Pre-orders for Combat Mission Cold War are now open.

BFCElvis

10 minutes ago, markus544 said:

Did I hear that this game is already somewhere in my computer already....

Nope.....I think a particularly inquisitive fellow may have found some legacy items from initial testing of CM:CW, in a very obscure location (ie: where you just won't find it unless you are seriously into making the most sophisticated sort of mods).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

haha, found it (you linked it):

On 12/20/2006 at 5:03 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Moronic Max,

Compared to the other markets we've alread announced, you bet. Very small.

The other reason is that Charles and I don't have much interest in alternate history. A big clash between NATO and the Warsaw Pact didn't happen, obviously. Therefore our interest in toiling away, day after day for months, is just not there. And if Charles and I aren't psyched to do it, then it's dead right there.

We've got enough stuff to last us the next 20 years that we're very excited to do, so why would we want to delay any of that for sokmething we're not interested in doing and will be a commercial flop? We might be crazy, but we ain't stupid tongue.gif

Steve

source: 

and I am posting this in all good humor 😁 It is good that minds and situations change

Edited by The_MonkeyKing

3 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

was there not a thread where steve(or maybe some other battlefront dev) stated his disinclination for making a cold war title? years ago

Searching for phrase 'cold war' posted by 'Battlefront.com' does the trick.

You will come up with many more posts by Steve dismissing the idea of a Fulda Gap CM.

Why they changed their minds, I don't know;
But to them, my money will flow!

Best regards
Thomm

12 minutes ago, HUSKER2142 said:

@BFCElvis If it's not a secret how long ago the development of Cold War began and how did you come to this, what is it worth taking on?  

Bil or Warren can tell you for sure but here's a funny-ish story. It's also why I pushed so hard for it to be kept quite which is another story. So, I'll take a minute and tell both.

Maybe a year and half ago. I was looking at the Beta forum and I saw the Cold War forum. For whatever reason, in the back of my mind I had thought that I had seen it many times (and I probably had) but I never gave it much thought. In the back of my mind it was a long dormant legacy forum of a game that was never made. On this particular day I also noticed that a recent post had been made. HHmmmm...I wonder why anyone is posting in there. That is where I saw all of the hard work that Bil and Warren had been doing. Their plans, their research, campaign ideas, you name it. My mind was blown. At that time I think only 5 or 6 people had access to the forum. Beta testers didn't know it existed until they were invited in. When they were brought in their minds were blown too. Which led to this...............

I don't know how many people here remember the release of CMFI. When it was dropped on us testers we had no idea that anything like that game was being developed. The first time the public heard about was when pre-orders were opened. It wasn't a hard sell to HQ, Bil and Warren to recreate that. Especially with this title. We knew this was going to blow minds. I'm an old timer in these parts. I think when we had numbers attached to our forum profiles I was number 64 or somefink. I have seen people ask for this since back then and we wanted to make it's announcement something special.  I think we accomplished that. 

25 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

We knew this was going to blow minds.

My mind is definitely blown! I was dreaming about a Combat Mission: Fulda Gap for a long time, hoping that one time maybe it would come, but I knew, Battlefront had no real interest into it. But now it is really happening. I never fumbled my credit card out of my wallet so fast for a pre-order.
That is my favorite setting and the time frame of late 70s early 80s also fits very well into my wishlist.
Only thing I am missing are other countries forces, especially Germany. NVA and Bundeswehr, maybe countries like UK, Netherlands, Poland or Czechoslovakia (which was still a thing back then). But that is something, that hopefully future Addons will feature, for now, I am feeling like a Weazel-Ball for getting some cold war stuff at all.
Finally some teeth gritty desperate modern combat scenarios, where heavy losses are an acceptable sacrifice for a victory.

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

Searching for phrase 'cold war' posted by 'Battlefront.com' does the trick.

You will come up with many more posts by Steve dismissing the idea of a Fulda Gap CM.

Why they changed their minds, I don't know;
But to them, my money will flow!

Best regards
Thomm

This surprise gives me hope for a North Africa, maybe a Barbarossa or Kursk game out of the blue.... someday. 🙂
Cold War will be an interesting gaming enviro that is for sure.

Quick question:  if I preorder here (BF site), will I be able to DL via Steam on day of release?  Will there be a delay between BF release and Steam? I prefer the DL, install and update capabilities of Steam but am not ruling  out standard DL (like all my other BF purchases.)

If BF gets a bigger cut ($$$ wise) through direct DL, let me know.  I gladly put up with DL'ing from the site direct.

Just now, Megalon Jones said:

if I preorder here (BF site), will I be able to DL via Steam on day of release?

Yes.

Will there be a delay between BF release and Steam?

The plan is to launch at the same time.

If BF gets a bigger cut ($$$ wise) through direct DL, let me know. 

BF gets a bigger cut if you buy direct from their website. If you buy through Steam, both Steam and Slitherine get a cut is my understanding. If you buy on BFC and then import the key into Steam and download it there, I still think BFC gets the biggest cut. 

9 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

BF gets a bigger cut if you buy direct from their website.

I'll do that as I always do. 

I might be wrong but in the UK unfortunately it now seems like BFC games are more expensive than anywhere else in the world? 

Not my fault (I voted otherwise) and not BFC's fault (just saying).

16 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Yes.

The plan is to launch at the same time.

BF gets a bigger cut if you buy direct from their website. If you buy through Steam, both Steam and Slitherine get a cut is my understanding. If you buy on BFC and then import the key into Steam and download it there, I still think BFC gets the biggest cut. 

Done.  Thanks for the heads up.

Wow they actually did it, glad they changed their minds. Haven't touched CM in a while but this setting should bring me back. 

Hope cluster/ICM gets added to black sea as well, maybe with some of the smarter anti-armor rounds like CBU-97. Really felt like it was missing from modern armor fights.