Fire and Rubble

BFCElvis

Hard to believe so much time has passed even here. Back during the CMBO/CMBB years there was an newly-open Russia with all its archives and people like David Glantz to make sense of it to give a better picture on the Eastern Front. I had a site that provided pdf's on Soviet military journals from the 1980s primarily and a group of people who were very much into ways to use CM as a tool for disseminating what had been learned. The traditional wargaming community was also very active in this way and we had so many discussions on the subject. We pushed each other to continue to find ever more material to form more accurate understandings about the war. That feels like a long time ago now, but it's good to see some things are still here--and even some people :)

For what it's worth, I think that improving the force selection process in QBs would go a long way to increasing the mileage that can be obtained from the huge amount of material and content that we already have available.

I find the whole process of generating a battle that has a decent match-up of forces is just massively frustrating and one of the prime reasons that I frequently stop playing CM. I don't like having to pick the forces myself, as that ruins the FoW and uncertainty factors and feel that, with a computer simulation, I really shouldn't have to.

If force selection really worked properly I would be quite happy playing QBs until the cows came home and not overly concerned with new modules and packs coming out quickly. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Let's just say I'm post identity crisis and pre-mid life crisis.

So, early 30s? Me too bro. I have actually convinced a couple other NCOs in my unit to start playing the game with me but it was easy because they both already played tabletop wargames.

33 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

So, early 30s? Me too bro. I have actually convinced a couple other NCOs in my unit to start playing the game with me but it was easy because they both already played tabletop wargames.

Nice dude! I have some close friends from college that are huge history buffs like me, but they tend to stick to the academic side of things. I'd also be a little bit more fervent in getting them to play if the multiplayer aspects of CM weren't such a hassle. One of the main reasons I stick to single player.

Edited by Anonymous_Jonze

Russia is a big country , why would'nt Russian players(customers) LOVE this game and love playing it out as the great patriotic war against the Germans?, just like American players likes playing the American side and liberating Europe.The Eastern front should have just as much popularity as the Western front if not more if you look at it from the Russan point of view, so I don't know why the sales number do not bare that out?

My thoughts is: BF could have released this module a year or so earlier. But then we would have, a much more meager module!! The content, wich is in it now! Is something we only could have dreamed of, and maybe in for an 2nd module! Now its all there, two mudules in one!  And only days/weeks away. So don´t whine!!! Its comming right up your face, with more content than you normally would wish for, from one module!!

With that said, I wishes every one a good day, evening, night, or dawn! Whatever your place on earth is!

Edited by Armorgunner

5 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

And what is the demographic of the customer base? Older (and wiser 😁) than almost any other game I'm guessing...

Or am I blowing smoke somewhere?  Hmmm....

EDIT: Apart from chess 😉.

Since our store does not require anyone to enter their age this is purely anecdotal........

I think a few years ago much of the audience was aging. 40s-60s. Working the Help Desk I interact with a lot of people. I now believe the customer base is spread across most ages (20s-70s). I frequently get tickets from people who have gotten the game for a college class. They've become hooked. And the modern titles have brought in people that are in active service and want to play a game that uses the toys that they use. And then look deeper into the WW2 stuff. The Cold War game has been outing a lot of people that served during that time. And then, of course, there are the OGs.....like me. I know how old Steve is (when we met the first time it was part of the conversation.......he was younger than I expected) but it isn't my place to talk about it. Last year I hit a big number that a lot of people back in the 80's would have bet against me ever reaching.

So, there is your unscientific answer. I'd expect that as more and more titles are released on Steam the average age will drop. 

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Since our store does not require anyone to enter their age this is purely anecdotal........

I think a few years ago much of the audience was aging. 40s-60s. Working the Help Desk I interact with a lot of people. I now believe the customer base is spread across most ages (20s-70s). I frequently get tickets from people who have gotten the game for a college class. They've become hooked. And the modern titles have brought in people that are in active service and want to play a game that uses the toys that they use. And then look deeper into the WW2 stuff. The Cold War game has been outing a lot of people that served during that time. And then, of course, there are the OGs.....like me. I know how old Steve is (when we met the first time it was part of the conversation.......he was younger than I expected) but it isn't my place to talk about it. Last year I hit a big number that a lot of people back in the 80's would have bet against me ever reaching.

So, there is your unscientific answer. I'd expect that as more and more titles are released on Steam the average age will drop. 

I’m in my early 30’s, purchased CMSF2 on steam, discovered the WW2 collection(especially CMRT) on Battlefront and never looked back. 

Once everything gets on Steam then everyone can go to Steam Charts and see how many players are playing each game series so people will know which titles are the most popular based on current players (as opposed to sales which we aren't privy to).  That also makes the discussion about what came out before what and what has more content largely irrelevant - at least for current players anyway since the measure is the same for all titles (who is playing the game today).  More than likely all the East Front fans have also bought CMBN because it came out first, but not all players who bought CMBN bought CMRT thus the East Front fans count towards both (making it improbable that sales of CMRT would surpass CMBN since everyone for CMRT likely has CMBN).  That doesn't necessarily mean that all the East Front fans are still playing CMBN at the same level as they are playing CMRT.  Fire and Rubble might also increase the number of East Front players just because there would be more content.  I'm sure that even accounting for that CMBN outstrips everything else, but at least we would get an objective measure of current popularity once everything is on Steam.  Last time I checked Steam Charts CMSF had about twice as many current players as CMBS IIRC.  I am curious what CMBN would be. 

7 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Well it should, its been around since 2009, no?

For other games to catch up they'd have to significantly outsell CMBN for many years.  As of this month, CMBN is still outselling all our other games by a fair amount.  Though CMRT has caught up to CMFI sales since we started taking F&R preorders.  Before that CMFI was still the #2 best selling WW2 game we have.  Again, I'm just talking about base game unit sales. 

As I said, CMBN's total unit sales TOWERS over all the rest and shows no sign of slowing down.  Which isn't surprising to us at all.  The only reason Normandy wouldn't be our best selling title is if we screwed it up really badly, then ran it over with a Sherman, then fed it to a pack of wild dogs, then dipped it in poop.  Even then I bet it would still outsell Eastern Front.  Kinda like a dented, scratched up Ferrari with one cylinder misfiring is still going to get a lot more attention from car enthusiasts than a really nice Volvo :D

1 hour ago, ASL Veteran said:

Once everything gets on Steam then everyone can go to Steam Charts and see how many players are playing each game series so people will know which titles are the most popular based on current players (as opposed to sales which we aren't privy to).

Yea!  That is going to be a neat thing to look at, even for us.

1 hour ago, ASL Veteran said:

More than likely all the East Front fans have also bought CMBN because it came out first, but not all players who bought CMBN bought CMRT thus the East Front fans count towards both (making it improbable that sales of CMRT would surpass CMBN since everyone for CMRT likely has CMBN).

For sure this is part of it.  Although, if CMRT had been first out of the gate that would have (probably) increased CMRT's overall unit sales, but CMBN would no doubt be the #1 seller.

Steve

8 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

And what is the demographic of the customer base? Older (and wiser 😁) than almost any other game I'm guessing...

Eight years ago someone asked about the age of CM players.
Back then I calculated the average age, based on the answers.

It was a bit under 45 years.

I dont know if that means that the average CM player is 53 today? ;)