The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

I would like to see the French army ^^
It is not present in the modern CM games and just a few scenarios in Fortress Italy.
Furthermore, although I liked Battle for Normandy for the various operations covered, it lacks the liberation of Paris by the 2nd Armored Division (supported by the 4th Infantry Division) which closes the Normandy campaign. I hope to see it one day.

20 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

coffee mugs themed for each of the CM2 base games, I'd order the whole set in a heartbeat.

That is a terrific idea! Essentially a nobrainer since most of us would instantly buy them. And a *lot* easier than pie - to make happen.

The more I think about it the less I think I'd mind CM3 starting over at Normandy again. It would mean backtracking on any progress towards eventually covering the whole war. But CM3 would presumably represent such an increase in realism that it would be well worth going over old ground again. I'm sure there will be significant improvements in the ability to represent modern warfare in particular (better handling of drones, EW, modern air support, and modern air defenses). But as far as improvements that would significantly improve the representation of WW2 I'm hoping that we'll get assisted loading for crew served weapons. I believe that will significantly narrow the current gap between the Bren and the MG42.

I still hope that Combat Mission will eventually cover the whole war (and hopefully a few other wars as well). But maybe recycled TO&E and vehicle data from CM2 will help to streamline the rate at which they can cover larger stretches of time on each front.

42 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

CM3 should start with Cold War! It's the best title to start with in my humble and very selfish opintion, lots of units, long distance engagement, huge maps and lots of fun stuff to play with! :)

Yes! And it's a good middle ground if BFC is waffling between starting CM3 off with a modern title or a WW2 title. And it'll allow the modules to keep coming for CMCW after CM3. While CM3 would be exciting, I would hate if it meant abandoning CMCW.

18 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

A lot of folks have read into Steve's comments that Battlefront is going to announce something really big, such as a new game family or cmx3. .I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I suppose that's right. He didn't say that it was anything big. Just that it's something we don't know about (hasn't been announced yet). And that in telling us that they are working on something we don't know about yet at this stage they are breaking their usual rule of not announcing things until they are certain what the game (he did say "game") is going to have and at least a rough idea of when it will be released.

So it's not necessarily something ground breaking like CMx3. All we really know is that it isn't one of the things that has already been announced. It's not the CMBN or CMFI Battle Packs. It's not CMCW:BAOR. And it's not Upgrade 5. It's also reasonable to assume that nothing they've said recently as been an outright lie to throw us off the trail. If Steve says that CM:Korea or France 1940 aren't on the cards right now (though hopefully they'll be on the cards someday), then it's probably not either of those.

That still leaves open the possibility of it being CMx3, a new modern warfare game, or a new game/module incrementally rolling the clock back on either the eastern front or the Mediterranean front. Or Space Lobsters for that matter.

3 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

whole thread subsequently revolves around speculations about the next title/announcement

Yep, we were told not to bother speculating, but I hope the following might be correct 😂:

6 hours ago, Duckman said:

It's Kursk.

And I totally agree with this:

4 hours ago, Commanderski said:

I hope that @George MC is working on it. His maps and scenarios are some of the best ever.

With the lack of snow in the Cairngorms I'm sure George has some spare time.  No hang on, he's not a ski instructor...

11 minutes ago, FlammenwerferX said:

image.thumb.png.671f6e14806e3af5252c779964ea2b70.png

The cat is already out of the bag. Timelines, plural, implies more than one era/front, I gather.

Not necessarily. English can be tricky at times. It is pretty common to talk about "timelines" for a single project. In that case the plural is referring to the many hypothetical timelines the project may potentially follow, of which only one timeline will become a reality (not that most people would be thinking about it that deeply while writing or talking about "timelines" for a single project).

He could have been talking about a singular timeline for each of multiple different CMx3 projects. But I think it's more likely that he was expressing uncertainty over multiple potential timelines for a single CMx3 project (initial development of the engine itself). I believe he was saying that if one of the shorter potential CMx3 development timelines becomes a reality (one of the timelines that sees CMx3 development finished before the war in Ukraine ends) then there would be little point in resurrecting CMBS in CMx2.

I'd like to add, and some may not believe me on this, but Steve and Charles keep a tight lid on some of the things they share with others working for and with Battlefront. The quote from the Capt here may be speculation on CMX being currently under development.

MikeyD has worked as a graphics artist for Battlefront for many years. If he reads this, I bet he'd confirm his surprise at announcements from Steve in the past.

IIRC Battlefront has done work for the British and New Zealand Armies. I have a vague recollection of perhaps the Canadian Army too. Is that correct? This does not include off the self use of at least CMSF that I know has been used for training.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:36 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Hah, only 2 posts before Space Lobsters showed up.  Followed by the first ever tactical butter reference I've ever seen.  Well done, and from a member with a low post count.  Bonus points for you! :)

Steve

Space Lobsters for the win!!!