CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis

I was making a joke when I when I referred to your troops as being in the quartermaster corp.

In my military career I spent some time in the catering platoon. I don't understand why, but I was sent on a cooking course at the Army Cooking School. I heard lots of stories about cooks in the Vietnam war. I was told all the rear echolon personel (including the cooks) were issued with rifles and were expected to do picket duty (albeit in the rear).

Of course, they wouldn't have been sent to the front line.

I knew a catering Corps guy who got drafted onto the streets in NI when they needed every swinging d*ck in the field. He survived being hit by a petrol bomb. Every now and again he'd wear his partially charred combat jacket on parade, waite for a noob sergeant major to start bollocking to get another opportunity to 'swing a lantern' and tell his war story much to the amusement of our unit's new guys.

This is just another delaying tactic by BFC to quell the rebellion from the masses demanding the game be released.

I'm with you Lt Belenko and no offence Elvis but for me, a whole new thread discussuing what went right or wrong in your battle, is just not for me. I would prefer you start another battle mate.

The thing about the Viet Nam war was that the front line was nowhere and everywhere. While most of the fighting took place out in the boonies, it could erupt suddenly in the middle of Hue or Saigon or anywhere. The air base at Danang was rocketed and mortared more than once. While the cooks and the clerks might not have been sent out on patrol or landing in an LZ, there was no guarantee that they wouldn't be exchanging fire with the enemy some day on the way to the latrine.

Michael

You are right (once again). In Vietnam "frontline" and "rear" were metaphorical rather than geographical descriptions. What the cooking instructor actually told me was that the base had three rings of pickets and the cooks picketed in the third ring (which I believe was inside the base). Theoretically the cooks were never supposed to go anywhere near the enemy.

CORRECTION: I have to say that it was the original 3D miniatures game—which it more closely resembles—for computers.

Michael

I figured I'd same myself some time and I just cut and pasted:

After some research into the matter at hand, I discovered Mr. Emrys is absolutely correct.

Ah, yeah, you're absolutely right.

...Michael's assessment is quite right.

And after some thought, I decided that Emrys is absolutely correct.

...you´re - once again - absolutely correct...

;)

1531 hrs

Tube Guy puts some distance between himself and the Pioneers by the wall.

17-1%20small.jpg

Full size

The Pioneer squad successfully blows a whole through the wall into the building in a Villa complex. I doubt anyone inside saw this coming.

17-2%20small.jpg

Full size

As the squad enters the building there is bedlam. A least 2 German units are in there in room. One man escapes, 3 other Germans become casualties and one drops his weapon. Gunfire erupts from a adjacent building and I lose one of the Pioneers.

17-3%20small.jpg

Full size

On the Western edge of the Villa I begin to take MG fire from Hill 144. I had moved one of my Shermans forward and they are in perfect position to deal with the new threat.

17-4%20small.jpg

Full size

This is why having unchecked armor was so critical to me. I never heard from that team again.

17-5%20small.jpg

Full size

I advance troops deeper in to the Villa, easily taking every building on the Western side. Feeling the path is secure I bring a M4A3(75)W to support the attack on the center complex.

17-6%20small.jpg

Full size

It looks like the Sherman is the one who can make short work of the situation there. As it enter it fires at the guys who killed my Pioneer. As they as silenced a MG crew appears in a building connecting the other 2. Two more dead Germans and another throwing up his arms. The center complex is now completely under my control.

17-7%20small.jpg

Full size

17-8%20small.jpg

Full size

The last part of the Villa complex is a patch of heavy woods in the rear. My infantry along with The Miracle Sherman begin searching the area for any threats. The woods are very think and some of my units will devote the remainder of the battle making sure there is no one hiding.

17-9%20small.jpg

Full size

It looks as though the entire Villa has been secured. All Germans have been eliminated. Because of the condition of my infantry on Hills 144 and 154 I plan to have them remain in place….Neither controlling or allowing German control of the hills.

