Gustav Line.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed them too. Look a lot like Cassino, don´t they? I think they are just modular buildings used creatively, though.

Yeah, they do. As much as I like new vehicles I hope an equal amount of time, talent and energy will be invested in new buildings for all modules. Pity these aren't new, but they look great.

screenshot 11 and 12

11 squad moves in line/wedge formation

12 squad moves in file formation

I fear that's just happenstance. Modules don't have new gameplay features. So unless the alpha build is also an alpha of v3, it's just the way the squad/team has been massaged by the terrain.

No plans for the FJ 42 in Gustav Line right now. At this time period it was super rare on the front lines in Italy, if present at all. (Read: The front lines, not pictures of occupation units north of the battles or the Gran Sasso raid ;) )

Now, Market Garden is another matter...

I had hoped to see German Gebirgsjäger in the Gustav Line module. Does anyone know if they are planed for a later pack?

They'd make a nice pairing with US 10th Mountain Division troops -- although I don't know if the mountain infantry regiments had any particular TO&E or kit that wouldn't already be in the game by that point. Does anyone know? The fact that their battles came in 1945 might require some additions/changes, I suppose. (of course they had skis, but they didn't use them in Italy and I'm sure CMFI doesn't plan to simulate skiing.)

fg42-04-px800.jpg

Fallschirmjäger in the ruins of cassino.

I'm not sure about this picture. It may have been taken anywhere. It's definitely propaganda. Examine it closer. Who rests and fires his rifle/gun on a box full of handgrenades during normal engagement where the opposite side may shoot back? I sure wouldn't even like to be in the same house as this guy..

Of course it is a propaganda picture, but that doesn't mean it wasn't taken in Cassino. Considering the other weapons lying around it might even have been taken in some kind of ammo/material dump. However, it genuinely looks like the building they are in is destroyed and the equipment of the paratrooper fits for Italy.

It's also clearly not a part of this series from the Gran Sasso raid:

FG-42-9.png

Or this one from Normandy:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-720-0344-11__Frankreich__Fallschirmj__ger_mit_FJG_42_in_Stellung

Now generally speaking, inclusion of an infantry weapon like this does not make a big difference gameplay wise, especially since it would be very rare. On the other hand, tons of different tank production runs are included, even if the difference between them is negligible. I think it would be nice to have some more obscure infantry weapons, just to mix things up and add detail. One of the great things about cm2 is that it simulates single soldiers and their equipment, so why not introduce some more randomization where applicable? The Italians could have the Carcano carbine, the Germans could have the occasional G41 in Sicily to add a semi automatic rifle to the mix or maybe a captured Beretta.