The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

Hi Steve,

Is there any plan to release the Mac versions of the games on Steam?  I picked up a couple of the newer releases through Steam, but was surprised to find out that, unlike the games I purchased through Battlefront.com, the Steam version doesn't support my Mac. Thanks!

Sir Lancelot

Edited by Sir Lancelot

9 hours ago, pugstorm said:

Perhaps something from professional edition. Unlikely but we still need 980ish Guesses 

Pug

Here's my guess: CM Pacific Theater!

I know, I know, Steve has repeatedly stated they have no interest in it but, hey, 979 guesses to go...

7 hours ago, Sir Lancelot said:

Hi Steve,

Is there any plan to release the Mac versions of the games on Steam?  I picked up a couple of the newer releases through Steam, but was surprised to find out that, unlike the games I purchased through Battlefront.com, the Steam version doesn't support my Mac. Thanks!

Sir Lancelot

Sadly, no, there is not. Mac version from Battlefront is the only option, and will remain that way, at least for the foreseeable future.

Dave

On 2/4/2024 at 7:10 AM, Raging Al said:

I’m really hoping for early war, especially France 1940 and the Balkans campaign up to the fall of Crete in ‘41.   Various Cruiser marks and Matildas for the Brits; Char B’s, Somua’s, Renaults etc for the French; Pz Mk l, II, 35t’s for the Germans.  No big HE chuckers, so that ATG’s have a fighting chance.  

But if that’s too ambitious, I’d happily accept the Western Desert campaigns over the same period.

I think there's a decent chance they'll get around to the early war eventually. Erwin seems to recall Steve saying they were never going to do the early war. Whoever's right, what's beyond doubt is that they aren't going to be doing the early war right now. Unless Steve has been lying to throw us off the trail (possible, but I doubt it) going straight back to the beginning of the war in a single bound just isn't practical. The only realistic way to do it would be to gradually work their way backwards towards the beginning of the war from where they're at right now. If we do ever get any 1940/1941 content, we'll get 1942 content first. And if we ever do get any 1942 content, we'll get more 1943 content first.

But for sure there are a lot of early-war tanks that I'm looking forward to. I want to see Crusaders in the desert, T-26s on the eastern front, R35s, S35s, Pz1s, Pz2s, and so on in France.

There were big HE chuckers (Pz4, Char B1). But there were no dual purpose guns that could fire both a large HE round and a high velocity AP round (I'm guessing weight was the issue). They were either large caliber, short barreled guns for chucking large HE rounds at low velocity. Or small caliber (still short barreled, but the barrel length is a decent multiple of the caliber) guns for firing high velocity AP rounds. When confronted with the choice between one or the other, most interwar tank designs seem to have gone for small caliber high velocity guns so they would have some decent anti-armor capability, and mostly depended on their machine guns for anti-personnel capability. For armies that wanted both good HE chuckers and good anti-armor capability there were a couple of approaches. The French went for a dual gun approach, with the Char B1 having a small caliber high velocity 47mm in the turret, and large caliber low velocity HE chucking 75mm in the hull. The Germans went for a dual tank approach, with the Panzer 3 being armed with a small caliber high velocity 37mm gun, and the Panzer 4 being armed with a large caliber low velocity HE chucking 75mm gun. It really makes you appreciate the mid to late war tanks like the Sherman that had good dual-purpose guns.

I'd say that ATG's already stand more than a fighting chance in the current late-war period. In a given encounter between a tank and an ATG in the late-war the ATG is usually going to win. It's no different in the early-war, though the lower numbers of good HE chucking tanks may make it even more one-sided in the ATG's favor. The big weakness of early-war anti-tank firepower is that none of the man portable HEAT chuckers (PIAT, bazooka, panzerfaust, panzerschreck) have been invented yet. The frustrations of the British 14mm Boys anti-tank rifle are quite the inverse of the frustrations of the PIAT. With the PIAT the struggle is to get close enough to have a decent chance of hitting the broad side of a barn. But if you can hit, that large warhead has an excellent chance of knocking out whatever you were shooting at. With the Boys you can pretty consistently hit what you're shooting at at the most common combat ranges. But few of your hits will penetrate, and most of the penetrations won't cause enough damage to knock out the vehicle. From playing around with it in CMAK I've concluded that you'll get the best results by massing two or more (preferably three or four) anti-tank rifles against each target. Each individual shot may not do much. But the rapid plinking of several AT-rifles striking the armor, causing spalling, and achieving the occasional penetration has a good chance of disabling something important or making the enemy tank crew think twice about staying where they are.

Edited by Centurian52

22 hours ago, Sweed59 said:

go 64 bit opening up more RAM? I'm not a coder but wouldn't this mean larger maps/scenarios without worrying about slow downs or graphics issues? 

I am a coder and 64 bit would be the default for new development. The reason to do 32 bit work would be to support something legacy - either your own code or some specialized library or something.

Yes, more working memory would lead to the ability to support larger maps, more forces. In the modern context more memory available for a 64 big application is somewhat decoupled from graphics performance since that would be handled by the GPU. However CM has traditionally used a lot of CPU power for CM specific work so it is unclear how this would play out in a new architecture. At the time the old engine was made GPUs were not as advanced and BFC wanted to make sure the game could be played without top end GPUs. I imagine the considerations will be different now but how that actually plays out in the design I have no idea. I am not a game developer so I lack any insight in how those choices are / could be made in a modern context. 

