The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

2 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

CM: South Pole, battles set between penguins and explorers/scientists.

If you're going there, make it Lovecraft south pole shenanigans: giant albino penguins, shoggoths, and Elder Things vs intrepid antarctic explorers.

H

20 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

This!!  They said they had no interest in CW either....

I would literally chew off my own left leg, slather it in tactical space butter, and eat it for CM Pacific.

And if they did do it, it would open the door for every tropical/jungle/island conflict moving forward.

The BFC owners still don't have interest in Cold War gone hot. If it weren't for a dedicated team of superfans/testers signing on and doing much of the development work before the Cold War game was announced, it wouldn't have happened.

That said, Cold War has none of the major drawbacks a Pacific or Vietnam game would have which has been well discussed previously.

Hi,

My opinion on the future of battlefront:

My first theory: I'm not thinking of a new 3d engine rather of a big update engine 5 of the current one. Because battlefront continues to develop and release addons for all mission combat. The players would go on the new game because of the new engine...I don't believe it. Battlefront will not abandon these titles and continue to update them. They have invested so much on it. That's why it takes time to update the engine but it will be a big update. And I think it takes place to add a dynamic campaign a global strategy. More effect more numbers ect…more possibilities!

my second theory:

COMBAT MISSION MOBILE ios/android why not?

A port of the current mission combat on mobile with improved interface ect.. achars in campaign app quick battles ect... the power of phones largely allows it today!

On 2/5/2024 at 2:58 PM, Artkin said:

Don't be fooled! The topography of the southern part of the bulge was absolutely insane. Especially in II SS Panzerkorps' sector.

I agree that Kursk is underrated for variety. The bulge was almost 200 kms across and had everything from the pancake steppe above to rolling hills and a mini Stalingrad at Ponyri. 

Personally I prefer smaller scenarios but those can be set anywhere. Not every action at Kursk was a battalion sized fight of course.

4 hours ago, Dawoox said:

COMBAT MISSION MOBILE ios/android why not?

They gave that a try. I remember a lot of buzz about Combat Mission: Touch a while back. I'm not sure what happened to it or if it's still available somewhere. It looked like it was basically a mobile version of CMBN

6 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

They gave that a try. I remember a lot of buzz about Combat Mission: Touch a while back. I'm not sure what happened to it or if it's still available somewhere. It looked like it was basically a mobile version of CMBN

It's not available on the App Store any more. It was actually a nice little game, only two scenarios but much better than other similar mobile offerings. 

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

I agree that Kursk is underrated for variety. The bulge was almost 200 kms across and had everything from the pancake steppe above to rolling hills and a mini Stalingrad at Ponyri. 

Personally I prefer smaller scenarios but those can be set anywhere. Not every action at Kursk was a battalion sized fight of course.

Right, and especially since "Kursk" actually means everything between July (possibly June) '43 and May '44.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:35 PM, Halmbarte said:

If you're going there, make it Lovecraft south pole shenanigans: giant albino penguins, shoggoths, and Elder Things vs intrepid antarctic explorers.

H

See Charles Stross’ “A Colder War,” which describes the unfolding horrors of a 1980s Cold War gone hot, but in a world haunted by Lovecraftian abominations. The short story is online.

Edited to add: When I say “Lovecraftian abominations,” I am referring to the extraordinary creatures that flowed from H.P. Lovecraft’s imagination, not to the quality of the man’s writing.

Further edit: Fixed Stross’ first name. Oops. H.P. Lovecraft might have gone into flights of overwrought prose, but he did edit well (or have good editors).

Edited by MHW

24 minutes ago, MHW said:

See Robert Stross’ “A Colder War,” which describes the unfolding horrors of a 1980s Cold War gone hot, but in a world haunted by Lovecraftian abominations. The short story is online.

Edited to add: When I say “Lovecraftian abominations,” I am referring to the extraordinary creatures that flowed from H.P. Lovecraft’s imagination, not to the quality of the man’s writing.

Stross is one of my favorites. Maybe if we get CM Cthulhu war unicorns will be available as DLC.

5 hours ago, Raging Al said:

It’s almost like Steve cracked open the door and threw in a grenade!

He knew EXACTLY what he was doing with that PS that started this whole conversation.  I know it was be "Space Lobsters From Vietnam in the Pacific Theater of North Africa" that will be released.