The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

On 2/3/2024 at 11:06 PM, weapon2010 said:

The obvious guesses are CM3, France1940,or a Brand new Eastern Front game , but Steve said 999 guesses will be wrong , so it must be something not obvious. My  money is still on it is CM3 but not WW2 , just like CM2 was Syria...............as much as Steve denied it could be done ................its CM3  Viet Nam. 

North Korea 1954 ? ... not too particularly interested in it personally though but some may be

Edited by Albert DuBalay

On 2/4/2024 at 6:10 PM, Raging Al said:

I’m really hoping for early war, especially France 1940 and the Balkans campaign up to the fall of Crete in ‘41.   Various Cruiser marks and Matildas for the Brits; Char B’s, Somua’s, Renaults etc for the French; Pz Mk l, II, 35t’s for the Germans.  No big HE chuckers, so that ATG’s have a fighting chance.  

But if that’s too ambitious, I’d happily accept the Western Desert campaigns over the same period.

BFC already mentioned several times in the past they will NEVER do Battle of France 1940 ... 🙄 ... though as we say only stupids never change their minds 😁

On 2/7/2024 at 2:48 PM, BornGinger said:

What Steve mentioned in the first post is of course that Battlefront has decided to make their own version of a so called "first person shooter" or maybe even a hybrid where the player can both play the game the way the Combat Mission games are played and if he wants to can go down in first person mode and play the game that way.

That ticks the box of "something nobody expects or 1 in a 1000". 

On 2/13/2024 at 4:41 PM, Centurian52 said:

Maybe someday in the distant future, when we all have our own personal moon-sized supercomputers, someone will make a single game that fully integrates air, ground, naval, and space warfare on the tactical, operational, and strategic levels in the full rich detail in which Combat Mission currently covers tactical ground warfare.

I don't think hardware is the main limitation here. The question is more like, how you would implement all this in a single game and still make it playable? Air warfare (aircrafts, weaponry and systems) covers 100s of kilometers and demands a vast but less detailed map; naval warfare (crafts, weaponry and systems) is even grander in its scale, covering 1000s of kilometers, and demands a completely different map with lots of water, obviously. Meanwhile, ground warfare can only be tactical when the map is reduced to a few dozen kilometers to allow for enough map detail. So you can't just combine these three levels, and it's not a hardware issue. How would you go, naturally and without utterly breaking the gameflow, from one map scale to a hugely different map scale?

Then there is staged aspect of modern warfare: the Air Land Battle doctrine, for example, does not mean everything happens at the same time. First come the missiles from ships, then the airstrikes, then ground troops with limited CAS (to crassly simplify the whole thing). Another temporal aspect would be the huge differences in travel distance, speed, engagement range etc. as is exemplified superbly in the movie Dunkirk.

It is also telling that you completely forgot to mention logistics which would add a whole different layer to the whole affair but would, in my opinion, be necessary to realistically depict full-scale modern warfare (especially when you want the game to be operational or even strategical). All the problems (regarding the map and the temporal aspect) would now multiply.

With all that being said, the closest thing we have that combines all three combat layers, and to a very minor degree also logistics, are the games by Eugen Systems. Especially Wargame: Red Dragon comes to mind or the current WARNO that now has a campaign that is add a lite operational layer to the game. However, when you play these games you can immediately see how wonky it gets when you try to put naval, air and ground warfare all in one game.

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I like to see Penal Battalion 999 scenario. Veterans with a Zilch for motivation. 

Does the TO&E include their Feldgendarmerie minders? I'm imagining lots of MGs and removed friendly fire limitations. 

H

5 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

Does the TO&E include their Feldgendarmerie minders? I'

I imagine they will be some distance behind them. Their task breaching minefields incentive survivors will go back to the ranks. No luxury like MG42s besides they won't have sufficient munitions. 

On 3/3/2024 at 4:20 AM, Sunbather said:

It is also telling that you completely forgot to mention logistics which would add a whole different layer to the whole affair

I didn't forget it. Logistics are part of the operational layer.

Edited by Centurian52

FWIW I have been playing Matrix's DC Ardennes and that might be a very good for providing an operational level "scenario set-up" for CM.  Unlike the earlier DC games which were Regiment-Division, Ardennes is at the Battalion level.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:48 PM, BornGinger said:

Battlefront has decided to make their own version of a so called "first person shooter" or maybe even a hybrid where the player can both play the game the way the Combat Mission games are played and if he wants to can go down in first person mode and play the game that way.

I actually retract this guess of what Battlefront is planning that no one expects. To make a first person shooter or a hybrid game they'd have to make a new game engine. And that would take a whole lot of time.

So what they most likely are doing is a Battlefront Calendar for 2025 with pictures of Steven, Elvis and other people connected to the company dressed up like Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention for their LP "We're only in it for the money" as their first collection of Battlefront merchandise.

Edited by BornGinger

13 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

or buy your next CM3 game 

Actually I heard that they're gonna do a Star Wars, non consequitive titles.

We've got CM1 and CM2, but the next title will be CM Minus 4, starting a series of prequels.

Then they'll drop it entirely for over a decade until Disney picks it up and continues with CM3, CM4 and CM5 all within four to five years.

Edited by Anthony P.