CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

This is my first public AAR/DAR, so I hope everyone will bear with me. As of this writing we are about 10 minutes into a 1 hour 20 minute battle. When thinking over how I would present it I decided to not do a turn by turn post but rather post as major parts of the battle come together. Sometimes that may be 3 minutes of battle, sometimes 10 and sometimes 1. An idea I also had is if there is any part of the battle I haven’t shown, that you would like to see, let me know and I’ll try to make it happen.

I am playing JonS. He will be starting his own thread. Neither of us will peek at the others. Mine, of course, will be much more entertaining and engaging so you probably won’t even want to bother with his. The scenario is set on a fantastic map with rolling French country side. JonS designed it and knows every inch of the terrain (yes, I am setting up my excuse in case I lose) but he and I have played parts of this already some from each side. That means I am aware of his forces and know the default set up locations.

Another major point to keep in mind is that the game is still in the beta stage so not graphics are final and some graphics are not complete. You may also notice and odd thing here or there in some screen shots, so please keep in mind this is not the finished game.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

First installment

Second Installment

Third Installment

1430 hrs

1430 hrs II

1436 hrs

1436 hrs II

1436 hrs III

1440 hrs

1440 hrs II

1449 hrs III

1445 hrs

1445 hrs II

1446 hrs

1446 hrs II

1446 hrs III

1446 hrs IV

1450 hrs

1450 hrs II

1502 hrs

1502 hrs Part II

1502 hrs Part III

1508 hrs Part I

1508 hrs Part II

1512 hrs

1512 hrs Part II

1519 hrs

1519 hrs Part II

1524 hrs

1524 hrs Part II

1527 hrs

1527 hrs Part II

1531 hrs

1531 hrs Part II

1533 hrs

1533 hrs Part II

1541 hrs End Game

Heroes (unit achievements)

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bois de Baugin

My mission for this battle is to advance south and secure la Campagne and the surround areas. If possible I am to continue south to secure the roads. La Campagne occupies a key crossroad on the drive to Toruni and Conde.

setup-1-small.jpg

Full size

setup-2-small.jpg

Full size

Tasked to secure this area is 2nd Battalion of the 38th Infantry Regiment. The battalion is reinforced with a couple platoons from the 741st Tank Battalion. On map at the beginning of this battle I have infantry companies F and G along with a heavy weapons company containing 4 towed 57mm AT guns and the battalion HQ Company.

When looking over the map I decided that, instead of attempting to take the villa and then move onto the surrounding areas, I would work on the flanks first holding back my armor and a portion of my infantry until the hills to east and west are secured. Once I control them I set my AT guns up and advance through the center with the fire support from the hills.

The hill to the east on my left flank has plenty of trees on it and large open field running up to the woods edge. My plan is to line 1st and 2nd Platoon F Company along the road and wooden fences below the hill. Once in those positions 1st Platoon will prepare to advance up the hill with support from 2nd platoon. In addition to 2nd Platoon I will call in mortar fire from the on map mortars and position Shermans to provide smoke cover to the right flank of my advancing platoon.

setup-3-small.jpg

Full size

(I’m not the best at using Paint so please be kind) The blue area is where the arty is being called into. The white where I plan to move my Shermans to a position where they can fire smoke. The yellow is the location I plan to move 2nd Plt F Co. and the pink are is where I plan to move 1st Plt F Co to prepare for their advance.

My right flank is a whole different story. On that side there is a small patch of trees on a small hill that I hope will provide an excellent vantage point to call artillery in to both the hill on the west flank and the villa itself. So my plan there is to advance 2nd squad from 2nd platoon of G company to recon the position to see if they encounter any enemy fire and determine if the spot is good for the task.

set-up-2-small.jpg

Full size

With everyone set up and my brilliant and fool proof plan in place it is time to begin!!!

I forgot to mention a point about this thread. As new posts are made Moon will create a link in a table of contents made in my first post. This can get you straight to my Hemingwayesque writing.

How does Jons look? I bet he has better opening screen shots.

How does Jons look? I bet he has better opening screen shots.

Don't worry, so far you are clearly beating him in Paint skills.

And yeah, he's being all german like, precise, business like ..... and generally boring. He has already written essays about his force, force setup, names of all of his soldiers and how many kartoffelen they still have in their ransel. Yawn :P

You don't worry about that stuff, just give us an accurate account of the whoopass you are going to diss out and remember to make some nice low angle shots of fleeing krauts :D

Things begin very well. The first, and most surprising thing, is a German sniper unit exposed on the hill of my main advance. He is just outside of the tree line and in full view of one of my Shermans

2nd-installment-1.jpg

Full size

Well, that is not a good idea for them.

2nd-installment-2.jpg

Full size

No need to worry about them anymore.

On my right flank 2nd squad safely reaches the small hill and determines that the view isn’t as perfect as I had hoped but it is still good enough. I’m going to move a radio up there at once. I am also going to move a MG team to provide cover up there in case things get nasty.

2nd%20installment%203.jpg

Full size

On my left flank everyone is getting into position. There has been very little enemy contact beyond the initial sniper unit when, inexplicably, a previously unseen German squad hidden along the tree line leaves their foxholes are retreat deeper into the woods.

2nd-installment-4.jpg

Full size

It happened so fast no one got a shot off.

The set up for the assault continues.

(I have more to put up but the forum only allows 5 pictures per post...I'll be back shortly with the rest)

On my right flank I am concerned that the squad taking the small hill may have gotten some attention. The last thing I want is for any German artillery to start coming down on that position so I decide to have 2nd squad advance out of the patch of trees as the HQ unit and MG team near the hill. I am hoping if any are seen FOW will confuse him enough where he thinks the squad leaving the trees is all that was there. I’ll hide the HQ and MG when they arrive just to reinforce this. This move leads to my first friendly casualty.

2nd-installment-5.jpg

Full size

On the left flank everyone is in place.

2nd-installment-6.jpg

Full size

Suddenly a German MG team comes to the edge of the woods. It is obvious it did not expect the greeting it got. Or perhaps he has seen my setting up and moving men into position to deal with me.

2nd-installment-7.jpg

Full size

The result….3 dead Germans. This is the last thing they saw. If you are familiar with how CMx2 works, all the brightly lit icons are units that have an LOS to the selected enemy unit.

2nd-installment-8.jpg

Full size

There are a lot of eyes on those and guns on those poor guys. My biggest fear now is that Jon will guess what I have been setting up to do. The Shermans are in place to provide smoke. The first rounds of arty are staring to fall.

It’s time to head out…..

2nd%20installment%209.jpg

Full size

2 questions:

Are you allowed to post screenshots of the unit info (like the one for the knocked out MG42)?. I'm quite curious to see what equipment the soldiers carry and how that looks. Like, more interface stuff would be nice to get the feel of the game :)

Can tanks drive over the wooden fences? I'm not even sure if tanks in CMSF can drive through the low walls.

Die a lot now, Elvis.

Now now, how rude.

Good start mister Elvis, you gave them a bloody nose and they are already running around getting shot. Now keep it up :).

And I agree the game is looking good! Pretty even. Keep up the Nice screenshots!

Have a woodland fetish and was pleased to see some close up action in one.

You drew first blood; but his recon may well be worth the price.

Good concise write up. Liked your idea to push that squad through the objective on the right flank.

Off to see how the Hun see's it now.