collide with.

It had the advantage back in the day that 1) It could pull an M102 and a jeep couldn't and 2) it was air droppable and a deuce and half was not. You could heavy drop rig a M102 and it's Game Goat in one C130. And HMMVs were just a glimmer in someone's eye then.

Dave

Yo Battlefront is wildin out. This is surreal. This game is going to be way crazier than all the hype for SF2

btw what does this mean?:

"Expansive maps with 1m x 1m resolution allow for short and long range action across complex terrain"

Is this just within the normal 8x8m action square? For pixeltruppen activities, flavor objects n stuff?

Edited by Artkin

21 hours ago, Bufo said:
  • the first of the game’s campaigns follows US forces [...] Players take command of two US regiments to stop a Soviet invasion of Europe and can play the campaign in either 1982 or 1979
  • The second campaign, playing as the Soviets, traces the opening 48 hours of a fictional USSR invasion of West Germany

Not really surprised, since BFC is an American company, but I would have liked to see both sides being on the attack.

A US attack into East Germany, to liberate the country and bring it democracy of course, could have been an interesting choice for at least one of the campaigns.

17 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Not really surprised, since BFC is an American company, but I would have liked to see both sides being on the attack.

A US attack into East Germany, to liberate the country and bring it democracy of course, could have been an interesting choice for at least one of the campaigns.

If the US campaign indeed includes many player defensive battles....I think this will be a good choise. We don't have many of those and it would be intresting to see whst 'the pros' will be able to come up with when designing defensive scenarios....

It might just be mostly lokal counterattacks and meeting engagments though...

But hopefully we will see some well designed defensive battles...😋

This is how I could imagine the background story for a scenario based on an initial US attack. This first campaign would then set the scene for the second campaign, which would feature a stronger counterattack by the USSR.

---

East Germany, May 1982. Isolated protests against the rising price of bread have turned into ever larger demonstrations calling for political reforms. Soviet reluctance to stop the demonstrations by force has been perceived as a sign of weakness, and protests are spreading both within the country and elsewhere in the Eastern Bloc. After initial indecision hinting at political division, Soviet leadership has now declared that the riots have been instigated by foreign spies and constitutes an act of war against the Soviet Union.

June 1982. A crackdown has begun in East Berlin. Massacres of unarmed protesters have horrified TV viewers in the West, with increasing calls in Western Europe and the USA to do something to protect innocent people's basic human rights. Despite the massacres, order in East Berlin has not been restored, however. Several border crossings to West Berlin have been taken over by insurgents, and Soviet authories claim that West Berlin is being used as a base to resupply the rioters and organise attacks into the eastern part of the city. Billed as a limited operation, The Red Army is ordered to move into West Berlin and restore order by crushing the 'terrorist' bases.

Late June, 1982. After a series of threats and ultimatums for the Soviets to withdraw, a limited NATO force has been ordered to move into the DDR to defend the people of West Berlin and take back this important bastion of democracy and freedom. Far from being a surprise attack, the advance into Soviet territory has been publicly announced as a limited peacekeeping operation, and the NATO stated hope is that the Soviets will allow the convoy to pass into Berlin. Extremely heated debate in NATO high command about this course of action is being kept secret from the public. No nuclear weapons have been fired, but while the Red Army has so far shown restraint, it is refusing to stand aside. Both sides seem to want to contain and de-escalate the situation, but after initial skirmishes, mostly between recon units, fighting is now becoming more intense daily. Anger is building on both sides, as soldiers start to return in coffins draped by flags.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1979 Shah of Iran deposed by Islamic fundamentalists, Soviets invade Afghanstan.

US & UK invade Iran from the gulf to secure their investments and prevent Soviet takeover.

Soviets invade Iran from the north & east to secure their southern borders and prevent US/NATO takeover.

Boom!  :o

Absolutely stolen, but still absolutely plausible and a great way to get some extra value from the desert type terrain of the training centre.

I just heard the news and I'm absolutely stunned that this is actually happening now!!

Thank you @Battlefront.com for making this dream of me a reality! I preordered right away :)

On 2/3/2015 at 8:59 PM, QuiGon said:

If there will be a CMFG a dream would become true for me. I really like that setting (big fan of OFP, WiC, Wargame and RSR), so besides new modules for CMBS I would really like to see BF developing CMFG.

On 5/9/2017 at 3:07 PM, QuiGon said:

Combat Mission: Fulda Gap 85' would indeed be a dream comming true. I hope it will happen at some point.

Edited by QuiGon

On 2/16/2021 at 11:12 AM, danfrodo said:

I reread Team Yankee just last year, decades after 1st read.  Was still great. And also did History of WW3, also great.  Need to re-do Red Storm Rising!

Red Storm Rising is Awesomesauce! I will have to try the others. Fertile books for scenario ideas. 

27 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The person that you are referring to is The Milk Snatcher. 

Indeed, growing up in a coal mining area (not Somerset) that's part of something I often chant.  To myself, as no-one else gives a flying ****. 

We are better served now of course 🙄, and I'm happy to wait for 3 weeks (+) for something to arrive from the continent...