CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jup, greatly enjoying/enjoyed this DAR. Great action, screenshots and most important of all, the fascinating Discovery of tube Guy.

And modest request, could we keep the demons of hindsight, what if, and 'germany lost the war because they didn't paint their tanks pink' to a minimum here?

1541 hrs End game

Well, here you have it. At first I was surprised by the score because I had assumed that I had the game completely sealed up. Taking the very valuable Villa and both exit locations would allow a clear passage for all troops following this battle. You can see in this screen shot that we both took heavy casualties. I had 59% casualty rate and Jon had 62%. That should give you a pretty good idea of how beat up we were by the time the battle was over. Also, take a peek at the MIA men. 3 per side. While playing it probably seemed like I has a lot more than 3 men completely surrendered but I did manage to prevent most of them from dropping their guns. Two of the three men surrendered along the cart path and the third was from a tank crew on Hill 154. All surrendering men on Hill 144 were rescued.

overall-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

All of my major objectives were taken (although there was a glitch that we are aware of that didn’t award me the 150 points for the rear exit zones).

us-locations-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

But, here is where the meat of the true strategic value of the battlefield can be seen. It was critical that the Germans hold the high ground. This would make any advances of follow through forces very difficult and would really need for there to be a whole new fight for the hills

german-locations-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

Here you can see that I inflicted acceptable damage to key German forces but not enough to really boost the point total.

us-units-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

Jon on the other hand was much more successful in eliminating the key forces. I should probably go back and check but I think some of the units he got points for here were in my final probing on Hill 144. If I hadn’t made that move perhaps it would have a nicked a few points off his score. I haven’t had the heart to go back and double check it.

german-units-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

Jon played a fantastic game. He set up a defense with depth and flexibility. Without his quick action to intercept my forces on Hill 154 this may have gone very differently. On both major hills he constantly harassed my men resulting in poor morale of the in game soldiers and fear of a larger force on my part.

Great game, Jon. Well played. Thank you!

So do men still rout or has that gone?

I believe it's gone and been replaced by surrendering units, don't quote me on that though. I haven't seen it in a long time. Either way, in this case the 3 represent the surrendered units. I'll double check the routing for you.

Und wir sind dann Helden. Für einen tag

Unlike Jon I did not have too many obvious heroes. Most units with kills had 1 or 2 but they added up.

One of my heroes was the Sherman that exited and I didn't know until seeing Jons comments that I could still pull him up before making these screen shots. I'll see if I can find him later because I believe he'll have a pretty good kill stats.

But my friend on Hill 144 did pretty well for himself with 24 causalities under his belt.

end-1%20small.jpg

Full size

My little miracle tank that remanned itself did OK

end-2%20small.jpg

Full size

Even my knocked out guys did some damage before their ill fated endings.

end-3%20small.jpg

Full size

(It's nice to see the dead sniper team from turn 1 again in this shot)

end-4%20small.jpg

Full size

I couldn't end this without checking in with our new friend. How did our boy Tube Guy make out?

end-5%20small.jpg

Full size