Gustav Line.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing..now time to purchase CMFI I think.

From FB page...

"Welcome to Mainland Italy!

Announcing "Combat Mission Fortress Italy - GUSTAV LINE", the first module the the Combat Mission Fortress Italy family of WW2 tactical ground combat simulations. Fortress Italy: Gustav Line depicts the desperate battle for the Italian mainland, revolving around Salerno, Anzio, and Monte Cassino, and culminating in the capture of Rome on June 4, 1944. The Commonwealth side of Operation Husky in Sicily is also depicted.

German Fallschirmjäger

The Fallschirmjäger make their long-anticipated jump into Fortress Italy: Gustav Line! Command this elite airborne force starting on the Plain of Catania in Sicily, to the blasted heights of Monte Cassino, and beyond.

Commonwealth Nations

Fortress Italy: Gustav Line also introduces the combat formations of the United Kingdom, Canada, Poland, and New Zealand to the Italian Front, painstakingly researched to be as true as possible to the Italian Theater.

AA Guns

Antiaircraft weapons are finally here! Gustav Line introduces German Flak and Allied Bofors, as well as self-propelled AA guns mounted in halftracks.

Seasons (Snow!)

The Gustav Line module depicts July 9, 1943 to June 4, 1944. That's almost a year of combat through all four seasons! Snowy weather is here, as well as dynamic spring, summer, autumn, and winter terrain changes based on the date.

New Major Formations

In keeping with historical change, formations in Fortress Italy: Gustav Line will change their internal organization over time as the various militaries applied their combat experience to the structure of their combat formations.

Combat Mission Fortress Italy - GUSTAV LINE is currently in development and will be available for pre-order in the coming weeks for only $35. Gustav Line is a module and requires the base game, Combat Mission Fortress Italy, in order to play. In fact, if you have the Tin Case edition of CMFI, Gustav Line will fit snugly into the same box ;-)"

Very happy to see Polish units included. I was concerned they'd be left out of their proper place of honor re capturing Monte Cassino. Thanks BF!

On a related note, I was always under the impression that due to their intense hatred for the Nazis, the Poles were willing to accept much greater casualties than most Allied forces (viz the Polish Battle of Britain pilots). So, I wonder if the Poles would qualify as "fanatic"?

Yes, it does appear this module is going to pack a lot of "bang for your buck." An entire year of the Italian theater with Commonwealth forces, fallschirmjaegers, and changing seasons. That's a lot of stuff.

However, my initial reaction was the disappointing realization that this probably means that the release of the Market-Garden module for CMBN is many months away. I had been hoping that the announcement for Market-Garden pre-orders was just around the corner, but instead it's another "detour" to Italy. It's a disappointment.

I'm sorry to MTO fans, but the Italian theater? Meh.

Seasons (Snow!)

These are just the alpha shots, so I don't want to complain too loudly, but the snow I am seeing is awfully dark and gray. Snow is incredibly bright stuff as long as it is reasonably clean, as I discovered when I tried to photograph it years ago. It really should only show any color at all in shadows; otherwise, totally white on-screen.

Michael

Oh boy, I am playing CMBN a lot with the 2.01 patch, since it is sooo good now. And now this puppy is announced. BFC keep on giving and giving (for a small fee). I trust that the magnificent changes to the engine in CMBN 2.01 make it into Gustav too?

O, and I am surprised Gustav is out before Market Garden, or will there be an additional announcement shortly...

Good times, that's for sure!

I'm quite disappointed, Monte Cassino but no Free France troops announced (well, mostly North Africans and Black Africans but they were quite heroic).

EDIT : burnt by Michael ^^

See Steve's comments below. I would imagine that the Free French would be included in a CM:FI Pack.

Astute readers will note that I mentioned the term "Packs" up above. This is a term we have not used publicly much, if at all, so far. However, you will see a lot more mention of this in the months and years to come. So let me take this moment to start the education process :)

A big bottleneck in Modules is the tight focus of the content. This means we have to fully develop the theme and also provide Campaigns and Battles to support that theme. It is very time consuming for many reasons.

You have seen me talk about the "odds and ends" concept relating to Normandy. Specifically releasing a bunch of rare/strange vehicles, formations, and perhaps even terrain. A "Pack" is just that... a collection of things which are collectively cool, but not related to each other thematically. For example, we might include British Funnies, German converted French vehicles, German Stomach/Ost Battalion TO&E, the church of St. Marie Iglesias, Rommel Asparagus, etc. See what I mean about no real common theme other than "ooo... that would be cool!"? :)

The point about Packs is we can do them faster than we can Modules. We can also price them according to how much stuff we cram into them. Maybe we do a couple of fairly small, more focused Packs ("German Normandy Defense Variety Pack" and "British Funnies and Oddities"), maybe we do a larger Pack ("Normandy Oddities"). It all depends on our schedule and what we think is worth doing.

The last part is important for us. Since we can crank out more Packs in a year than Modules, this means overall you guys will get more stuff to play with in a shorter period of time. The downside is there will be few, if any, Campaigns or Battles in the Packs. And that means you can't get in and start playing with the new stuff until people make battles with them or you like to play QBs. A Pack, however, could simply be a bunch of Campaigns and Battles. It's all very flexible and we're not going to get nailed down to anything right now, hence not making much mention of it until now.

Steve