Pre-orders for Combat Mission Cold War are now open.

BFCElvis

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

Yeah, I know, but the type of landscape isn't that different and type of trees etc.

Ouch, that would hurt everybody living near Fulda...

The main difference: The landscape near Berlin and towards the east is pretty flat, around Fulda it is pretty hilly. That's why the Fulda Gap was the most likely approach way...

In terms of vegetation: Around Berlin the soil is quite sandy, so you would mostly see open woods with birch trees. They don't have that near Fulda.

But I agree, if you see it from a distance, it may look not too different.

Edited by StieliAlpha

20 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

White camouflaged Leopard tanks on a snowy Luneburger Heide.

Hm, the description says "centered around the Fulda Gap". That's far south of the Luneburger Heide.

And snow? It hardly snows in the Lueneburger Heide (Ok, THIS years winter is different....) Assuming the game is set in summer times, there is little hope of snow. IIRC, back then in the 80's, the Warsaw Pact planned to be in Antwerp in four days or so. But let's hope for the modders!

Edited by StieliAlpha

Just now, StieliAlpha said:

Hm, the description says "centered around the Fulda Gap". That's far south of the Lunebruger Heide.

And snow? It hardly snows in the Lueneburger Heide (Ok, THIS years winter is different....) Assuming the game is set in summer times, there is little hope of snow. IIRC, back then the 80's the Warsaw Pact planned to be in Antwerp in four days or so. But let's hope for the modders!

Indeed, the winter mod for CMRT is simply brilliant.

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

The main difference: The landscape near Berlin and towards the east is pretty flat, around Fulda it is pretty hilly. That's why the Fulda Gap was the most likely approach way...

In terms of vegetation: Around Berlin the soil is quite sandy, so you would mostly see open woods with birch trees. They don't have that near Fulda.

I had to take a look at an old map and realized that I had completely forgotten how far west the East Germany to West Germany border was in some areas.

Live and learn...

13 minutes ago, rocketman said:

I had to take a look at an old map and realized that I had completely forgotten how far west the East Germany to West Germany border was in some areas.

Live and learn...

You should take a look at a map of Germany in 1914 or 1939...

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

As a 1/8 East Prussian (Königsberg), why should he? 😉 Things changed and the world has moved on.

Just a reminder of the biggest ethnical cleansing that ever took place in Europe. You and Prussian blood? Hard to imagine. 😉

Edited by Aragorn2002

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Good point though. The soil around Berlin is sandy indeed and because of that the woods differ from those in the Fulda area.

1 hour ago, Canada Guy said:

Pre-ordered. looks like they are closing in on the 1000 mark for pre-orders. 

1,000 marks - a fortune in Cold War terms ... 😏 - I seem to recall that a beer on the British Military Train to Berlin (link below) in the late 80s cost 50 pfennigs - that would be 2,000 beers.

(18) Watch | Facebook

Edited by Combatintman