What Subject For The First CMCW Module?

7 hours ago, KungFuTreachery said:

I agree. As I mentioned earlier, Germany makes the most sense for several reasons.

1. The game is literally set in Germany

2. A lot of Bundeswehr equipment shows up in other NATO armies, reducing the workload of future modules

3. The NVA is mostly retextured Soviet equipment, so they can do two birds with one stone

4.  The TO&Es are massively different ... Your (as an example) US M-113 will not port across to the Bundeswehr as easily as you think because all of that ammunition on board has to be changed - it ain't a case of painting it green and sticking a cross on the side of it.  What is the rank of a Bundeswehr M-113 driver?  What is the rank of a Bundeswehr M-113 commander?  What rank badges do they wear?  What is their personal weapon?  In what formation and how many in each of maybe ... engineers, mechanized infantry, armoured troops?  Of the two, the Bundeswehr will be the hardest, you have to remember the base game doesn't have Leopards, Jagdpanzerkanonen or Marders.  Some models exist in CMSF but they are far different beasts to this timeframe.  Similar for your BMP-1/BTR-60/BTR-70/T-55 etc for the NVA ...

Edited by Combatintman

22 hours ago, Combatintman said:

4.  The TO&Es are massively different ... Your (as an example) US M-113 will not port across to the Bundeswehr as easily as you think because all of that ammunition on board has to be changed - it ain't a case of painting it green and sticking a cross on the side of it.  What is the rank of a Bundeswehr M-113 driver?  What is the rank of a Bundeswehr M-113 commander?  What rank badges do they wear?  What is their personal weapon?  In what formation and how many in each of maybe ... engineers, mechanized infantry, armoured troops?  Of the two, the Bundeswehr will be the hardest, you have to remember the base game doesn't have Leopards, Jagdpanzerkanonen or Marders.  Some models exist in CMSF but they are far different beasts to this timeframe.  Similar for your BMP-1/BTR-60/BTR-70/T-55 etc for the NVA ...

I am talking more in terms of the 3D modelling requirements, not the TO&E which you have to do with every country 

18 minutes ago, KungFuTreachery said:

I am talking more in terms of the 3D modelling requirements, not the TO&E which you have to do with every country 

That's fine - I just wanted to make the point to the new folks around here that cranking out the modules is a heap of work even with lots of bits supposedly 'in the bank.'

Am I the only one baffled that CMCW has only just been released and it's almost impossible for folks to have played all the base game scenarios and campaign missions... and yet, people are already clamoring for modules.  Presumably a day after a module is released there will be clamor for another module or entire new title.

Is anyone actually playing the game?  Or whatever is released, 5 minutes later folks want a new toy?

16 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Am I the only one baffled that CMCW has only just been released and it's almost impossible for folks to have played all the base game scenarios and campaign missions... and yet, people are already clamoring for modules.  Presumably a day after a module is released there will be clamor for another module or entire new title.

Is anyone actually playing the game?  Or whatever is released, 5 minutes later folks want a new toy?

I am playing, almost forgot I also have Fire & Rubble to play.

But I am also looking forward to future modules for Cold War. Which is a good thing for Battlefront :)

Guess people are busy playing and at the same time excited of where this new family might take us with future modules.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:19 AM, Sequoia said:

No, as I recall two or three French divisions were stationed in West Germany, plus as others have mentioned, there was a French brigade in Berlin.

Yep - when I lost my visa drinking in east Berlin as a teenager in early 1989 I was locked up for hours in the east side of Checkpoint Charlie. When I finally got released I was getting pushed over the white line to freedom with an AK-47 in my back with the parting comment "you are not welcome in East Germany any more!". When turning around after passing the white line I gave the east german soldier a finger, and a black french soldier give me a high five cheering... Guess we had both seen the movie "Gotcha" which played out almost exactly the same way :) Accept I was a drunk 19 year old instead of a cheesy teenage spy... Later that day I realized we where going by bus through East Germany back to Sweden and that might not be the smartest move. Fortunately the Stasi persona non grata registers updated slowly in this pre computer age so the passport control going back was not updated ;) And a couple of months later the wall fell and I am still welcome in Germany :)

Edited by mazex

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Hey I already wasted my money on the game, now you want me to waste my time, too?

Now give me the next module, I have nothing to play!

Edited by Redwolf

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Behold the Germany module! Okay, not really. I just swapped out the Abrams model for the CMSF2 Leopard 2A4. Its only cosmetic but dang, its a lot of fun.

Germany 1.jpg

Germany 2.jpg

Nice! Those should be 2A1s for the 1982 timeframe, I guess. Now throw in the whole Leopard 1 family (A1 to A4) and some Marders and we could play some cat games at north german plain. Maybe next year? 

On 5/5/2021 at 10:19 AM, Combatintman said:

That's fine - I just wanted to make the point to the new folks around here that cranking out the modules is a heap of work even with lots of bits supposedly 'in the bank.'

Removed

try not to laugh.gif

Edited by ng cavscout
I am much less funny than I think

1 hour ago, liamb said:

Does New Zealand have an Army? 

Yes but it isn't overly large - Google it if you're really interested in the detail but in essence off the top of my head it boils down to a couple of infantry battalions, an artillery regiment and an armoured squadron without tanks.

I am just here to spit my fantasies without reading what else is written so bare with me. I know these things take a lot of work but let me enjoy my fantasies :D 

DLC1: East Germany vs West Germany

DLC2: UK, France, Dutch vs Poland, Czechlovakia, Hungary (lol I know this is toooooo much work, it can be divided further)

DLC3: Norway-Sweden-Finland vs WINTER USSR

DLC4: Italy vs Yugoslavia-Albania

DLC5: Israel-Turkey vs Egypt-Jordan-Syria Alliance

DLC 6: Korea-Japan-OZ-NZ-Taiwan vs Best Korea-China

I am honestly not very interested in a Vietnam title at this point 😕 

Edited by Dogukan

I've often considered if the Cold War went hot in Europe what North Korea would do? I don't think the Soviets would give them advance notice of their intentions. There would be conflict in the West Pacific between the US Seventh Fleet and the Soviet Pacific Fleet and Soviet Air units in the Vladivostok region. Likely Japan and South Korea would assist their allies. I would think the PRC would stay neutral but North Korea might be tempted to have a go at the South while most of the USA's attention is on Europe. If Australian Forces went anywhere in time it would more likely be Korea or the Middle-east I would think. Australia had its own carrier back then and the Australian and New Zealand Navies would almost certainly get involved.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, MikeyD said:

Behold the Germany module! Okay, not really. I just swapped out the Abrams model for the CMSF2 Leopard 2A4. Its only cosmetic but dang, its a lot of fun.

That is not the Leopard we are looking for! And you know it!

Best regards,
Thomm

To speculate, given operating areas and shared equipment, as well as thematic connections, I'd bet on modules in this order:

• West Germany, Netherlands (the northern flank of NORTHAG) / East Germany
  • UK, possibly Belgium, possibly Canada / other Warsaw Pact
  • US airborne/air assault, perhaps other airborne / USSR airborne/air assault

Less likely:

• USMC, Royal Marines, NL marines, Norway / USSR marines and Arctic forces
  • France (unlikely, but fascinating)

17 hours ago, SpitfireXI said:

If they do bring in the Germans could we do a Reichstag battle redux?

The Reichstag building in West Berlin probably would have been taken by Warsaw Pact forces within the first hour of any cold war gone hot-style invasion scenario, as it sat literally right next to the Berlin Wall.

So, no, not much fighting to be done there.

173724-3x2-article1200.jpg?C5B2B

Edited by Der Zeitgeist