CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right Thomm ... if nothing has changed in the doodad behavior from CMSF to CM:BN that is!

This is from the CMSF forum, but written in a CM:BN thread (before creation of this here fine forum): link to post

Correct... Flavor Objects provide cover but not concealment. There is no support for Flavor Objects larger than a single Action Spot. Of course we could create something like a glider, which crosses over many Action Spots, but it isn't worth the programming time to make it happen. Not with so many other things on people's want lists.

Steve

Hmmm however IMO, in this specific example of haystacks the 'natural' thing would actually be the other way around ... right, I mean at least as depicted in the ongoing CM:BN alpha DAR? Those haystacks look like a man or three can actually hide nicely behind one but they also look loosely bundled so that any bullet would pass right through.

But anyway, the doodad behavior is of course also covering all the smaller stuff like barrels, tombstones etc. and onwards down in size where obtaining concealment is somewhat harder but actually providing decent cover. So I guess that overall doodad behavior of providing some cover but not concealment is okay.

All the best

Why, it's more logical for it to provide concealment only. But I wonder does it block LOS directly, or is it abstacted ?
More logical, yes. However, it would take quite a bit of processing power to correctly model LOS blocking from doodads and it would also require some work to get the tacai to properly use it as concealment. Whereas, with cover the tacai doesn't really have to do anything (you could think of it as abstracted cover) to the point that even if a soldier isn't optimally using the doodad as cover being nearby it may give him some cover from fire.

I understand that a fence or a wall is not a flavoured object but does a fence or a wall provide cover and concealment ?

A provides very good cover and concealment. Especially when hiding behind a wall and the spotter is at the same level.

A fence will provide very little concealment (if any) and gives a little bit of cover against light arms fire. You can see the bullets bounce off of it sometimes.

It's great that troops in woods are so concealed but if I were a tank sent into a forest I'd be making that coax and hull MG work overtime. I take it suppression fire is still stationary directional in CMBN and not mobile and between two points, which, if true, penalises armoured units fighting in this terrain. Combat reports in this theatre regularly mention tanks firing virtually non-stop to spray hedges, trees, buildings etc as a deterent to tank hunting teams. Often HE would follow any suspicious richochets observed, when firing into foliage cover, as it could indicate a gunshield being struck, the thinking being, better waste an HE round on a rock than let a PAK escape.

It's great that troops in woods are so concealed but if I were a tank sent into a forest I'd be making that coax and hull MG work overtime. I take it suppression fire is still stationary directional in CMBN and not mobile and between two points, which, if true, penalises armoured units fighting in this terrain. Combat reports in this theatre regularly mention tanks firing virtually non-stop to spray hedges, trees, buildings etc as a deterent to tank hunting teams. Often HE would follow any suspicious richochets observed, when firing into foliage cover, as it could indicate a gunshield being struck, the thinking being, better waste an HE round on a rock than let a PAK escape.

Yes and lets hope that longer (much longer) bursts come from these tanks that are spraying the opposite side of the hedgerow.

The TacAI will fire at multiple targets. I didn't target anything while trying to escape because I was still holding out hope that even in withdraw I might get an LOS on the foxholes with the gun and hopefully get a shot off. If I had targeted the woods (which hindsight tells me would have been a better move) the TacAI would have changed the target to the gun if it had become exposed but breaking off my target command would have delayed that some and opened my up to possibly getting blowed up by the gun. I guess we see how well that train of thought worked out.

well you can do something similar already. do plenty of waypoints and every waypoint have different area target commands. put delay on waypoints of you want one spot more fired upon the another. Thats how I do in CMSF and works like a charm!

well you can do something similar already. do plenty of waypoints and every waypoint have different area target commands. put delay on waypoints of you want one spot more fired upon the another. Thats how I do in CMSF and works like a charm!

It worked but kinda a PITA ya know?

I never even considered that. What a great idea.

I think you are right Thomm ... if nothing has changed in the doodad behavior from CMSF to CM:BN that is!

This is from the CMSF forum, but written in a CM:BN thread (before creation of this here fine forum): link to post

Thanks for clarifying my previous post! Brain fart :D

Spotting is done from Action Spot to Action Spot based on the configuration of the terrain, elevation, intervening terrain, and some other terrain specific issues. There are no exceptions for little bits of terrain within the Action Spot, such as a Haystack. This is why we can't make the Flavor Objects too big. If we did then it would, basically, rival the base terrain in terms of its concealment properties. Theoretically this could be done, but the computational overhead would largely negate the processing friendly Action Spot system.

But since we already simulate Cover within an Action Spot, having a Flavor Object offer a variable amount of Cover is not a problem. The system is already taking "micro terrain" into account, such as individual trees, small folds in the ground, etc.

Steve

1512 hrs

With the loss of my Sherman on Hill 154 I have lost one of the most important elements of my advance up the hill. Having a Sherman on that hill gives me a big advantage. Together with the Sherman on Hill 144 most of the village can be covered with 75mm HE. If I stay away from the woods edge I feel confident that it is safe to keep a tank up there. With that in mind I commit one of my 3 reserve Shermans to get up on the hill as fast as possible. The rag tag infantry along the treeline of 154 can provide security for the portion of the hill it will be traveling past. As expected, I safely and quickly have an M4 back on Hill 154.

13-1%20small.jpg

Full size

On Hill 144 I am being subject to constant hit and run missions by German infantry. They appear, fire off some shots and either disappear or die. It is like death by a thousand paper cuts. Never a major blow but enough to send men to ground and make my organization of troops on the hill difficult.

13-2%20small.jpg

Full size

Men continue to arrive at the foot of Hill 144. This is shaping up to be the core of my attack on the Villa.

13-3%20small.jpg

Full size

In the center area of operations advancing is very slow. Most of the units I am advancing with are the remnants of 3rd Plt/F Co. They are in pretty bad shape and have been harassed by machine gun fire causing them to constantly go to ground. I haven’t been able to get a read of exactly where the MG fire is coming from.

13-4%20small.jpg

Full size

Back on Hill 154 more hit and run actions. The men are in such bad shape they throw their arms up rather than fight it out.

13-5%20small.jpg

Full Size