And now.....

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - And if we're talking northern front then we just gotta have these:

I like that Swedish tank. It was apparently based a bit on the Stug III. And I prefer to play with Stug III tanks in my Final Blitz QBs.

A bit pity thay they didn't think of making a version which looked the same and had a similar height but with a flatter turret than tanks usually had then.

1 hour ago, BornGinger said:

I like that Swedish tank. It was apparently based a bit on the Stug III. And I prefer to play with Stug III tanks in my Final Blitz QBs.

I really hope the BFC guys will be able to get the thing to work in CM...and include it in  a module...

Like you i really like to play with the tank destroyers...They are cool ! 😎

I think the S-tank looks really mean, like some kind of predator waiting for its pray.

I will be a happy man if i get to play with it in CM....Waiting in ambush on some fairly wooded map...waiting for those russians to come...and then BANG ! 

In the open fields they may be struggeling...but on more restricted maps...they are right at home 💥💀😊

27 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Call me a hater but the Sux tank SUX!!!!

Way too specialized of a vehicle to burn cash on in a fire&manuever environment. 

Would probably be fine on the defensive if the russians didnt have airspace

Belive it or not...But i have heard it mentioned many times that back in those days the Swedish airforce was considdered to be the 3rd strongest in the world...Surpast only by the USA and...the sovietunion.

If this is actually true i dont know...but we did have more than 1000 modern combat aircraft back then.

2 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Belive it or not...But i have heard it mentioned many times that back in those days the Swedish airforce was considdered to be the 3rd strongest in the world...Surpast only by the USA and...the sovietunion.

If this is actually true i dont know...but we did have more than 1000 modern combat aircraft back then.

In the fifties and sixties apparently it was the fourth largest.

Once again somebody calls the Stug III a tank. Even the Germans didn't call it a Panzerkampfwagen which is German for tank. The Crew of the Stug wore an artillery uniform. It was artillery on tracks. Stug is short for Sturmgeschütz (Assault Gun}. You have the right to call it a tank don't get me wrong. Some people call the Jackson a tank too. 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:39 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You can see how the front section folded forward to fit over the gun support which acted as a seal (mentioned in The Cheiftain's video IIRC).

I got that bit properly wrong, looks like only those arms fold forward, the screen lifts straight up and the arms hold it in place.....What a complicated little tank (& before you start @chuckdyke it is a tank).  ;)

I am very excited about this Cold War game and look forward to it very much because it is actually the game I've always wanted. Ever since I read the paperbacks of The Third World War and Team Yankee, I wanted to game this out dozens of ways... including a what-if like, what if NATO had adopted the S-Tank widely as a defensive option, maybe as a trade-off for a concession in arms reduction treaties? What if NATO struck first? What if neither side could dominate the skies?

I got back into wargaming during quarantine, specifically inspired by news reporting of government planners using wargames as part of some thought experiments about potential outcomes of an election. What got me interested was the thought, hmm, wonder what kind of wargame(s) they used? Got me thinking of my Dad's Avalon Hill games. I tried a few, rediscovered Combat Mission (I had toyed with CM:BO, I think you call it), and enjoyed some Black Sea and Shock Force 2 scenarios.

But what I really wanted the whole time, since way back when I was a kid in high school first beginning to think about wargaming as a way to model outcomes and imagine what might happen... was this.

I keep hearing 'sandbox' and it's making me even happier. As I understand it, this will be Mac-compatible. I'm so eager to try it.

On 2/20/2021 at 6:09 AM, chuckdyke said:

the Germans didn't call it a Panzerkampfwagen which is German for tank. The Crew of the Stug wore an artillery uniform. It was artillery on tracks. Stug is short for Sturmgeschütz (Assault Gun}.

The Germans began to use it as a support vehicle for the infantry but later on changed the use of it to be an anti-tank vehicle. I think that change was the reason to why they began to produce the Stuh44, or what it was called. 

The Stug III in the service as an anti-tank vehicle is probably the reason to why it is called a tank. And then it also very much looks like a tank.

The Wespe, Nashorn and other vehicles look different than tanks and is probably the reason to why they aren't called a tank.

Edited by BornGinger

4 hours ago, BornGinger said:

The Germans began to use it as a support vehicle for the infantry but later on changed the use of it to be an anti-tank vehicle. I think that change was the reason to why they began to produce the Stuh44, or what it was called. 

The Stug III in the service as an anti-tank vehicle is probably the reason to why it is called a tank. And then it also very much looks like a tank.

The Wespe, Nashorn and other vehicles look different than tanks and is probably the reason to why they aren't called a tank.

I am not 100 % but conversational in German and they didn't call it a tank. Neither wore the crew a tank uniform. I think a co axial MG to the main gun is the criteria. 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:50 PM, RepsolCBR said:

At the height of the Cold War the Dutch army could field 1000 tanks. Unbelievable.

9 minutes ago, akd said:

Ah, but what about crew in Panzer-StuG battalions?

There is no such a thing as a Panzer-Stug. Guderian wanted Stugs as he was short of Tanks. A Stug (Sturmgeschutz)the full name is not a Panzer (Panzerkampfwagen). Yes with a Stug you can use it to shoot at tanks. I Googled Panzer-Stug Battalion and nothing came up. What came up was this: Copy and paste just for you The StuG was used primarily within the Sturmartillerie, a branch of the artillery in the Wehrmacht. Armored divisions have tanks, artillery, panzer grenadiers and much more. But you can't call mobile artillery a tank. 

Edited by chuckdyke