Red Thunder worth the money?

WELL, we really should not pick on him.

There is a basic problem in that there are gamers which are caught up in the big named companies concept of what a game needs to be and then there is Wargamers which are caught up in a game that tries to protrey itself in a realistic manor.

He just does not understand that this is a wargamer's game, done by a small group of guys that are into wargaming themselves and that there is no way for what he is requesting to ever happen.

For wargaming is not a hobby that will ever pull in the volume of people to get a product he is wanting.

Naaah, they need a cold shower of facts sometimes.

They'll never get their heads out of the graphics gutter unless they get a shock to the system.

I think the quests in Red Thunder are actually quite cool. Love the Tiger boss at the end of the Bagration level. Also the scene where Rudel attacks the dragon while jumping out of his Stuka was EPIC! Shame the Stalin dragon only dropped a PPSh though.

Well, I've only gotten to the point where you have to use the anti-tank dogs to take out the zombie SS sniper--thanks for the spoiler, jerk!

Motherboard, Liquid cooler and Power Supply arrive Friday. Case and SSDs are here. The rest of the hackintosh parts will be here by middle of next week. Build my EBR - EVO-Black-Resurection. Install an Apple and an Evil OS then order CMRT! Already playing CMRT Soviet Music Mod, by Saferight... to get in the mood :D

mmm $28.00 dollars 2 tickets to see 3D Cpt. America winter Soldier, 2xpocorn $16.00,2xlrg sodas $10.00,2x jelly belly's $12.00, =$65.00 dollars and just a kiss at the door.

yea worth the money.

Well what did you expect taking her to see Capt America?!! LOL

Having different turret numbers and unique faces for each and every soldier is going to take far too much effort for far too little return.

IIRC Steve said that decals are the first step towards assigning individual marks to vehicles and units (like turret numbers and unit designations). So I guess we will see that sometime in the future.

What I find funny is this...

I mean I have been readin the forums and the suggestion demanded by the community to be implemented but nothing important seems to have come true:

First, nearly nothing on his list has been discussed on this forum at least. Second, the balance of the feature requests are absolutely idiotic because a) they have absolutely nothing to do with CM's scope or B) they are factually wrong. Then there's the "I think Combat Mission should have everything a $50,000,000 game has and also some stuff that even they can't do". Always my favorite ;) What remains are a couple of minor, mostly graphical, points that certainly are up for consideration.

And we end with an easy answer...

Come on am i the only one complaining about the lack of substance?

Yup, because you have defined "substance" differently than the people who actually play Combat Mission.

As always, it is a free market out there. Anybody that thinks Combat Mission isn't exciting or interesting enough to play is welcome to go out and buy a competing product. We're comfortable with that.

Steve

I stop buying total war games, last one was napoleon and I regret buying it ...after I got the Cmbn is all Combatmission for new games

so can someone close this thread please,, its starting to be annoying watching the question on top everytime I check the forums lol ..........ohh I forgot to say I got Shock force month before Red thunder so yea worth the money

Hi guys

I just checked out Red Thunder and though it looks like a nice expansion. Well expansion my ass.. this thing costs 55$?

I mean I have checked out Combat Mission Shock Force before and judging by the content, nothing impressive or new has been added to justify that price?

Is the game worth the money?

It is definitely worth the money.

- Do the soldier animation behave more natural and less clumsy?

- Are vehicles and soldiers individual?

- Are the doctrines of the axis and the allied taken into account? Soviet soldier routing when loosing the leader? NKVD kommisars overwatching the battles? German forces applying their Blitzkrieg. Order 227?

Rout my a**! This dude has an answer to all this... just as soon as he finishes reloading...

asskicker_zps8d0312d4.jpg

Not a full troll, at least. Look back at his previous posts... at one point he was making stuff for Shock Force. My guess is after that he played ARMA 2 and figured that there's no reason (including $50,000,000) we shouldn't be making the same thing.

Steve

I gave Iron Front: Liberation 1944 (a paid Arma2 mod)the old college try as a kind of hybrid first-person/CM-ish tactical experience a few months ago. At first, I thought I was onto something, as the "High Command" feature seemed to allow for a kind of ultra-iron mode of tactical play. So, I created full CM-like company formations in the editor and built CM-like defenses to throw them against, allowing myself to jump where needed to play 1st-person or run from High Command. It seemed to work surprisingly well until...

first enemy contact.

Then, the Arma version of the TacAI fell apart. Mainly, infantry teams not directly controlled by the player do what I call "the creep of death" where they keep pressing forward to their doom and there is no way to get them to stop. That and the fact that the AI teams do not remotely use realistic tactics in relation to their weapons.

It's a shame. I experienced many amazing moments that felt realistic. But overall, the experience is way too uneven and there are dealbreakers. -Better to accept the game for what it is trying to be in the first place.

Now...if Battlefront would put their minds to it...He-he.

Actually, I'm looking really forward to testing the "Gold Standard" of CMx2's armor and ballistics against those in IF1944 to see where it falls short. I could swear that tanks in it have are more frontally vulnerable when they move than whey they are stationary when hit in the same location.

