CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1533 hrs

As I finish completely wrapping up the main building complex of the Villa my Poineers breach another wall. After this I have no doubt that the Villa is secure.

18-1%20small.jpg

Full size

I order one of the 3 mobile Shermans, along with some infantry, to head West to the exit location at the end of the road.

18-2%20small.jpg

Full size

I also send some men to accompany a Sherman South to the victory location at the end of the road there.

18-3%20small.jpg

Full size

Here is a view from the location where I set up for my initial assault on Hill 154. It seems like a lifetime ago. You can see the surviving units clinging to the edge of the woods. I’m holding onto as much of the victory location as I can.

18-4%20small.jpg

Full size

The trip West is almost completely uneventful. I had no idea what type of resistance I would run into while going to these final objectives. So far it appears he has committed no forces to defending these rear areas. From somewhere a single shot is fired and down goes another soldier. Just when I thought the bloodshed might be over.

18-5%20small.jpg

Full size

Oh Hill 144 I am briefly attacked by 2 Germans. I begin to think that maybe Jon doesn’t have as many men in those woods as I had thought he did. I decide to commit my healthier troops to probe the woods. Maybe I’ll get lucky and meet light resistance and steal the victory location I had previously written off.

Wrong 'em boyo. It turns out to be just another chance to send perfectly healthy men into a meat grinder. I think I lose 8 men. 8 more men joining the choir invisible. Enough. There will be no more advances on either hill.

18-6%20small.jpg

Full size

More infantry and a Sherman heading South to take that victory location. The Sherman patrolling the woods in the Villa spot a kubelwagon and knock it out. That is the last sign on any Germans on the way to the final victory location.

18-7%20small.jpg

Full size

The units moving West arrive. The Sherman exits while the foot soldiers arrive.

18-8%20small.jpg

Full size

To the South the Sherman arrives and begins its exit.

18-9%20small.jpg

Full size

Here is an overhead shot of the final disposition of my troops.

After the initial setback on Hill 154 I have made the greatest comeback since Lazurus.

Pulling victory from the jaws of defeat. If want to make an omelet you’ve got to break some eggs. (I am running out of clichés so I’ll stop)

18-10%20small.jpg

Full size

Personally, I tend more towards Vark's point of view. The only way Germany could have won the war is if they played a perfect game. I.e., they made no mistakes and had Lady Luck on their side at every turn.

It was a fundamental misjudgement by Hitler and his coterie to take on a collection of powers, at least two of which that they would have had trouble defeating one on one, let alone in concert.

Michael

I want to comment on the compass rose in these pics. I find it somewhat confusing, since it is not always aligned with the map. Yes, you do get an arrow telling you what direction the camera is currently pointing, but then the viewer has to perform the mental gymnastics to figure out what the cardinal points on the map are. Is there an option to keep the compass permanently aligned with the map?

Michael

I want to comment on the compass rose in these pics. I find it somewhat confusing, since it is not always aligned with the map. Yes, you do get an arrow telling you what direction the camera is currently pointing, but then the viewer has to perform the mental gymnastics to figure out what the cardinal points on the map are. Is there an option to keep the compass permanently aligned with the map?

Michael

No, there are not an optional different compass alignments.

No, there are not an optional different compass alignments.

Pity. Although I can see how the idea I presented might present problems in any view besides directly overhead. Is is possible to shut it off altogether?

BTW, thanks very much for the presentation and for answering questions. It's been an interesting read.

:)

Michael

Pity. Although I can see how the idea I presented might present problems in any view besides directly overhead. Is is possible to shut it off altogether?

BTW, thanks very much for the presentation and for answering questions. It's been an interesting read.

:)

Michael

I'm not sure how to turn it off. Perhaps someone will make a mod of a blank space up there. I actually like the compass a lot. I had some problems using the CMSF and was really happy when I started to use this one.

Personally, I tend more towards Vark's point of view. The only way Germany could have won the war is if they played a perfect game. I.e., they made no mistakes and had Lady Luck on their side at every turn.

It was a fundamental misjudgement by Hitler and his coterie to take on a collection of powers, at least two of which that they would have had trouble defeating one on one, let alone in concert.

Michael

The thing is of course Hitler didn't have to fight nearly as many people at once as he wound up doing. If Herman Goring wasn't the dumbest, drunkest, and most useless ex-fighter pilot in history the panzers would've rolled right over the Dunkirk beaches and captured the vast majority of the British expeditionary forces.

If they had followed up in the Battle of Britain by not getting distracted with the attempt to burn down downtown London and kept hammering radar installations and airbases they could easily have invaded a vastly more demoralized Britain six months later. With Britain out of the war, the idiotic distractions in North Africa and the Balkans don't happen.

An invasion of Russia that started on time and with Erwin Rommel leading the southern prong could've ended very differently. I will grant you this involves some of the perfect luck and judgment you're talking about, but it's certainly not violating any laws of physics. And yes the US might've been able to nuke the Germans into surrender eventually anyway. But that would've left us with a very different world.

The thing is of course Hitler didn't have to fight nearly as many people at once as he wound up doing. If Herman Goring wasn't the dumbest, drunkest, and most useless ex-fighter pilot in history the panzers would've rolled right over the Dunkirk beaches and captured the vast majority of the British expeditionary forces.

If they had followed up in the Battle of Britain by not getting distracted with the attempt to burn down downtown London and kept hammering radar installations and airbases they could easily have invaded a vastly more demoralized Britain six months later. With Britain out of the war, the idiotic distractions in North Africa and the Balkans don't happen.

An invasion of Russia that started on time and with Erwin Rommel leading the southern prong could've ended very differently. I will grant you this involves some of the perfect luck and judgment you're talking about, but it's certainly not violating any laws of physics. And yes the US might've been able to nuke the Germans into surrender eventually anyway. But that would've left us with a very different world.

I agree with you completely; other than the decision to go to war, the overwhelming number of strategic/operational decisions Hitler made were blessing in disguise for the Allies. The empire of an egomaniac i guess...

No, the RN would have retreated to Scapa Flow and the fighters would have been distributed around the country, only to re-emerge when the invasion started.

Pretty much no invasion left.

Plus the Britain was outproducing Germany on fighters. If they'd kept hammering the airbases we would probably have built a load more of them. Didn't need a lot of support back then - more or less a grassy field.

The invasion was never really on.

No, the RN would have retreated to Scapa Flow and the fighters would have been distributed around the country, only to re-emerge when the invasion started.

Pretty much no invasion left.

Plus the Britain was outproducing Germany on fighters. If they'd kept hammering the airbases we would probably have built a load more of them. Didn't need a lot of support back then - more or less a grassy field.

The invasion was never really on.

But I thought the question was about pilots, not planes; and AFAIK Britain was running low on pilots and were weeks away from being unable to fend off the Luftwaffe. If that is true the surface fleet at Scapa Flow would have great difficulty of running the fighter/bomber gauntlet they would face as them came to interdict a surface invasion fleet.

Perhaps i'm wrong though.