The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

Sorry for the delay with this second 2024 announcement post.

Regular Battlefront customers have probably noticed that we are always working on things that you don't know about.  Obviously this is not the norm in gaming, nor in other areas either, which causes some people to think we're sitting around twiddling our thumbs if there's nothing new being announced.  That's silly, but we don't mind people being silly :)

The primary reason we don't announce things early and often is because we really don't know when something will be ready.  And since we never ship until a game is really ready, this means any time estimate we come up with will likely be wrong.  The other reason we don't like to announce things too early is we never know the specifics of a release when we start, only the general outline.  Not surprisingly, you guys project your wants onto it and after awhile those wants become expectations.  When the details are announced some get disappointed that things we never even mentioned, but were unrealistically expected, aren't included.

Which means that in our experience it's generally better for EVERYBODY that we keep our cards close to our chest until we are certain what the game is going to have and at least some rough idea of when it will be complete (don't snicker, I'm being serious!).

At least usually this is the best way.

We assumed you'd notice the 2024 development announcement was a little "light" compared to previous years.  This will get you speculating, as it always does, and some of the loudest voices doing so are also be the most negative ones.  We've seen this before and no matter how many times those folks are proven wrong, they don't seem shy about being wrong again.  That sort of "glass half empty" thinking can be quite harmful to a community of otherwise positive people.

Therefore, we've decided to make an exception to our general rules about announcements and tell you, for sure, that we are indeed working on something that you don't know about.  And that something is not early retirement :)

I had hoped I could say a little more than that at this point, however after some internal discussion we decided now is not quite the right time.  But I promised you something and so a promise is a promise, and here I am to make good on that as best I can.  When will we have more to say?  I think a couple of months will do the trick.

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S.  as the inevitable speculation kicks in, please remember that of the 1000 things you guys might guess we're doing, at best only 1 of them will be correct.  With that in mind, it is good to keep and open mind and not get too invested in anticipating something that most likely isn't what we're working on.

There are a bunch of possibilities streaming through my head.

• A new '43/'44 CMRT module is already in the works
  • CM3 is well underway, and they found a way to port existing CM2 content into it
  • A new North Africa base game is already in the works
  • CMCW:BAOR is going to be way bigger than anticipated
  • A new modern war game is already well into development

If I have to pick one I'm leaning towards the '43/'44 CMRT module. It seemed like Steve may have dropped a couple hints suggesting that would be it over in the Part 1 thread. Although, The_Capt started acting real sus over in the CMCW:BAOR thread right after the discussion came around to CM3 and I had been confidently claiming that the next western front title would be Tunisia. So either of those are also strong contenders. Of course maybe his sus behavior was related to the thread topic, rather than anything we had recently discussed. Then again Steve was talking about "the next modern warfare game" before he closed out the Part 1 thread. Ok, it could really be any of them. And probably something I haven't thought of.

Edited by Centurian52

I think it's extremely likely that Steve is referring to CMx3. There is nothing else BFC could be doing -- no new module, no engine upgrade, not even a whole new title in the CMx2 series -- that would warrant that type of language.

Steve had talked about Charle's insane programming workload over the last xx months. Nothing in CMx2 would likely be taking that much programming time. Plus there is now defense contract money coming into BFC. The engine is showing its age, despite still providing most of use with many hours of fun, so it's reasonable to surmise that the wargamers on this forum are not the only ones pushing for advancements. Plus... a few things said only a week or two ago in the "Is CMBS Dead?" thread might've revealed more than some people desired or noticed?

It's fun to speculate about what the potential first CMx3 title would be.

To me, yes, Normandy (or at least France '44), makes the most sense. CMBN is the company's most popular and highest selling CMx2 title for a reason.

I am so, so ready to give BFC even more of my money!

54 minutes ago, sttp said:

I think it's extremely likely that Steve is referring to CMx3. There is nothing else BFC could be doing -- no new module, no engine upgrade, not even a whole new title in the CMx2 series -- that would warrant that type of language.

Steve had talked about Charle's insane programming workload over the last xx months. Nothing in CMx2 would likely be taking that much programming time. Plus there is now defense contract money coming into BFC. The engine is showing its age, despite still providing most of use with many hours of fun, so it's reasonable to surmise that the wargamers on this forum are not the only ones pushing for advancements. Plus... a few things said only a week or two ago in the "Is CMBS Dead?" thread might've revealed more than some people desired or noticed?

It's fun to speculate about what the potential first CMx3 title would be.

To me, yes, Normandy (or at least France '44), makes the most sense. CMBN is the company's most popular and highest selling CMx2 title for a reason.

I am so, so ready to give BFC even more of my money!

I have the same thought as you here, honestly hoping it will be CMx3!

10 hours ago, sttp said:

I think it's extremely likely that Steve is referring to CMx3.

That also occurred to me when I saw that all the CM2 titles being heavily discounted.  That is usually a giveaway that a company is releasing something new that will make the old stuff obsolete.

At First BFC titillates, Then annoys, Then brings feelings Hopelessness and dejection, only to be followed by astonishment and Joy! Then, finally, inexorably to critique and dismay.

There will be NO Space Lobsters so forget about the butter!

Edited by MarkEzra

2 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

You guys will be VERY amused that I had a bizarre dream last night that involved a swimming pool full of lobsters with me in it wondering if the chlorine would kill them.

Sadly, I am not kidding.

Steve

Think you might want to talk to somebody 'bout that :)

...and the people here can't help.

48 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

You guys will be VERY amused that I had a bizarre dream last night that involved a swimming pool full of lobsters with me in it wondering if the chlorine would kill them.

Sadly, I am not kidding

I hope you were wearing your Speedos Steve?  I'm trying not to visualise that all the same 😱...

And yeah sign me up for a pre-order on CM3 👍.