Oh, but the worst thing hands down: AFV PATHFINDING. Holy-chit! AFVs constantly pointing their hull side and rear armor towards the enemy and failing to navigate wide urban roads.

Still, when it works, it's quite a rush. I enjoyed being a T34-76 commander the best.

Last thing, as good as the CMRT models are, once Aris takes his skill to the textures, RT may give IFL1944 a run for its money on AFV graphics.

Nice job BF!

I gave Iron Front: Liberation 1944 (a paid Arma2 mod)the old college try as a kind of hybrid first-person/CM-ish tactical experience a few months ago. At first, I thought I was onto something, as the "High Command" feature seemed to allow for a kind of ultra-iron mode of tactical play. So, I created full CM-like company formations in the editor and built CM-like defenses to throw them against, allowing myself to jump where needed to play 1st-person or run from High Command. It seemed to work surprisingly well until...

first enemy contact.

Then, the Arma version of the TacAI fell apart. Mainly, infantry teams not directly controlled by the player do what I call "the creep of death" where they keep pressing forward to their doom and there is no way to get them to stop. That and the fact that the AI teams do not remotely use realistic tactics in relation to their weapons.

It's a shame. I experienced many amazing moments that felt realistic. But overall, the experience is way too uneven and there are dealbreakers. -Better to accept the game for what it is trying to be in the first place.

Now...if Battlefront would put their minds to it...He-he.

Actually, I'm looking really forward to testing the "Gold Standard" of CMx2's armor and ballistics against those in IF1944 to see where it falls short. I could swear that tanks in it have are more frontally vulnerable when they move than whey they are stationary when hit in the same location.

Oh, but the worst thing hands down: AFV PATHFINDING. Holy-chit! AFVs constantly pointing their hull side and rear armor towards the enemy and failing to navigate wide urban roads.

Still, when it works, it's quite a rush. I enjoyed being a T34-76 commander the best.

Last thing, as good as the CMRT models are, once Aris takes his skill to the textures, RT may give IFL1944 a run for its money on AFV graphics.

Nice job BF!

If you want a pretty well made (albeit not pretty) first person WWII "simulator" you can't go wrong with WWII Online.

It's pretty awesome.

I don't play it any more because I don't like paying the montly fee and it does get repetetive after a few years :P

Thanks, Oddball.

I actually played that in its first year, but gave up on it. IMHO, no matter how good your weapons and equipment models are, without good AI troopers to fill formations out and do the boring jobs (I mostly remember bunker duty), you inevitably have a game of capture the flag.

If IFL/Arma had BF doing its TacAI, gave the HighCommand function an effective "Stop" mechanism for AI-led teams, and fixed its many AFV issues, it would be pretty darn good.

Thanks, Oddball.

I actually played that in its first year, but gave up on it. IMHO, no matter how good your weapons and equipment models are, without good AI troopers to fill formations out and do the boring jobs (I mostly remember bunker duty), you inevitably have a game of capture the flag.

If IFL/Arma had BF doing its TacAI, gave the HighCommand function an effective "Stop" mechanism for AI-led teams, and fixed its many AFV issues, it would be pretty darn good.

They do have some better solutions to that now IIRC... maby it's time to give it a try again :)

Macisle, my experience was pretty similar with IFL. And I couldn't stand the single player campaign - seemed I was being constantly yelled at and abused by Major Hochstetter. I saw some pretty decent youtube vids of huge multiplayer skirmishes using IFL, and another WW2 mod of ARMA2. The AI of ARMA2 is admitted by many to be its weak point.

IIRC Steve said that decals are the first step towards assigning individual marks to vehicles and units (like turret numbers and unit designations). So I guess we will see that sometime in the future.

Right, and correct rank insignia for each soldier as well.

Macisle, my experience was pretty similar with IFL. And I couldn't stand the single player campaign - seemed I was being constantly yelled at and abused by Major Hochstetter. I saw some pretty decent youtube vids of huge multiplayer skirmishes using IFL, and another WW2 mod of ARMA2. The AI of ARMA2 is admitted by many to be its weak point.

I actually haven't played all the way through any of the missions or campaigns. I started the Russian campaign, but in the first mission, it seemed very canned--like guys were being shot at, but not dying until I had made it to the right place on the map. So, I just went to the editor and started making my own. Then I stayed there.

Things have gotten better since the IFL Revival Project allowed IFL to be imported as a mod for Arma2. However, now that I'm back into CM, I'm finding it very hard to deal with the holes in the game (like, uh, a max-skilled Pak40 not being able to hit a T34, but that same T34, with a zero-level skill rating, spotting and knocking out the ATG in one shot, when it's located in a gun trench in the woods. Little stuff like that...).

Still, there is a lot in the game to love. Great graphics and a much better tank game than in vanilla Arma2 (which is hopelessly arcade).

But...it ain't no CMx2. Honey, I'm home!