Fire and Rubble

BFCElvis

• 1 month later...
  • BFCElvis unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 12:38 AM, Dan Dare said:

@ASL VeteranASL...why don't you check the unit history and move along...

in fact there were only two in action from august to october (i was wrongly recalling 3 )

On August 12, 1944 an entry in the 9th Army records indicates a battery of 3 vehicles of 38 cm Sturm-Mörser with the first arriving on August 13th..... etc

Just thought those, @Dan Dare, @ASL Veteran, who might be interested in the SturmTiger, and following on from the conversations back in April, would like to know there's a new unit history which is about to be published by PanzerWrecks:

Sturmtiger: The Combat History of Sturmmörser Kompanies 1000-1002

Due out on 26th, should be a very welcome addition to unit histories if the previous books by Lee Archer of PanzerWrecks are anything to go by.

Edited by Lucky_Strike

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, hm_stanley said:

Would a native Apple Silicon be in the works?

I have no idea. One issue is, can the current engine be recompiled and use Open GL? I don't know the answer - I know only a sliver about the Mac. The new engine will not, I suspect, be moving away from Open GL so that question would be a limiting issue.

Rant on

In general I hope not. I very much do not like the way Apple operates. Their favourite MO is to cook up some cool new solution to a problem that already has solutions and make a ton of changes and then declare it the best thing ever. If that was all they did I wouldn't really care but they also have a bad habit of also saying - you know that solution to the problem you used to use and count on? Well that's going away and you have to do a bunch of work that will serve no purpose other than serve Apple's desire to create new solutions to already solved problems.

This does not benefit customers - it only benefits Apple. Grrrr.

You might say why does some PC user care about that. Good question. It effects me in two ways.

First as a consumer I don't get new features or bug fixes for my PC version because the developer is off chasing apple's tail instead of adding value for us. A recent example is the RAW editor I use Capture One. They spent months working on moving the the M1 architecture meanwhile there were performance fixes and actual valuable features that were in the queue that could have been released to us much earlier. #sadcustomer

Second as a developer I experience my products that worked perfectly fine last week suddenly don't any more. Windows OS doesn't do that. Bloody hell I have a product I wrote in Win 3.11 that sill works today - it's not necessary any more but the code still runs. Meanwhile Apple drops this or that or pulls libraries or changes the API whenever they feel like it. That wastes a ton of my time and I am not able to add new features - see above. #saddeveloper

Rant off

11 hours ago, IanL said:

I have no idea. One issue is, can the current engine be recompiled and use Open GL? I don't know the answer - I know only a sliver about the Mac. The new engine will not, I suspect, be moving away from Open GL so that question would be a limiting issue.

Rant on

In general I hope not. I very much do not like the way Apple operates. Their favourite MO is to cook up some cool new solution to a problem that already has solutions and make a ton of changes and then declare it the best thing ever. If that was all they did I wouldn't really care but they also have a bad habit of also saying - you know that solution to the problem you used to use and count on? Well that's going away and you have to do a bunch of work that will serve no purpose other than serve Apple's desire to create new solutions to already solved problems.

This does not benefit customers - it only benefits Apple. Grrrr.

You might say why does some PC user care about that. Good question. It effects me in two ways.

First as a consumer I don't get new features or bug fixes for my PC version because the developer is off chasing apple's tail instead of adding value for us. A recent example is the RAW editor I use Capture One. They spent months working on moving the the M1 architecture meanwhile there were performance fixes and actual valuable features that were in the queue that could have been released to us much earlier. #sadcustomer

Second as a developer I experience my products that worked perfectly fine last week suddenly don't any more. Windows OS doesn't do that. Bloody hell I have a product I wrote in Win 3.11 that sill works today - it's not necessary any more but the code still runs. Meanwhile Apple drops this or that or pulls libraries or changes the API whenever they feel like it. That wastes a ton of my time and I am not able to add new features - see above. #saddeveloper

Rant off

I don't disagree with any of that (and my Mac is the last Intel one).

Just wanted to throw in that compiling CM for M1 should be easier than -say- the move to 64 bits on Mac. OpenGL is there in the same state as before. I can't imagine CM uses much code that is not portable C or C++ such as inline assembly or SIMD instructions.

10 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Just wanted to throw in that compiling CM for M1 should be easier than...

Famous last words. :D

I get that sentiment and felt that way about a number of changes as a developer many many times over my career. I never let myself feel that way any longer. I have too much experience to know that it will not be as easy as you think at first glance.

26 minutes ago, IanL said:

Famous last words. :D

I get that sentiment and felt that way about a number of changes as a developer many many times over my career. I never let myself feel that way any longer. I have too much experience to know that it will not be as easy as you think at first glance.

I didn't say easy, just easier than the 64 bit port on Mac. Those tend to get more complicated than they appeared, too.

I also have much more sympathy for the processor change, which really improves users' lives, than dropping 32 bit support. Not every one of Apple's changes is selfish.

• 6 months later...

I became nostalgic for Fire and Rubble module tonight so I just now read through most-all these posts again. Sign, its like reading old love letters. We worked soooooo hard on this project for soooooo many years with sooooo many obstacles to overcome. Putting out product is like child birth, after its out in the world you quickly forget how much pain was involved. 🤕

sample 2.jpg

Sample A.jpg

57 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I became nostalgic for Fire and Rubble module tonight so I just now read through most-all these posts again. Sign, its like reading old love letters. We worked soooooo hard on this project for soooooo many years with sooooo many obstacles to overcome. Putting out product is like child birth, after its out in the world you quickly forget how much pain was involved. 🤕

sample 2.jpg

Sample A.jpg

Know that it's still highly appreciated. For me FR is the best CM ever.

The waiting was agony though.

Edited by Aragorn2002