CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

For yourself? For yourself? This is a community, you know. ;-)

Aragon, you're right The thing about these covers is that I don't know how accurate historically they are. How I came up with them was by visiting various online WW 2 uniform stores and reading what they had to say, and looking over what they were selling, and then starting up Paint Shop Pro. Not exactly rigorous research.

Later on today I'll post at the mods forum some pictures of them, and if there is any positive feedback I'll send them to the repository. Mike.

Aragon, you're right The thing about these covers is that I don't know how accurate historically they are. How I came up with them was by visiting various online WW 2 uniform stores and reading what they had to say, and looking over what they were selling, and then starting up Paint Shop Pro. Not exactly rigorous research.

Later on today I'll post at the mods forum some pictures of them, and if there is any positive feedback I'll send them to the repository. Mike.

From what I see on this screenshots I like 'm!

and got nothing except this post which isn't about HOW to take them. Though I think in perusing the forum months ago that I DID come upon a thread about the difficulties of taking one? And didn't save it.

All I know is that for years I have been taking screenshots by hitting the PrtScn button and then going into an imaging program like Paint or Thumbs or even MS Word...and hitting "paste" and up comes the shot. When I do this now when a CM screen is displayed, all I get when I paste is a shot of my desktop. I COULD do it in the old Classic CM on with XP OS>

Clearly there is some way to do this because I have seen the screenshots some of you have posted in this thread. So what am I doing wrong? I do believe, with no exaggeration, that in all my years of "computing" this is the first time I have tried to take and print screenshots that I could not do it.

What is the trick? And my apologies if this is covered somewhere, but I have very bad luck searching these forums. To wit: If I use one word I get a message that my search quest is too short...and maddeningly, if I type in "how to take screen shot" I STILL GET a message that my quest in UNDER the minimum search limit...so I have resort to bothering you all....BTW I loved the screenshot of woman in the window disrobing...I think it was in response to someone asking why the close view of a squad was looking up. You guys are too funny.

and got nothing except this post which isn't about HOW to take them. Though I think in perusing the forum months ago that I DID come upon a thread about the difficulties of taking one? And didn't save it.

All I know is that for years I have been taking screenshots by hitting the PrtScn button and then going into an imaging program like Paint or Thumbs or even MS Word...and hitting "paste" and up comes the shot. When I do this now when a CM screen is displayed, all I get when I paste is a shot of my desktop. I COULD do it in the old Classic CM on with XP OS>

Clearly there is some way to do this because I have seen the screenshots some of you have posted in this thread. So what am I doing wrong? I do believe, with no exaggeration, that in all my years of "computing" this is the first time I have tried to take and print screenshots that I could not do it.

What is the trick? And my apologies if this is covered somewhere, but I have very bad luck searching these forums. To wit: If I use one word I get a message that my search quest is too short...and maddeningly, if I type in "how to take screen shot" I STILL GET a message that my quest in UNDER the minimum search limit...so I have resort to bothering you all....BTW I loved the screenshot of woman in the window disrobing...I think it was in response to someone asking why the close view of a squad was looking up. You guys are too funny.

Download a screen shot program called FRAPS, it's free. That's what I use and I have no problems with it.

Next download a free graphics program, I have used Paint.net, it's much better than MS Paint.

The free version of FRAPS saves the screen shots as bmp. files. Use Paint.net or whatever graphics program you like, to make adjustments such as cropping,brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.

When the shot looks good to you and you plan to share with the rest of us, you need to save it as a jpeg for uploading. Use Paint.net for this as well.

FRAPS and Paint.net should get you heading for that Pulitzer Prize in combat photography.

Thank you so much. I am off to find FRAPS...I can use Thumbs to refine a photo but I appreciated the suggestion of paint and also below some told me that they use GIMP. I am surprised that if GIMP works by just opening and pasting I don't know why my Thumbs program won't do that...it always did...thank you again...

BTW...I mostly want to take screen shots to print out the overhead Map View of a battle...even if they come out small they were always useful in planning out a strategy...but if I catch some cool shot during a game, I will share...once I get the procedure down.

Download a screen shot program called FRAPS, it's free. That's what I use and I have no problems with it.

Next download a free graphics program, I have used Paint.net, it's much better than MS Paint.

The free version of FRAPS saves the screen shots as bmp. files. Use Paint.net or whatever graphics program you like, to make adjustments such as cropping,brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.

When the shot looks good to you and you plan to share with the rest of us, you need to save it as a jpeg for uploading. Use Paint.net for this as well.

FRAPS and Paint.net should get you heading for that Pulitzer Prize in combat photography.

Still out of luck. The procedure for using FRAPS seems a snap but didn't work for me.

I allowed the default save folder...C:Fraps/Screenshots, and I accepted the default HOT KEY F10 but when I had the game open and the map on the screen and hit the F10 key...and then minimized to the desktop, and looked into the fraps folder....no .bmp file. I went to help and the help is no help at all for screenshots...just a simple explanation of the options on hotkey and folder for saving...

So once again something simple...is not.

I must be doing something wrong but damned if I can figure out what.

I didn't have the stupid FLock key ON...I should have realized this because when I first started playing CM, I couldn't get the F keys to work as a shortcut to the command menus...and I realized it was because the FLock was off...when off the keys function with, of course, MS keys...the F10 on my MS keyboard is "spell check." I think I was lucky that this old feeble brain even made the connection.

Worked fine. Took a shot, it saved as a bmp, I used Thumbs to open it, save it as a jpeg and then I used Thumbs edit functions to improve the visual quality and it printed the map reasonably well in B&W....

Once again THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS...if I hadn't screwed up the FLock I would have downloaded, installed, and took a screenshot with about ten minutes of you telling to do download FRAPS etc.

I think you guys who monitor this forum are "miracle makers"...whoever you are I hope you are making a lot of money in life:)

• 2 weeks later...