And now.....

46 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

You are very welcome.  I think people will be surprised at how balanced the fighting is between the US and Soviet forces.  It reminds me more of CMBN than CMBS or CMSF wrt to force balance.

Oh, my, is this on the money. My comment in one playtest was how people (including myself) are used to pretty much cruising around with almost impunity in M1's.  Well, not here. M60s, M48s....   it's a WHOLE 'nuther ball game. And let's not even get into the cracker box M113s 🙂

The mantra from when I was a young Army officer during this exact time (commissioned in '79) was "If you can be seen, you can be hit. If you are hit, you are dead"  This has been driven home to me any number of times very lately.

Dave

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The expansion & modding options for this game will be enormous, with just a couple of modules it could almost certainly handle the USSR's adventures in Afghanistan and all the way back to to America's involvement in Vietnam, and almost everything in between, including the Arab/Israeli wars.

PS - Suffice it to say CM:H&E will almost certainly be getting a rebuild.

This is great news. I used to only play the WW2 titles but Shock Force and Black Sea are growing on me. (The Russians look so badass in it.) Fulda Gap is cool... but Yom Kippur War/Afghanistan/Nam? Hell yeah! If Slitherine wants to help make another ww2 title I'd say lets go to North Africa. Or perhaps Western Front 1940. I know I'm in the minority here but, I definitely prefer the later war on the Eastern front rather than Barbarossa. 

Also if this comes out before F&R I'm gonna lose my mind.

Edited by Anonymous_Jonze

So this is were all of those resources were being used off!! Extremely exciting to see you going into the cold war. Not only that, but pre-orders are already open!! So we can expect the game between the next 2-4 months, hopefully.

It does seems Christmas has come somewhat late this year, but god dammn in which way it has come.

15 hours ago, JoMac said:

I could care less about Post WWII era

The Vietnam War would have been interesting. A war with more modern weapons but not as modern as in SF2 and Black Sea.

First a base game with French and Viet Minh forces, a bit later on a dlc with US forces and North Vietnam ones which use Soviet and Chinese equipment and also adds the NFL (Viet Cong) and lastly the dlc which gives the North Vietnamese even more Chinese and Soviet military support and US soldiers that wear anti-war t-shirts and together with less US air support.

That would be at least a five year long development to look forward to.

Edited by BornGinger

10 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

The Vietnam War would have been interesting. A war with more modern weapons but not as modern as in SF2 and Black Sea.

First a base game with French and Viet Minh forces, a bit later on a dlc with US forces and North Vietnam ones which use Soviet and Chinese equipment and also adds the NFL (Viet Cong) and lastly the dlc which gives the North Vietnamese even more Chinese and Soviet military support and US soldiers that wear marijuana t-shirts and spliffs in their mouth together with less US air support.

That would be at least a five year long development to look forward to.

Yeah I would take this over Fulda Gap any day. BUT, trees in Combat Mission are a pain enough these days. Imagine everything being a jungle. The LOS... Maybe Korean War?

36 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

@37mm will be able to do a MUCH better job of Heaven & Earth using this game as a basis.....Our biggest limitation there in many ways were voice files.  As the game is essentially Red vs. Red, the voice files are shared, in the current version everyone speaks Vietnamese (with a few special exceptions).

However he won't have to do that using CM:CW.....The various vehicles are already on the right sides and the bulk of the basic TOE is more or less correct too.  The biggest imitation here will be the lack of Uncons to make the local VC forces (So much for me not whingeing about Uncons, eh?  :rolleyes: ).

CM:H&E2 will be a LOT closer to the real thing.....That I can guarantee (& TBH the current version's not too shabby once immersion kicks in, which it will).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

11 hours ago, 37mm said:

Yeah I too have had my suspicions since the last round of patches (the scripts text file was full of new additions including Pattons, M113's, T-80's & LAW's ).

Excellent news and it'll be a guaranteed purchase from me.

Hell yeah. FULDA GAP!! How totally exciting. Bf should flesh this game out as much as they did with CMBN's impressive TOE. They could even push it further, and probably should. 

As mentioned even the offset assets (toys) that were developed at the time are plentiful. 

Its really cool to see a new type of munition. 

I was a field artillery FDC guy in Bamberg Germany from 1977 to 1980. It's quite a kick to see screenshots of guys in uniforms exactly like I wore.  Just thought I'd mention I remember the 2nd ACR battalion on our base upgraded from Sheridans to M60s in 1978.  

I know this is a long shot but what are the chances the game will include the Gamma Goat? :) You'll have trucks and jeeps certainly. How about something in between?

I am partial to Goats. I was also field artillery, and in the 82d. We had M102 howitzers towed by Goats and my FDC was a Goat and trailer we used to lay a tarp across to cover the gap. Gave us some good "interior" room to work.

Fun vehicles. Hard (but not impossible - don't ask how I know) to get stuck. And they swim. 6x6 Low-Low could conquer most terrain.

Edited by Ultradave

20 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Which leads me to ask if Airborne battalions will be part of the initial TO&E. ?

MAJOR FORMATIONS (NOT A COMPLETE LIST)

United States Infantry Formations

• Infantry Battalion
  • Infantry Battalion (Task Force)
  • Infantry Battalion (Berlin)
  • Air Defense Battalion
  • Calvary Troop
  • Combat Engineer Company
  • Supply Section
  • Air Controller Section
  • Forward Observer Section

Mech Infantry

• Balanced Battalion (Task Force)
  • Tank Battalion
  • Mech Infantry Battalion (Task Force)
  • Mech Infantry Battalion (Mixed)
  • Mech Infantry Battalion (Mixed Task Force)
  • Mech Infantry Battalion
  • Armored Calvary Squadron (Divisional)
  • Armored Calvary Squadron (Regimental)
  • Air Defense Battalion
  • Anti-tank Company
  • Combat Engineer Company (Mech)
  • Supply Section
  • Air Controller Section
  • Forward Observer Section

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

I know this is a long shot but what are the chances the game will include the Gamma Goat? :) You'll have trucks and jeeps certainly. How about something in between?

Ah, the Gamma Goat.  Single handedly responsible for more deaths and injuries to US Army personnel than the entire Warsaw Pact combined.  Only America could strive for such efficiency!  Says a guy with a four wheel steer M242A2 MULE :D

That aside, when I used to be into owning military vehicles this one was on my list of "if I find one locally at a good price, I'll bite".  Though I really would have preferred the M114 down the road, but Uncle Sam wanted it back for scrap so that didn't pan out.

Steve

39 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Ah, the Gamma Goat.  Single handedly responsible for more deaths and injuries to US Army personnel than the entire Warsaw Pact combined.  Only America could strive for such efficiency!  Says a guy with a four wheel steer M242A2 MULE :D

That aside, when I used to be into owning military vehicles this one was on my list of "if I find one locally at a good price, I'll bite".  Though I really would have preferred the M114 down the road, but Uncle Sam wanted it back for scrap so that didn't pan out.

Steve

Yeah, they're like Volkswagen buses. Nothing between the driver and co-driver and whatever you collide with.