The Year Ahead Bone Post

7 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Each to his own, but personally I don't enjoy urban fighting and I'm not looking forward it. For me CM excells in longer distance fighting in fields, woods and smaller villages.

B-4 also used for heavy bunkers destroying - in Finnish war and in late period of WWII, so it can be used for distance fighting too. 

11 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

If any changes are made...I would much prefer to be able to asign off-map artillery to AI groups rather then having them on the map...

Not the same thing...i know 😎 But that would be a nice change imo...

To be able to use the 'area target trick' with all artillery assets...

Even on-map mortar units are quite difficult to handle to my experience. They never seem to be available when you need them. That's why I like to use tanks and other vehicles using HE against buildings and enemy postions. I'm not saying mortars are useless, because they can be very useful indeed, but in a fast moving battle (the kind of battles I like) I prefer more mobile firepower.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Each to his own, but personally I don't enjoy urban fighting and I'm not looking forward it. For me CM excells in longer distance fighting in fields, woods and smaller villages.

I wouldn't play it every battle, but when I'm in the mood, urban battles are fabulous fun. I think CM handles them well, any more micro-managing would be arduous - they're exciting and the slaughter is sometimes horrendous.

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

So who is a present day Nazi, Mikey?  Please, tell us, instead of insinuating. Who is supporting who exactly?

Steve made it quite clear that such insults, even in a covered version, are not allowed here.

Mikeyd can correct me but I don’t think he was insinuating anything just suggesting someone who was a Nazi in 1944 was in a somewhat different position of knowing exactly what that meant versus those who espouse that view now. To bring that back to the OP I wouldn’t mind turning a 203mm howitzer on some of those folks.  😝

5 hours ago, Freyberg said:

On a lighter note, I manage to argue politics and history with friends and strangers all over the world on a number of different Social Media channels, and yet still not bring any of it into this forum. 😕

...be like Freyberg...

+1  Freyberg is a wise dude. 

2 hours ago, sburke said:

Mikeyd can correct me but I don’t think he was insinuating anything just suggesting someone who was a Nazi in 1944 was in a somewhat different position of knowing exactly what that meant versus those who espouse that view now. 

Yes, let's keep it at that...

16 hours ago, BluecherForward said:

I hope you realize that scenes like these were filmed in Berlin after the battle was over - just wanton destruction for propaganda effect. Then, of course, there was the raping of nearly every women (regardless of age) and girl in Berlin. Can't look at scenes like this without getting sick thinking about the rest.

Yeah, I know. I have interest in military history, and that may make me a horrible person. I'm sorry that systematic rape, genocide, torture, slavery, child soldiers, destruction and death on a massive scale are a part of human history.

I'm not a moral philosopher, I just like big guns -- sincere apologies for causing you discomfort.

11 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

But these facts are well documentated and widely condemned, aren't they? The mass rape of millions of women AND children (and not only in Germany, but also in 'liberated' Russia, Poland, Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, the Baltic states and so on and so forth) and all the other attrocities of the Red Army are mostly ignored. It should be possible to condemn that without being accused of defending the attrocities of the Nazis. On the other hand, I guess it's just shame about making a pact with the devil in the name of freedom and justice to defeat another one.

But I agree with Lethaface. Better let it rest. Especially on this forum.

Well said.

I'm looking at the recoil of the B-4's and comparing it to the one time I watched my US M-110 8" battery perform direct fire exercises. Besides a bit of shaking, the M-110 carriages didn't move. They never moved of course during indirect fire with they had their spades dug in, as one wanted the second round to arrive as precisely to a target miles away as the first.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, BluecherForward said:

The point of my original post was twofold - that films of the use of heavy artillery weapons in the streets of Berlin were pure propaganda produced after the battle was over and - secondly - that people need to be careful about glorifying the communist "liberators."

Asking for an artillery piece to be included in a game is not in any way related to your supposed second point.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:30 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Personally I don't like to see them the on-map artillery list. Too much overkill. Such guns easily bring down a whole building.

As opposed to the Sturmtiger which is already in CMFB? Is that too much overkill and should be removed?

I've never seen someone argue for withholding a unit before.

1 hour ago, General Jack Ripper said:

As opposed to the Sturmtiger which is already in CMFB? Is that too much overkill and should be removed?

I've never seen someone argue for withholding a unit before.

There's a first time for everthing. Won't use the Sturmtiger either. Not arguing to withold anything, just saying.

Edited by Aragorn2002

17 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Please remove cruiser, battleship support and 203mm artillery and 300mm+ Rockets too. Killing is too easy. :rolleyes:

Funny. They are not on-map, are they? At least I've never seen a cruiser in the Bocage. 🙂

Edited by Aragorn2002

Sturmtiger was in the module but got pulled because it hadn't participated in any fighting (bombing civilians in Warsaw excepted). The western front's another matter.

It seems 'big bang' stuff does only see limited use because it has the annoying habit of ending gameplay before the fun starts. On the eastern front every scenario could start with a virtual rain of artillery rockets. But moving forward over the charred corpses of your enemy is not exactly 'tactical warfighting'. German mg nests contending with ISU-152 close infantry support is bad enough. :o