The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

My wish for an early 1940-43.  Call it Operation OH MY GOD!

Germany vs Allies France and North Africa...  I think all that is needed to do that is to add a bunch of tiles from the Italian Theatre and TOE... ish.

Then add Russian tiles as well which would make the editor basically a master editor for OH MY GOD Everything.. LOL

This would be wonderful for Scenario, and Campaign designers to work off of.  Although the Uniforms, TOE would be that massive work that the geniuses behind Battlefront are.  Hats off to you all, for everything that you give us.

James.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:35 PM, planetbrain73 said:

Revive the development for CMC

Welcome! 🍻

You mean CM Campaigns? A new operational layer to the current tactical battles? I've been waiting some twenty years for that and I'm afraid it's going to be another twenty!

1 hour ago, Malaspina said:

Welcome! 🍻

You mean CM Campaigns? A new operational layer to the current tactical battles? I've been waiting some twenty years for that and I'm afraid it's going to be another twenty!

Maybe someday in the distant future, when we all have our own personal moon-sized supercomputers, someone will make a single game that fully integrates air, ground, naval, and space warfare on the tactical, operational, and strategic levels in the full rich detail in which Combat Mission currently covers tactical ground warfare. For now though, there's Combat Mission for tactical ground warfare. There's Command Ops 2 for operational ground warfare. And there's Command: Modern Operations for air and naval warfare. There really isn't anything that does a good job of covering the strategic level, though I suppose either Darkest Hour or Hearts of Iron 4 are ok until someone gets around to making something better. For nuclear warfare I can highly recommend Nuclear War Simulator.

In any case, I don't see any sense in Combat Mission trying to push up into the operational layer. The tactical level is where it specializes.

Edited by Centurian52

On 2/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, ratdeath said:

CMx3 as an upgrade to all CMx2 titles (engine 5 scrapped) or a new CMx3 Cold War as the first title.

Reasonable expectations :)

This the most believable id say, so its not a complete move away from the cmx2 series. but an advance. they did mention the work on engine 5 is or has been extensive..so yeah possibly. i say that as i've seen more no's to yes or maybe about there being a cmx3..

i don't ever see the engine as "dated" those that are old skool wargammers will agree 80% or more of titles over the years  never have that great of engines etc or graphics. and im seeing more and more remastering of old titles. .

so i really dunno, i'm so intrigued tho. as CMCW was a total shock surprise to me, and this could be just that, maybe an early war title? who knows. but just IN MY FACE , ave it! lmao...sir can have said moneys any day..

bubba

1 hour ago, Panzer Lehr said:

Thank you Steve for your commitment my favorite game system. For nearly 24 years I have been playing CM everyday practically, I never tire of it and I look forward to every new advancement. Cheers to many more years of fun.

26 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

+1 to that 👍.  Except for me it's only since May 2020 so I have a lot that's not yet done.

15 years for me. I first picked up CMSF in 2009, and gaming was never the same again for me. I played every new game and module as they were released. There was a bit of a gap from late 2018 to early 2021 as life intervened (post-Army readjustments, college, realizing college was a waste of time, studying for IT certs, job hunting). But I was finally able to get back into CM in 2021, starting out with CM1 for the early-war content. I didn't actually get properly back to CM2 until 2023. I spent most of 2023 playing CMBS and CMCW, but since October I decided to start all the way back in Sicily 1943 for a full chronological playthrough of all my CM2 content. Even though the gap from 2018-2021 was a minority of the total time I've been playing CM, it was long enough that I still almost feel like a newcomer again. Despite starting out with CMSF I still haven't found time to play CMSF2 yet, but as I inch forward in the timeline I'm sure I'll get around to 2008 again.

1 hour ago, Bannon said:

I’ve enjoyed Combat Mission since Beyond Overlord more than 20 years ago and own almost every title since.

I remember it was a dark and stormy night, not long after Washington crossed the Delaware. I was grumbling to the General that ever since I was up in Boston and that dam P. Revere came running around with hair on fire, I hadn’t had a single opportunity to fire up CMBO. He looked at me that way, you know, and just shook his head. 

On 2/8/2024 at 1:34 PM, MikeyD said:

I'm from Maine. The greatest complement I received was when a historical journal publisher I used to correspond with told me that he mistook me for a Canadian.

They mistook me for a Brit in California, I still have nightmares about it. Imagine born in Amsterdam the Netherlands. 

I started with CMBB then CMAK which I played for many years thanks to the mod CMETO which allowed to play the fights of Normandy and Ardennes.
Then CMBN and CMFB because I am especially interested in this field of operation on which there are many detailed historical sources.

In RL, I bought the first two editions when they came out rather more than few years after Washington’s cruise across the Delaware. I still have the hard copy manuals, and still read over them from time to time. Didn’t know anything about the forums back then, and had no friends willing to try HTH games. Life intervened and I didn't get CMAK until that anthology with all three CMx1 sims. So, no CMAK paper manual. Worse, I failed to get the CMAK strategy guide before it disappeared from view. I still look for used copies online, but never see any. Finding the forums here a few years ago was just a terrific boost and welcome access to so many brilliant minds working on these best wargames, sims. I really appreciate all of you. And I take time to go back and read some of the archived CMx1 posts. We were all so young, once upon a time.

First heard of CM1 while lurking on a 'close combat' forum in '99', people were talking about this 3d strategy game in development. When they said it was turn based I thought not for me, it was only later in autumn 2000 that I read a review of CMBO in a magazine (something like 'pc strategy gamer' I think it was called) where they explained the 'wego' system that I thought I would give it a go. After playing the demo I immediately ordered the game (first ever online purchase) and played nothing else for the next 18 months, until 'Rome total war' turned my head. I found the forums at the same time I bought the game, it was a good source of mods and user made missions, there were some actual WW2 vets on the forum back then which was fascinating to read. Anyway I have bought most of the game series as they were released over the years and still play on a regular basis, the only game I've played that this is true of.

10 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

They mistook me for a Brit in California, I still have nightmares about it.

That's fighting talk 😂.

Having said that I was mistaken for a German on Crete once.  And I don't think Germans were hugely popular among the older Cretans at the time.

37 minutes ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

First heard of CM1 while lurking on a 'close combat' forum in '99', people were talking about this 3d strategy game in development. When they said it was turn based I thought not for me, it was only later in autumn 2000 that I read a review of CMBO in a magazine (something like 'pc strategy gamer' I think it was called) where they explained the 'wego' system that I thought I would give it a go. After playing the demo I immediately ordered the game (first ever online purchase) and played nothing else for the next 18 months, until 'Rome total war' turned my head. I found the forums at the same time I bought the game, it was a good source of mods and user made missions, there were some actual WW2 vets on the forum back then which was fascinating to read. Anyway I have bought most of the game series as they were released over the years and still play on a regular basis, the only game I've played that this is true of.

I've been playing since approximately 2000.  I had the first 2 games.  Really enjoyed them.  Didn't rediscover the franchise until 2020 when looking for instructions on how to reinstall CMBO.  I went crazy over CM2 and within a couple months had all the games and DLC (except Afghanistan).  Been my #1 goto game ever since.