What Subject For The First CMCW Module?

3 minutes ago, Cpl Steiner said:

BAOR. I want to see British soldiers with Brens and SLRs.

You forgot Royal Dalton Bone China with a selection of the finest teas. I like an earlier version of the Cold War when they still had the Centurion Tank. Say the Prague Spring was the trigger. 

10 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

What's so special about thingie?

The missile was designed in a way so that the launcher vehicle could stay completely behind cover while the sights and guidance package would be deployed slightly away from the vehicle (like on a hill). The missile launched upwards at a 45° angle and then came back down into the sightline of the soldier who was guiding it. It could also do horizontal dogleg swings if the launch vehicle and the deployed weapon sight weren't on the same line towards the target.

It's very different from the various ATGM tank hunter vehicles we've seen so far in CM.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

3 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

The missile was designed in a way so that the launcher vehicle could stay completely behind cover while the sights and guidance package would be deployed slightly away from the vehicle (like on a hill). The missile launched upwards at a 45° angle and then came back down into the sightline of the soldier who was guiding it. It could also do horizontal dogleg swings if the launch vehicle and the deployed weapon sight weren't on the same line towards the target.

It's very different from the various ATGM tank hunter vehicles we've seen so far in CM.

Yeah, we already have enough problems with vehicle-mounted TOW launchers not being able to fire when they peek over cover.

Would require multiple levels of hulldown and enabling/disabling weapons and spotting crewmembers based on it.

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

Friendly reminder that if you want to see a module at all, get your friends to buy Cold War. The better it sells, the more likely the chance of a module!

It would be nice if Battlefront.com did at least a little bit of marketing. There's only so much the players can do via word-of-mouth. I mean, Battlefront doesn't even have a Twitter account or an official YouTube channel.

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

It would be nice if Battlefront.com did at least a little bit of marketing. There's only so much the players can do via word-of-mouth. I mean, Battlefront doesn't even have a Twitter account or an official YouTube channel.

Hey guys, well there is always room for improvement but just remember that this is the very beginning of CMCW's journey.  This month the Slitherine marketing machine will start kicking into gear (check out their stream on 11 May and you will get to see Mrs Hardenbergers beautiful baby boy).  Then we are looking at full release in "early Jun" once the whole PBEM+++ thing get bolted on, complete with Steam release.  I googled "Combat Mission Cold War" and was blown away at press releases (most from the initial announcement but a few about our early release) going 3-4 pages deep.  Sat night I watch a twitch guy play a couple QBs live.  So word will get out and marketing will ramp up, right now enjoy the small town feel in with a bunch of early adopters.

Just now, Der Zeitgeist said:

Heh, yeah, he had an amazing carnage going on there. 😁

Right?!  At about 3:05 hrs in he did that RTS style blind rush over open ground, god love the poor lad but I saw what happened next coming.  People can watch it here:

I have to tell you, it really made me question the difficulty we had built into some of the campaigns/scenarios as guilt and glee crashed upon each other.  Anyway, we will see things start to build I think, for some reason this little wargame seems to resonate.  Maybe the last 16 months has gotten us all in the mood for The Apocalypse. 

6 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

I have to tell you, it really made me question the difficulty we had built into some of the campaigns/scenarios as guilt and glee crashed upon each other.  Anyway, we will see things start to build I think, for some reason this little wargame seems to resonate.  Maybe the last 16 months has gotten us all in the mood for The Apocalypse. 

The NTC campaign is great, but I think the game would benefit if you eventually include some sort of simpler tutorial campaign, similar to the tutorial campaign in CM:BS. Just for people to get a general feel for unit commands, spotting and general game concepts. One could even use the large gunnery range map training map that was in CM:BS and CM:SF2 to provide an interesting ground for a simple delay/defend training scenario.

2 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Fair one ... and I'm not having a pop at the Netherlands by the way - I love the place and have had some great times there nipping across the border from Monchengladbach ... it has my kind of mountains as well.

Lol, not taken as one ;-). I think it's a fair comment regarding the 'maldeployment', although at the same time it would be interesting to see how that would play out in CMCW. 

10 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Yeah, we already have enough problems with vehicle-mounted TOW launchers not being able to fire when they peek over cover.

Would require multiple levels of hulldown and enabling/disabling weapons and spotting crewmembers based on it.

I have never experienced any issues with the TOW's... Are you referencing TOW humvees from CMBS and CMSF?

7 minutes ago, KungFuTreachery said:

It would be a shame if the Swingfire's unique capabilities weren't modelled properly, but I would rather that than have the BAOR go unrepresented.

I guess it would be possible to develop this within the game engine logic in some way, maybe even as a type of pseudo-precision artillery unit with instantaneous call-in times, but it takes a lot of development resources to implement of course.

In comparison, Western Germany as a module would be pretty straightforward from a development perspective. As far as I see, they'd have to design a bunch of new vehicles from scratch, specifically the various types of Raketen- and Kanonenjadgpanzer (Jaguar 1, 2...), the Gepard SPAAG, and the Luchs armored recon vehicle, but from an engine perspective, they would mostly work the same as what we've seen so far in CW.

That is why I would expect a German module as more likely to be the first one.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

I agree. As I mentioned earlier, Germany makes the most sense for several reasons.

1. The game is literally set in Germany

2. A lot of Bundeswehr equipment shows up in other NATO armies, reducing the workload of future modules

3. The NVA is mostly retextured Soviet equipment, so they can do two birds with one stone

22 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

You forgot Royal Dalton Bone China with a selection of the finest teas. I like an earlier version of the Cold War when they still had the Centurion Tank. Say the Prague Spring was the trigger. 

One of the highlights of my military service was an exchange with the Canadian Parachute Regiment. We traded people (I was a LT in an artillery battery at the time). We spent 40 days with them, jumped enough to get our Cdn jump wings. The unit is very "British" in organization/training/attitude.  In garrison, "Tea and Toast" at 10am. Out in the field, at 3pm on the drop zone their Colonel's driver brewed up tea on the hood of his jeep for the officers. A big mess truck drives up with tea, coffee and snacks for the enlisted troops. 

It made up for some of the not so good stuff I went through. The Colonel told us that the whole reason for the visit was that if WW3 breaks out and we found out that the unit next to us getting it's collective a$$ kicked was the Parachute Regt that we'd immediately say "We're on the way to help. Those are good guys. They treated us well"  He said "That's why you are here and we're going to make damn sure you go home with that attitude"  I don't think I bought a drink the whole time I was there. He pointed out that it's because you are the 82d Abn. People all over the former British empire remember. You're living on the reputation from WW2.  (and out of the side of his mouth "don't screw it up", with a smile).  Good Colonel. His troops loved him. And they were outstanding troopers. Also, they had FNs and Hi-Powers, which we coveted 🙂

Dave

3 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

The unit is very "British" in organization/training/attitude.  I

The Americans didn't like the man. But General Montogomery made sure the troops had a sausage (aka bangers) and two eggs for breakfast. Now male strippers will show the 'Full Monty'. The Hi-Power the only thing I didn't like was the magazine safety some bureaucrat must have thought up. It is the only reason I prefer a 1911 tactically 13 rounds in your magazine is hard to overlook. 

6 hours ago, Ultradave said:

One of the highlights of my military service was an exchange with the Canadian Parachute Regiment. We traded people (I was a LT in an artillery battery at the time). We spent 40 days with them, jumped enough to get our Cdn jump wings

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.