53 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

I am a coder and 64 bit would be the default for new development. The reason to do 32 bit work would be to support something legacy - either your own code or some specialized library or something.

Yes, more working memory would lead to the ability to support larger maps, more forces. In the modern context more memory available for a 64 big application is somewhat decoupled from graphics performance since that would be handled by the GPU. However CM has traditionally used a lot of CPU power for CM specific work so it is unclear how this would play out in a new architecture. At the time the old engine was made GPUs were not as advanced and BFC wanted to make sure the game could be played without top end GPUs. I imagine the considerations will be different now but how that actually plays out in the design I have no idea. I am not a game developer so I lack any insight in how those choices are / could be made in a modern context. 

Also wargamers are a somewhat special faction among gamers. They often have rigs that rival the period they are interested in in age. 😉 One of the dev blog entries for Armored Brigade 2 mentioned that while they now do 3D they want low detail 3D that can run on older machines - because that is what many of their potential customers have. There are many here who still run on Windows 7 (or even older?) so sticking to legacy stuff is not necessarily a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, Butschi said:

legacy stuff

Having just re-installed John Tiller's Campaign Series on my newish Windows 11 laptop, I had the opposite problem.  After first not installing (no idea why) using the download and serial key in my Matrix account, it did install a day later but wouldn't run.  To get it to run (after some searching) I had to install an old 32-bit Visual C exe/dll alongside the 64-bit version, and bob's your uncle. 

I'm wondering if it was worth the effort - my intention was to explore whether some of it could be re-created in CM.  It certainly could, but have I got the time/inclination?  Not sure.  I don't think I'll be playing it for playing it's sake anyway, it's good but a bit too 'legacy' after playing CM.

8 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Having just re-installed John Tiller's Campaign Series on my newish Windows 11 laptop, I had the opposite problem.  After first not installing (no idea why) using the download and serial key in my Matrix account, it did install a day later but wouldn't run.  To get it to run (after some searching) I had to install an old 32-bit Visual C exe/dll alongside the 64-bit version, and bob's your uncle. 

I'm wondering if it was worth the effort - my intention was to explore whether some of it could be re-created in CM.  It certainly could, but have I got the time/inclination?  Not sure.  I don't think I'll be playing it for playing it's sake anyway, it's good but a bit too 'legacy' after playing CM.

Stuff that's too new for DOSBox and too old for Windows 11... ugh. Still, I guess it is easier to run old stuff in a VM on a modem machine than new stuff on an old rig...

Edited by Butschi

GoG does a pretty good job running legacy games on a modern OS, as does Lutris. 

40 minutes ago, Butschi said:

There are many here who still run on Windows 7 (or even older?)

Maintaining a legacy OS to run legacy software is fine. But I really hope those people aren't connecting their legacy machines to the internet. They will be vulnerable to absolutely everything out there. The machine you use to connect to the internet should be running a fully up to date modern OS.

Edited by Centurian52

1 hour ago, Butschi said:

Also wargamers are a somewhat special faction among gamers. They often have rigs that rival the period they are interested in in age. 😉 One of the dev blog entries for Armored Brigade 2 mentioned that while they now do 3D they want low detail 3D that can run on older machines - because that is what many of their potential customers have. There are many here who still run on Windows 7 (or even older?) so sticking to legacy stuff is not necessarily a bad idea.

Indeed the target machine specs need to be carefully chosen. I am fairly sure that BFC will not force us all to upgrade to some 2026 level of tech that we don't even knows the vocabulary for 🙂 but they will also not likely support really old or low powered stuff just because a handful of people are using it.

When I refereed to legacy systems above I really just meant that if you needed to use a 32 bit library that only exists as a 32 bit library or you are fixing bugs in a 32 bit app that your company released years ago. I did not mean it was worth staying with 32 bit programming for new products so they run on Windows 95. That ship has sailed.

If they release BAOR this year, all else what comes next is secondary to me. If they plan on another WW2 module, eastfront 1943 would seem to be the most logical step, followed by 1943 Tunisia. Big question still is when they update all CM2 releases to engine 5 upgrade. We will learn before the year is over.

17 hours ago, Sir Lancelot said:

Hi Steve,

Sir Lancelot

Sadly, no joy for the Mac.  Slitherine does all the difficult work for Steam support and they don't do MacOS games.  The workarounds for this are complex and resource consuming, therefore we have no plans on doing it any time soon.

Steve

12 hours ago, Malaspina said:

Here's my guess: CM Pacific Theater!

I know, I know, Steve has repeatedly stated they have no interest in it but, hey, 979 guesses to go...

This!!  They said they had no interest in CW either....

I would literally chew off my own left leg, slather it in tactical space butter, and eat it for CM Pacific.

And if they did do it, it would open the door for every tropical/jungle/island conflict moving forward.

Edited by Phantom Captain

What Steve mentioned in the first post is of course that Battlefront has decided to make their own version of a so called "first person shooter" or maybe even a hybrid where the player can both play the game the way the Combat Mission games are played and if he wants to can go down in first person mode and play the game that way.

Edited by BornGinger

43 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

What Steve mentioned in the first post is of course that Battlefront has decided to make their own version of a so called "first person shooter" or maybe even a hybrid where the player can both play the game the way the Combat Mission games are played and if he wants to can go down in first person mode and play the game that way.

Hmm... Spiritual successor to Across the Rhine from MicroProse?

2982803-across-the-rhine-dos-using-your-