I begin my advance to the rear road victory locations. I have seen Germans running to the rear but, as I said before, I don’t know if they were fleeing or taking up positions to protect the road. Without taking either hill I have to take those 2 locations as insurance to seal the victory.

17-10%20samll.jpg

Full size

Satchel charge breach of walls... Perhaps the one feature I think that will be extremely useful and make for a slough of new tactics in CMN...

I suspect it will be extremely handy when running into a Norman castle garrisoned by snooty, name calling, giggling french knights from the 16th century who wish nothing more than to waff at you from their high up well defended parapets.

Cheers!

Leto

Leto;1228141']Satchel charge breach of walls... Perhaps the one feature I think that will be extremely useful and make for a slough of new tactics in CMN...

I suspect it will be extremely handy when running into a Norman castle garrisoned by snooty, name calling, giggling french knights from the 16th century who wish nothing more than to waff at you from their high up well defended parapets.

Cheers!

Leto

Yes, but having livestock thrown at you is an automatic rout.

Elvis wrote:

This is why having unchecked armor was so critical to me.

This is one of the largest arguments in favor of the American concept of large numbers of good tanks vs. small numbers of awesome tanks (which is what the Germans tried). The quantity allowed the US to appear with armor pretty much any place, any time it wanted AND sustain losses AND still have armor pretty much any place, any time. The Germans never had enough armor to be more than a few places at any given time and then even less after losses.

Steve

Elvis wrote:

This is one of the largest arguments in favor of the American concept of large numbers of good tanks vs. small numbers of awesome tanks (which is what the Germans tried). The quantity allowed the US to appear with armor pretty much any place, any time it wanted AND sustain losses AND still have armor pretty much any place, any time. The Germans never had enough armor to be more than a few places at any given time and then even less after losses.

Steve

Where the Germans really shot themselves in the foot with the inability to say " this is good enough". If all of the effort that had been put into creating the Tiger, King Tiger, and God knows what other engineering fantasies, had been focused on turning out Panthers with working transmissions as fast as humanly possible it would more or less certainly have taken Us and the Russians longer to conquer Western Europe. Of course the Germans seemed to have some sort of deep seated problem standardizing anything at all.

The US came within a whisker of making the mistake the other way. The Sherman was "good enough", but it was just barely good enough. A lot of brave men paid full retail for its inadequacies. The US probably could have iterated one more design cycle before locking down its tank designed for the whole war without reducing its production numbers significantly.

The US came within a whisker of making the mistake the other way. The Sherman was "good enough", but it was just barely good enough. A lot of brave men paid full retail for its inadequacies. The US probably could have iterated one more design cycle before locking down its tank designed for the whole war without reducing its production numbers significantly.

At least unlike the Germans the Americans learned their lesson before the war was over.

At least unlike the Germans the Americans learned their lesson before the war was over.

Well to be fair, the US was allowed to manufacture war materials unmolested for the most part. They did have some problems getting those materials into theater.

The Germans had to endure constant (day and night) harassment of their manufacturing capability as well as harassment transporting them to the front. Had the war in the air been even a stalemate, I'd wager the outcome could have been far different.

Well to be fair, the US was allowed to manufacture war materials unmolested for the most part. They did have some problems getting those materials into theater.

The Germans had to endure constant (day and night) harassment of their manufacturing capability as well as harassment transporting them to the front. Had the war in the air been even a stalemate, I'd wager the outcome could have been far different.

Maybe. Or maybe they would have continued to blow their resources on a veritable carnival of tank types.

The reason for allied air supremacy was the same reason, mass production, driven by a clear strategic intent. The Germans never had a clear strategy so failed to support their effort with a coherent schedule of armaments, or ones that matched their needs, 80cm rail guns anyone! Read any literature on the dire state of German mass-production, without allied interuptions, and see how the endgame was inevitable.

As for the Sherman being inferior, inferior to what and when? By which I mean give me its counterpart, not some over-engineered, rare as hens teeth, uber-cat