Fire and Rubble

BFCElvis

9 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

The way it is going I am quickly losing interest in Fire and Rubble. I still play RT with engine3 wanted to update and was waiting for Fire and Rubble. Never mind SF2, FB, Battle for Normandy is enough for the time being. Feel sorry for the people who already put their hard-earned cash down. 

Maybe after release someone (Elvis?) will describe what some of the recent holdups have been. As always though, they are about getting it right.

Dave

13 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Maybe after release someone (Elvis?) will describe what some of the recent holdups have been. As always though, they are about getting it right.

Dave

Well....I probably won't do that. I did try to give a little insight the other day when I mentioned that a new build had one broken of the campaigns. Fortunately, the most recent build has fixed that. I don't think going through a laundry list like that would be interesting and may be pulling the curtain back more than is necessary (and pushing the limits of my NDA) 

That said, another one may be deduced by a post that, I think, Steve made around exactly this time last year..........

While giving Fire & Rubble a look-see this evening I decided to test a semi-recent addition to the game to check for bugs (there were none). I dropped a Jagdtiger on an urban scenario map and had at it. IS-2 vs Jadgtiger at 500m. Yeh... it was fun. ;)

Jagdtiger.jpg

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

While giving Fire & Rubble a look-see this evening I decided to test a semi-recent addition to the game to check for bugs (there were none). I dropped a Jagdtiger on an urban scenario map and had at it. IS-2 vs Jadgtiger at 500m. Yeh... it was fun. ;)

Jagdtiger.jpg

Brother, to be honest.

How is the test going😀

On 4/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, benpark said:

The idea for these was to somewhat recreate the feeling of the old CMx1 Operations. One force, during a single battle, linked terrain. There isn't persistent damage, but creative map positioning gives a sense of advancing over the ground fought over.

1144700148_cmredthunder.exeScreenshot2021_04.03-20_31_22_38.png.24079fe94af4314e96f44d9886c8ba38.png

291360860_cmredthunder.exeScreenshot2021_04.03-20_31_17_67.png.0a9ca5eaaee3eb7a58875859956843b6.png

Looking forward to play this one Ben, many thanks for trying out an old concept that I also remember fondly.

And thanks also to @BFCElvis for his inputs on our waiting, CMSF2 R2V and FR I guess stressed processes a but due to their sheer size.

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

I mentioned that a new build had one broken of the campaigns. Fortunately, the most recent build has fixed that.

Is that "a new build" and "the most recent build" as in an updated game engine 4 or maybe even the game engine 5 Steven mentioned in December?

Or does "build" in the case you mentioned above mean a new "build" of a scenario which means that a scenario was changed a little bit?

4 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

Is that "a new build" and "the most recent build" as in an updated game engine 4 or maybe even the game engine 5 Steven mentioned in December?

Or does "build" in the case you mentioned above mean a new "build" of a scenario which means that a scenario was changed a little bit?

Beta build for Fire and Rubble. A 5.0 Upgrade is not part of it. Think of it as patches for the title. When we're testing there are different beta builds that are given to us...Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3....you get the idea. We try to break each new build because we'd rather crash it and fix it that release it and have the crashes. The builds don't just include fixing things that we break. They also include additions, particularly to the TO&E and graphics. 

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

'Beta build'. We test the game, report stuff to fix, they fix it, then they give us another Beta build and we start the process again. The object of the process is to eventually run out of stuff to report

Good to hear I gave up in some scenarios in 'Battle for Normandy' The worst one Hobart's Funnies. Set up a shambles spent hours to make sense of the troops available. Examples: Vicker's are deployed in the Universal Carriers if you take them out but change your mind you can't put them in the Universal carrier in the deployed state. Trucks you better find the drivers first if you plan to use them. Without the driver your squad becomes crew, and you can't dismount them. Naturally when you start the game the AI starts with an Artillery Strike in the set-up zones. I wonder how the Beta Testers managed to miss all these issues. Counter Attack at Son only part of the German squad at times crosses the little footbridge 1 or 2 stay stubbornly on the wrong side of the Dommel river. At least I figured that one out. Pleasantly surprised with SF2 didn't find any issues.  

3 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

And I was hoping to see some new patches whith larger changes to the game engine which would make the games more interesting to play.

It would be very difficult for the game to be more interesting to play. But we'll see what we can do.

Any code changes up until now would be included, some of which already came about through this module's work (and showing up in other modules prior to the release of this one). So fundamentals that are in the overall CMx2 for everything are in this one.

The module-specific changes are things like the rubbled walls, which are a bit more specific to the setting, and something I wanted to add for Berlin. And the models, and textures, and the TO&E. And the rest of the scenarios and campaigns.

Each CM game is similar, and unique in that way. But it all has to snap together, and we focus on the stuff that is specific to that module. So no- you probably won't see every fix imagined in this. It would be an engine update.

The overall engine updates keep that train rolling- otherwise there would be no point in making modules for the older games.

15 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Beta build for Fire and Rubble. A 5.0 Upgrade is not part of it. Think of it as patches for the title. When we're testing there are different beta builds that are given to us...Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3....you get the idea. We try to break each new build because we'd rather crash it and fix it that release it and have the crashes. The builds don't just include fixing things that we break. They also include additions, particularly to the TO&E and graphics. 

So we are still on a beta build ? thought we had passed to RC ? Man this thing still seems weeks away...

Edited by zulu1966

15 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Jagdtiger.jpg

Man...Thats not helping ...

Does that mean that by the time the game is released, the beta tester have played through it like 5 or 6 times? 

What is the difference in regions in the quick battles section? I have changed between different regions but never noticed a difference. What am I missing?

I noticed that anti tank infantry have a hard time spotting tanks, has anyone else noticed this? How do you cope with the dynamic? 

I can't wait for fire and rubble. The new uniforms and equipment look awesome. It looks like the game's atmosphere will reflect the stage of the war. I think red thunder will really benefit from the expansion. I forecast that it secures a top spot on the best of CM. 

How is the current play through going? Disregard if that breaches some type of confidentiality.  

3 minutes ago, Almac said:

Does that mean that by the time the game is released, the beta tester have played through it like 5 or 6 times? 

More than 5 or 6 times, in many cases- by multiple people to get a read on as much as possible. Most of us that make stuff test things I make that many times before it gets to that stage, as well. That isn't to say the process isn't open to some human factors.

4 minutes ago, Almac said:

What is the difference in regions in the quick battles section?

"Germany" has been added, with a Hungarian Mod Tag and included things like commercial building signage.

There is also a Mod Tag (city or urban, can't remember) that has an entirely new set of textures for the city stuff. As well as other Mod Tags like [berlin] for things like the invasion stripes, etc.

That's along with Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union from the base RT, of course.

It remains a 'Beta build' up to the moment the bosses say no more and compiles a release candidate for the installer, usually immediately before release. So don't make any negative assumption about it being 'still in Beta'. Cold War title is also 'still in Beta' though its release date is approaching like a runaway express train.