Red Thunder worth the money?

Hi guys

I just checked out Red Thunder and though it looks like a nice expansion. Well expansion my ass.. this thing costs 55$?

I mean I have checked out Combat Mission Shock Force before and judging by the content, nothing impressive or new has been added to justify that price?

Is the game worth the money?

More than worth the money, but the game's not going anywhere. Wait for the demo to come out, give it a test run, and then purchase the game. Playing CMSF and CMRT is like night and day. Unless you can discern no difference between 2007 Syria and 1944 Belarus. That's rather like saying all movies are projected on the same movie screen so you only need to see one.

It isn't an expansion. It's a complete stand-alone game with units, formations, missions, campaigns, and such that aren't found in the other base games. . The Commonwealth, Market Garden, and Gustavo Line modules are expansions of CMBN and CMFI. Those cannot be used without the base game. CMRT is definitely worth the cost.

Given the longevity of the individual games, CMRT will have a long life. Replayability is a quality all its own.

Value is a subjective number, but if I consider what I've spent on CM titles over the years ($500?) versus the time spent playing (uncounted, but huge), where else would I spend it? 3 movies per year for 10 years? Dinner for two once a year for 10 years?

That said, the entire CM series isn't some people's cup of tea. Perhaps it isn't yours, but that's your decision.

Definately worth money e ven though there are just the scenarios that ame with the game for now. Something I suspect will change quite soon!

Then BF will be adding on modules that will include other formations sch as the Waffen SS (we never see them in an iniial release)

We now have AA guns that actually fire at attacking aircraft though I have yet to see onne being shot down. Some improvements to the map editor.

If you like Russiamn Front 1944 onwards (BF sa they plan o finish the series of Russian Front games with Berlin. Some of the tank battle scenarios (such as Gog and Magog) are rather spectacular affairs to say the least.

So yes, definately worth the $55 (just under £40) The price of a hard back book.

if you have a previous part of the game - you can not expect a revolution, just a new front, new vehicle models, scenarios, campaigns, plus no big changes in mechanics - but if you do not have previous parts, are the most worth it - in this segment, there is no better game.

as a loyal fan, I bought;)

Seeing as you have only ever posted in the Combat Mission: Afghanistan forums, I'd say pretty much everything in CMRT is new to you (except maby an old mosin-nagant rifle here and there) so why are you even asking if it's "worth the money"?

It's not an expansion.

Just like Battlefield 4 is not an expansion of Battlefield 3 even though alot of the basics are still there.

I do, however, agree with some of the other posters here in that you seem to have a negative tone.

We can't tell you if it's worth the money or not. Because we are not you.

Do you like the eastern front?

Do you like Combat Mission?

If you answer yes to both those questions, then it's probably worth the money.

Well, I bought CMSF, CMBN + all modules and almost never played them - just to get this... The later CMBN versions where getting good but I really appreciate the Eastern Front where both sides can find a tank around the corner that can kill your best tank with one shot (not counting a lucky one).

And boy it's worth it! The game may look rather similar looking at screen shots, but it plays totally different from that first experiment (CMSF). In CMSF I was tearing my hair for every stupid action my grunts managed to pull off, In CMRT I'm proud of them!

I just played through the tutorial campaign to brush off some rust - and what a joy it was. Soldiers assaulting like they should - tanks that find their way and do it in style. Hit's on enemy tanks where you can replay over and over again to see that critical penetration.

The only things I miss now is the CMx1 "enter" unit info screen and roads that are spline based. But that can wait until CMx3! And maybe a unit list / sheet that can be pulled up to see all units with their current status/suppression/ammo/kills/wounded/enemies killed etc. Would be very nice while playing and great for the after battle review...

That depends on how much you like the concept of CM games. If I took all the money i spent on CM titles and divided it by the time i spent playing them, i would probably end up with something like less than 10 cents per hour. So for me, it was was absolutely worth it. I would recommend you that if you liked all the previous titles you should definately get this one as well. Chances that you are going to be disappointed are small. Otherwise wait for demo and judge by first hand experience if the game is worth 55$ to you.

I know i am going to get it soon.

DeeYay,

Don't be detracted by the slightly snide remarks. I think they cannot believe you asked this question in the first place.

Yes, it is definitely worth the money in my case (and everyone is different). I get great enjoyment out of these games and if money is tight, wait a while, save up for a few months and buy it, maybe check out the demo. If this is your form of entertainment, then I think it is worth it as I only have paid about 10 cents (and that's Canadian cents) per hour of play. Even renting a bad movie or even worse, going to see a bad movie (I am looking at you Captain America) cost about $8 per hour.

