What Subject For The First CMCW Module?

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

The Reichstag building in West Berlin probably would have been taken by Warsaw Pact forces within the first hour of any cold war gone hot-style invasion scenario, as it sat literally right next to the Berlin Wall.

So, no, not much fighting to be done there.

173724-3x2-article1200.jpg?C5B2B

There was certainly a good view of the death strip and some fairly aggressive dogs in the early 80s from the Reichstag on the Soviet Sector side of the River.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:00 AM, Der Zeitgeist said:

The Reichstag building in West Berlin probably would have been taken by Warsaw Pact forces within the first hour of any cold war gone hot-style invasion scenario, as it sat literally right next to the Berlin Wall.

Thats what would make it grand :)

1 hour ago, evilman222 said:

I was thinking something a bit more out of the box, and maybe them doing a module featuring Turkish forces fighting in NE Turkey and into the Caucuses.

All fine and dandy to spread horizons but realistically any first module, if it appears, will be somewhere else on the Central Front or feature new nations that would have fought there.  In terms of likelihood and potential sales that means the Brits, West and East Germany, Canadians, French, Belgians and Cloggies.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:38 PM, Combatintman said:

All fine and dandy to spread horizons but realistically any first module, if it appears, will be somewhere else on the Central Front or feature new nations that would have fought there.  In terms of likelihood and potential sales that means the Brits, West and East Germany, Canadians, French, Belgians and Cloggies.

You forget the Dutch. Much more important than the Canadians, French or Belgians. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

I would personally rate a module with the rest of the Warsaw Pact nations low on the priority list. For the most part, they're essentially using the similar enough equipment/organization (with some exceptions of course) and would probably be sufficiently accomplished via a thorough mod. I'd shoot for either the West Germans and Brits as the next module. 

1 minute ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Yeah, he's the expert on that period. I probably should have said Medway.

Oh I know about the Medway alright - and no dramas.  So to close this one - Cloggies was very much a friendly slang term for the Dutch, indeed I don't think we ever had an unfriendly slang term for the Dutch - and sure I'd love to see 1 (NL) Corps in a module.

4 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Oh I know about the Medway alright - and no dramas.  So to close this one - Cloggies was very much a friendly slang term for the Dutch, indeed I don't think we ever had an unfriendly slang term for the Dutch - and sure I'd love to see 1 (NL) Corps in a module.

But not before the British. They should be in first. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 5/8/2021 at 8:00 AM, Der Zeitgeist said:

I haven't spent any time in the CMCW map editor, but how is it for 1970s-80s urban architecture?

Berlin might not be much of a battle, but fighting would surely be serious in Hamburg, Hannover, etc. And of Course Frankfurt and Cologne/Bonn would probably be the ultimate targets for the Pact invasion plan.

Perhaps the West-and-East German DLC could include appropriate urban terrain as well.

I would like to see the the Arab vs - Israeli conflict modeled, but given the current climate that probably won't happen. Falklands would be interesting, but probably too limited and not enough to cover.

Asia as mentioned would be great, but I've mentioned in the past with other titles and that looks like it's not ever going to happen, same with Vietnam. I saw an interview with the designer and aside from the can of worms it may open you have the issue of modeling helicopter insertion of troops-something the game engine is not designed for. Would be cool if we could see helicopters zooming in and dropping off troops and river patrol boats, but that would probably require a new game engine.

In terms of 1970-80s NATO vs Warsaw Pact I vote for Norway. Then Turkey and the Southern Front. For me its the variety it would bring-not just troops, but terrain,climate and overall feel. US Marines, Nordic forces, the Turks, Italians...

Regardless, whatever is released, I'll buy.

7 minutes ago, Holman said:

I haven't spent any time in the CMCW map editor, but how is it for 1970s-80s urban architecture?

Berlin might not be much of a battle, but fighting would surely be serious in Hamburg, Hannover, etc. And of Course Frankfurt and Cologne/Bonn would probably be the ultimate targets for the Pact invasion plan.

Perhaps the West-and-East German DLC could include appropriate urban terrain as well.

To be fair its not great for the period but a lot of stuff crosses over from other titles.  Flavour objects need more work for sure but you can make perfectly acceptable maps of 70s/80s Germany if you know what you're doing.

Just now, db_zero said:

I would like to see the the Arab vs - Israeli conflict modeled, but given the current climate that probably won't happen. Falklands would be interesting, but probably too limited and not enough to cover.

Asia as mentioned would be great, but I've mentioned in the past with other titles and that looks like it's not ever going to happen, same with Vietnam. I saw an interview with the designer and aside from the can of worms it may open you have the issue of modeling helicopter insertion of troops-something the game engine is not designed for. Would be cool if we could see helicopters zooming in and dropping off troops and river patrol boats, but that would probably require a new game engine.

In terms of 1970-80s NATO vs Warsaw Pact I vote for Norway. Then Turkey and the Southern Front. For me its the variety it would bring-not just troops, but terrain,climate and overall feel. US Marines, Nordic forces, the Turks, Italians...

The best bet for doing real stuff is to take the CMSF approach, and do hypothetical stuff that can translate.

There's not really enough scope in the Falklands land war to fill a CM game, but if you have CW period BAOR, then you've got the kit - you then need the appropriate terrain. The opposition are a little trickier, but perhaps not so important a distinction, and you can do Goose Green or the like.

Likewise, a (later) module that focused on a hypothetical US involvement in the Afghanistan war would allow you to sneak in a CM:A2 by the back door - you could have historical scenarios and ahistorical ones side by side.

You already have most of the kit to do a fairly accurate Yom Kippur - Centurion might be the biggest thing missing. That kind of thing.

I would like to see and I was vote for west and east germany, because it is simple logic and obvious that they are present in the game to mutually defend their country, one being in front of the other,  and if we want to keep the mention and the region of the famous Fulda Gap... the German and the British are the more close of these region, and will take the first place. 
Having a western and eastern german nation, will give the oportunity to use them in the Nord Center and in the Sud also, giving more possibilities to created or using differents terrains, and differents kind of scenarios !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

1 hour ago, db_zero said:

The new DLC for Arma3 - Prairie Fire S.O.G. - might be up your alley, especially the Mike Force mode.