CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

I can’t help myself and my obsession with the AT gun, it is the one remaining thing that is preventing me from overrunning the Villa. I have to test the waters. I promise myself I will be mindful of potential danger in the woods. I still can’t an LOS to the foxholes and gun because of the wheat field.

13-6%20small.jpg

Full size

Covering the advance on Hill 144 I am able to get more help from the wall of death area. They’ve got a nice look at the buildings where I sighted the MGs. Which, I have forgotten to mention, have not made much noise since my initial pounding of the buildings they had set up in.

13-7%20small.jpg

Full size

I finally get a brief glimpse of the MG that has been harassing my advance toward the barn. The foxhole containing the MG42 can be seen in the front middle edge of the hill in the background. No one in this group is able to get a decent shot at it as they are either cowering of have moved out of LOS of the foxholes.

This picture is a good one because it shows most of the victory locations that are in the Villa. There are a total of 4. Each worth 75 points.

13-8%20small.jpg

Full size

This is a period of struggle. I moving forward in feet and inches rather than years. The going is slow.

At 1517hrs I took this shot to show what I am dealing with on Hill 154. You can see the infantry I have along the edge and the gun has just reappeared in someone’s LOS. It’s a nice picture because it gives you a great view of how thick the woods are on Hill 154. Deadly. I have decided to not try to take the woods. I will do my best to hang onto the ground I have but I will commit nothing to trying to take Hill 154.

13-9%20small.jpg

Full size

This screen shot is perhaps the most important one of the game for me. As you read my next few AAR postings you will need to keep in mind that when I played this turn of the game I did not see what is in this screen shot. Decisions were made with no knowledge that this had happened. When I finally found this moment I saw that it occurred in the last second of the turn. Had I seen this when it happened my choices would have been very different.

13-10%20small.jpg

Full size

The last major AT asset is knocked out and I have no idea………………..

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two platoons on the edge?. Where are their HQs?

Two platoons would be generous. No, there isn't close to anything like that. There are 2 or 3 units that are to the left that didn't fit in that screen shot. But even with those there are no HQs. What I have there are a few seriously damaged squads from the initial two platoons...at most 3 or 4 men left per squad...., depleted tank crews and probably some ammo carriers. If I get a chance I'll go back and take proper inventory but the bottom line is that that area has only the weakest of assets.

Thats why I play WEGO...so I can replay the turn and get a full overview of whats happened in it from all parts of the Battlefield...then I know I haven't missed anything.

Well, with PBEM it is only WeGo. I just flat out missed it somehow. I debated mentioning that I missed it until the point in the game when I realized it but when taking screen shots for this post I saw it for the first time and decided it would be fun to point it out sooner rather than later. Anyone who reads Stephen King may find it to be a familiar literary device.

Can tanks go through those wooden fences?

Yes. And they knock them down. For whatever reason the fence was my "stop" point when I moved to that spot. Not because it afforded cover or anything other than I didn't want to pass that point for fear of getting knocked out again.

With that in mind I commit one of my 3 reserve Shermans to get up on the hill as fast as possible.

One thing I learned from playing CMx1 was that employing tanks singly was almost always an exercise in futility and a waste of purchasing points. A minimum of two and better three together was a much better arrangement. That way, if one of them gets hit, there is at least one left to return fire and hopefully eliminate the threat before it too gets hit. Sending them in one at a time means that the threat remains healthy and kills each tank as it appears. Defeat in detail, baby. You're lucky that you got away with it this time.

Michael

One thing I learned from playing CMx1 was that employing tanks singly was almost always an exercise in futility and a waste of purchasing points. A minimum of two and better three together was a much better arrangement. That way, if one of them gets hit, there is at least one left to return fire and hopefully eliminate the threat before it too gets hit. Sending them in one at a time means that the threat remains healthy and kills each tank as it appears. Defeat in detail, baby. You're lucky that you got away with it this time.

Michael

I'll second that! Lessons learned the hard way. Not to mention it doesn't help that he's buttoned up...no doubt scared from possible small arms fire from the hill.

PaulMG does have a point. Because each vehicle has to spot targets on its own, it's entirely possible for an ATG or Schreck team to take out a second tank before the tanks fire back.

Having said that, sending one tank into a hot spot might mean losing the tank and not knowing what killed it either. "Dead men tell no tales"

Steve

This screen shot is perhaps the most important one of the game for me. As you read my next few AAR postings you will need to keep in mind that when I played this turn of the game I did not see what is in this screen shot. Decisions were made with no knowledge that this had happened. When I finally found this moment I saw that it occurred in the last second of the turn. Had I seen this when it happened my choices would have been very different.

13-10%20small.jpg

Full size

The last major AT asset is knocked out and I have no idea………………..

Now, that must be frustrating.

I bet that was suggested already, but the game could list important events for the player. Like in TOW you get notice when you take casualties and have vehicles damaged or destroyed. (You can even set autopause and autocenter for such circumstances, although i think its not so important as listing it self.) And as for this situation maybe list of confirmed kills and spotted targets. It may raise situational awareness for the player and prevent such frustrating things.

He is playing WEGO, it's not like he's got a choice in the matter given he needs to make screenies, etc. Still some people play WEGO and watch the replay once or twice, other watch it dozens of times in an attempt to glean any advantage they can. I guess Elvis falls into group #1...

He is playing WEGO, but it's still quite possible to miss things when a lot is going on. I'm not sure that it'd be worth it having the game notifying the player about things - how would the game tell what was important to the player?

Just to clarify - importance is not an absolute, in some situations the battle might hinge on a tiny and seemingly insignificant event. The computer wouldn't know if it was important - the player might not even know if it was important!