Then there are the mods (we have a great group of guys that mod these WWII games to the hilt - much more so than CM:Afghanistan) and the additional scenarios and the quick battles that you should be playing this game for about 5-10 years to come.

Perhaps even play a PBEM game against a bad opponent like me and you will feel King of the world. See, this game even battles low self-esteem. What more can you ask for?

A show of hands here... how many people who have RT and played Shock Force don't think there's anything new in Red Thunder? Nobody? Good, because I'd hate to spend the time cutting and pasting the hundreds of things added since Shock Force into a single document :D Actually, I think someone did that for just Shock Force itself a long time ago, and it was pretty long.

Anyway, it's always an "each to his own" thing. I doubt many CM buyers think the purchase price is unfair given the amount of time they spend playing. If one adds up the scenario times for everything on the disk, and only played those battles, only from one side, and only once there's about 30 hours of play time right there. That's about $1.80 an hour's worth of entertainment. Even the senior discounts at a noon-time showing of a 4 week old movie costs more than that. Not to mention that it takes less than the hour to consume the $10 in popcorn and watered down soda that is on offer :) And don't even get me started about how much money is spent per minute of enjoyment on a typical Starbucks purchase!

Steve

A show of hands here... how many people who have RT and played Shock Force don't think there's anything new in Red Thunder? Nobody? Good, because I'd hate to spend the time cutting and pasting the hundreds of things added since Shock Force into a single document :D Actually, I think someone did that for just Shock Force itself a long time ago, and it was pretty long.

Anyway, it's always an "each to his own" thing. I doubt many CM buyers think the purchase price is unfair given the amount of time they spend playing. If one adds up the scenario times for everything on the disk, and only played those battles, only from one side, and only once there's about 30 hours of play time right there. That's about $1.80 an hour's worth of entertainment. Even the senior discounts at a noon-time showing of a 4 week old movie costs more than that. Not to mention that it takes less than the hour to consume the $10 in popcorn and watered down soda that is on offer :) And don't even get me started about how much money is spent per minute of enjoyment on a typical Starbucks purchase!

Steve

Oh please do make the list so we can bring it out every time someone calls it an "expansion" or claims that there is "hardly anything new" in CMRT :D

It is certainly worth the money.

As mentioned elsewhere one of the good things is that the core CMx2 code gets better in a strictly increasing curve. Charles adds fixes for issues raised by us all the time, and he ****s up rarely. Whether you would like a faster pace of fixes or not, at least it is not a 2 steps forward, 1 step back situation.

Some of the non-Charles technical aspects of CMx2 such as patching, downloading and DRM are ... a more complex matter. But if you end up with a running game Charles' work is what counts.

Hi guys

I just checked out Red Thunder and though it looks like a nice expansion. Well expansion my ass.. this thing costs 55$?

This isn't really a question. The English I learnt in school says that is not a question...

I mean I have checked out Combat Mission Shock Force before and judging by the content, nothing impressive or new has been added to justify that price?

I wouldn't know I don't play Shock Force.

HELL-YES.

I GET SO TIRED OF ANY THREAD THAT QUESTIONS THE COST FOR THE GAME OR ANY MODULE'S OF THE GAME

Unless you never play it after you buy it, it is worth the purchase. And if you buy it and dont play it, then that is all your fault.

Nothing more needs to be said. Can someone please show me any entertainment that will not cost more than computer games in a very short while.

If you played the game for 8 hours and never tuoched it again, you would have spent less than almost anything else you do with your free time and it cost you money to do it.

First off, I don't think you are giving CMSF its due. If you played it at the very beginning, yeah, there was a lot of stuff that needed fixing. By the time the NATO module and patches wrapped it up it was a stellar game. That being said, CMBN, FI, and now RT are waaaay beyond that. Much has been added and keeps getting added. Things have changed and for the better.

I look at CM as being broken up into 4 parts, playing, screwing around in the editor/testing, modding, and scenario designing. I utilize 75% of what CM offers, which means I do everything listed except design scenarios. No other game or game series or hobby has filled my time and given me the enjoyment CM has. For me it's always been a no-brainer.

Mord.

Haven't had much time to play extensively, but already there is a lot to like. Looks and feels like the Eastern Front. I find other periods more interesting, but RT may change that.

Personally I've never been dissapointed with a CM game.

It may not be for everyone for various reasons, but for many of us its The game to play.