Gustav Line.

"Gustav line is going to be big. I mean physically, really really big."

Yes…. really really big!… "Michael Emrys seems to have nailed it."

:)

And then we move North cause it ain't over there.

"The problem with Italy is there were SO MANY different forces fighting all at the same time. It was probably the single largest mix of international forces until modern times."

Monte Cassino from what I was told … the 1st hand World War II experiences from those veterans who (now passed) actually FOUGHT… literally from North Africa to the top of Italy … Monte Cassino was a VERY eclectic group of participants, equipment and very, very BRUTAL fighting in very unforgiving terrain. Their description of the fighting ferocity of various units (especially the Polish and Indians) was petrifying to me decades removed from the conflict.

Italy (with all it's warts and mistakes) is IMO often a very under appreciated yet significant part of WWII.

Bring on the Modules and Packs…. (and maybe DRONES for SF2):D

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I should add that our artists have been picking away at Bagration and Shock Force 2 for the last year or so. Now that Gustav Line is done (on that score) and Market Garden is nearly finished (again, speaking of artwork), the team will soon switch over full time to finish up the mountain of work both of those new theaters require.

Steve

I've said it before: you are mean...just cruel. First you announce Gustav, chat up Market Garden (the module that I personally cannot wait for) and then say that all attention can now focus on two new games?!?

Bob

Will British and Commonwealth infantry feature appropriate Khaki drill? ie. bush jackets, drill shirts and trousers and shorts for Sicily Italian mainland July- Sept. as well as normal Battle dress for cooler periods heading up the boot? Also we need some jaunty helmet positioning .

http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/image-607-eng.asp?page_id=673

post-2705-1418676244_thumb.jpg

These are just the alpha shots, so I don't want to complain too loudly, but the snow I am seeing is awfully dark and gray. Snow is incredibly bright stuff as long as it is reasonably clean, as I discovered when I tried to photograph it years ago. It really should only show any color at all in shadows; otherwise, totally white on-screen.

I agree. It looks like it has a fine layer of coal dust on it. Snow in sunshine is blindingly white.

Otherwise everything looks great. Except I did notice the British Shermans got stuck with low-poly mantlets again :D

Open either CMBN or CMFI and go to the editor. Look at how bright the ground is at 7am, 11am, 14:00 hours and dusk. The difference is - to coin a phrase - like night and day. There's only a couple snow screenshots up at they both look as though they were taken at the editor's default 9am (9am January is still pretty darned early).

Great source. Thanks :)

Yeah, although this "Most of the Italian inland was mountanous: by blocking a few passes with assault guns and anti-tank pill-boxes (as the Panther's one) the Germans were able to contain the menace with their thinily spread forces" is nonsense. The Germans weren't especially thinly spread in Italy, and they didn't use their Panther turrets either 'inland' or to block 'mountain passes'.

Here's an example of one from the Gothic Line

WH2-2ItaP026a.jpg

more images here:

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22479487

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22900535

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22687112

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22716956

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22552783

There is an account of encountering - and defeating - some Panther turrets on the Rimini airfield (clearly NOT an inland mountainous pass ...) here:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2-18Ba-c37.html#n543

One? One? If you are fantasizing about having four beautiful wives you do not have to limit yourself to sleeping with one. Just sayin' ;)

Thirty years ago I would have been in complete agreement with you. I'm sure the entire family could have fit comfortably into one space and no one would have been left unattended, if you catch my drift. The passage of time, however, has as it always does and you will in your turn discover (provided you do not die tomorrow), left its mark on yours truly. Most of the time these days is spent in quieter pursuits, and only one partner at a time is required. Still, it was an interesting few decades back then...

Michael

Thirty years ago I would have been in complete agreement with you. I'm sure the entire family could have fit comfortably into one space and no one would have been left unattended, if you catch my drift. The passage of time, however, has as it always does and you will in your turn discover (provided you do not die tomorrow), left its mark on yours truly. Most of the time these days is spent in quieter pursuits, and only one partner at a time is required. Still, it was an interesting few decades back then...

Michael

A wise man once said "I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was" ;)

These are just the alpha shots, so I don't want to complain too loudly, but the snow I am seeing is awfully dark and gray. Snow is incredibly bright stuff as long as it is reasonably clean, as I discovered when I tried to photograph it years ago. It really should only show any color at all in shadows; otherwise, totally white on-screen.

Michael

I took those screenshots in the morning as I recall. The sun wasn't quite up.

Just wondering..didn't the German airborne troops where a different type of helmet to standard German troops?

if you go to the gustav line homepage you can see falschirmjäger with the iconic fj helmet in the background. I don't know why they wear the standard helmet in the overview screenshot.

That's because you aren't looking at FJ in that screenshot, you are looking at troops from the HG Panzer Division.

Uniforms for all of the nations are still a work in progress, many of them are still using placeholders from CMBN or the CMFI base game. So I wouldn't worry too much about the uniforms you see in the screenshots right now, we're working on it. :)