Fire and Rubble

BFCElvis

1 minute ago, Grisha said:

And for what it's worth, if there was any other theater I would have picked aside from Russian front, it would be Italian front. That's almost never done and it did sound extremely interesting when word first came out. Normandy is great, but the idea of moving to Italy/Sicily was even more interesting than North Africa. My personal opinion.

Would you pick Italy over Russia?  

47 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Eastern Front fans never have, and never will, understand where they fit into the overall popularity spectrum.

They just need to join the CM Discord and check the title ownership poll there... The ratio of CMSF2 owners over RT owners is 3:1, the ratio of CMBN owners over RT owners is about 2:1, with near parity with every other title (but Afghanistan, the hipster title). I was surprised that CMFB wasn't as popular as CMBN.

6 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

They just need to join the CM Discord and check the title ownership poll there... The ratio of CMSF2 owners over RT owners is 3:1, the ratio of CMBN owners over RT owners is about 2:1, with near parity with every other title (but Afghanistan, the hipster title). I was surprised that CMFB wasn't as popular as CMBN.

What's the name of the server?  I searched Combat Mission and nothing came up...

As Dartford Mick and the Tax Dodgers never got tired of telling us "You can't always get what you want". Although those forumites who wanted "Shack Farce", "Blagg Sea" and "The Cod War" seem to have done alright. Whilst those waiting since 2016 for what would later be known as "Fire and Rubble" must be feeling a bit like Diana Ross.

6 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

The ratio of CMSF2 owners over RT owners is 3:1

That could just reflect that SF2 owners are more likely to know what Discord is?  Joking of course, and if your figures do reflect sales levels then no-one can argue with the 'flow' of the titles.

5 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I was surprised that CMFB wasn't as popular as CMBN.

Maybe it is the lack of a commonwealth module and CM:FB not going up until VE-Day. That would be my next favorite in my collection. Maybe in three years, who knows?

39 minutes ago, wadepm said:

Would you pick Italy over Russia?  

No, of course not. I am a wargamer after all ;) Any wargamer worth their mettle knows where the war was won...!

<inch by inch pandora's box creaks open to the detriment of all>

45 minutes ago, wadepm said:

...But I thought it would help keeping you going and you would some day be able to do Barbarossa. I can see now that that ain't going to happen... 

I'd like early war on both fronts too, but remember, Steve always said they wouldn't do CW, so to quote my favorite Cold Warrior, Never say never.

Barbarossa would be a large pile of work, I realize that now. It's OB and vehicles are almost an entire other game. It would be very cool to have that as part of RT though. I could wait for it.

I would have to demand, however, anti-tank mine dogs too 🤣

I would appreciate and pay for the game-coded building blocks to mod my own attempt at a Barbarossa, Fall Blau, Fall Gelb, etc. I don't need to wait for the bottlenecks of TOE research and stock scenarios/campaigns. Charge me like you DID do them. No problem. I already work for free. Lots of us do.

I think the R-35 is in CMFI and maybe CMBN but not in CMRT. Same thing with quite a few other vehicles and weapons that the 3D modelling investment and time has already been expended. Scrape all the early war stuff together, have a way to scenario edit OUT the panzerfausts, etc. and make some money. Release like the CMBN vehicle pack and CMBN battle pack. 

CMRT: Wargamer Kit Barbarossa $30-45

CMRT: Wargamer Kit Fall Blau $30-45

CMFI: Wargamer Kit North Africa $30-45

CMBN: Wargamer Kit Fall Gelb $30-45

Edited by kohlenklau

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

I would appreciate and pay for the game-coded building blocks to mod my own attempt at a Barbarossa, Fall Blau, Fall Gelb, etc. I don't need to wait for the bottlenecks of TOE research and stock scenarios/campaigns. Charge me like you DID do them. No problem. I already work for free. Lots of us do.

I think the R-35 is in CMFI and maybe CMBN but not in CMRT. Same thing with quite a few other vehicles and weapons that the 3D modelling investment and time has already been expended. Scrape all the early war stuff together, have a way to scenario edit OUT the panzerfausts, etc. and make some money. Release like the CMBN vehicle pack and CMBN battle pack. 

CMRT: Wargamer Kit Barbarossa $30-45

CMRT: Wargamer Kit Fall Blau $30-45

CMFI: Wargamer Kit North Africa $30-45

CMBN: Wargamer Kit Fall Gelb $30-45

Sure would be nice for community folks to be able to organize and crowdsource desired projects to fill in the gaps that BF can't cover for whatever reason. 

This is like a little kid sitting on Santa's lap...

The Wargamer's kits would have an enhanced scenario editor and enhanced QB editor where we could tweak the number of panzerfausts, demo charges, with a dropdown menu, just like in CMAK. Maybe the unit deployment editor has you be able to zoom in and alt-click on your troops and the weapons options cycle, just like the buildings? I am reminded of an old CMBB scenario where the Waffen SS bubbas were near some grain field and a KV-1 was there and the SS had old, second hand stuff. Weapons snagged when Hitler scooped up the Czechs I think? Older water-cooled HMG and the odd LMG.

Make some "placeholders" in the vehicles roster, code in the armor parameters and all the physics on turret turn rate and armor thickness. But grey it out and you gotta pay to unlock it? No brainer for me. 

Have a generic uniform slot available for each side so modders can get funky. Copy your desired mds to the generic.mds and you got guys running around in whatever floats your boat.

The primary problem with doing early war (Western or Eastern fronts) is the opportunity cost.  The amount of other things we could do in that time would be massive.  It's not just about money (though that is a factor, of course), it's about what benefit the overall customer base.  For example, would the customer base rather we do an early war game or maybe 4 or 5 Modules and a couple of Packs?  My guess is the latter.

Remember, you Eastern Front fans are just whacked in the head.  Mention anything Eastern Front and the true fans say "I WANT IT!".  I could offer up the possibility of a CMRT Pack with nothing but a mod to have Russians swear more thoroughly than they currently do and I bet we'd sell quite a few :)

And I'd be right there with you!  Remember, I'm the guy that insisted that CMBB absolutely had to have Hungarians and Romanians in it.  Man I loved playing with them.  Ah, fond memories.  Now, what were talking about?  Oh yes, the here and now.

We're intent on providing more content for the existing CM Families and improving the underling engine.  That sort of stuff benefits a lot of people.  Engine improvements benefit all and not spending 2 years on Barbarossa means time to do lots of content for the existing games.

Personally, I want to once again seeing Finns destroy KVs with nothing but their toothpicks (you old timer CMBB forum fans should remember that reference).  And I'm sure the source material for Hungarian and Romanian forces is vastly superior to what I had to work with 20 years ago.

No, I'm not making any new product announcements here.

Steve

Yeah, I guess it's a catch-22. Community folks could easily organize projects and most likely fund them as well, but the kind of projects desired would require coding to integrate. Aaaaannd...that puts the ball back to BF, which lands us right back into matching limited coding resources to what benefits the most CM players.

A pickle, indeed.

Might be easier to start a hunt for the fountain of youth to knock some years off Steve & Charles to push back retirement. 🙂

Edited by Macisle