CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

Elvis, thanks for all your efforts, I now have a much better understanding of the game mechanics. Just one niggle, I like an uncluttered map so do you have to have the icons, or are they vital for the new spotting system?

Here is a good summary of Cox's book, which is based on the 1974 Sandhurst wargame, simulating operation Sea lion (scroll down a little over halfway). There was a better page but cannot find it.

http://warandgame.com/2010/01/

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I thought the question was about pilots, not planes; and AFAIK Britain was running low on pilots...

But you see the Luftwaffe was losing pilots at twice the rate the RAF was. It could not have maintained the same tempo of operations any longer. That was the critical reason why they switched to night operations.

Michael

Just one niggle, I like an uncluttered map so do you have to have the icons, or are they vital for the new spotting system?

In theory you can play without the icons, but you will miss a lot of sightings on the map during the replay - how will you notice that little figure in the bushes that was spotted by one of your soldiers.

And selecting units becomes hard, especially when they are inside a vehicle.

I have tried in Shock Force, but only for a very short time.

Do we get to see the new unit kill stats? :)

Also, may just be me but does the amount of surrendering american troops seem to be quite high? By the looks of it they weren't cut off and were on the attack, seems like they should have run away rather than surrendered

Yes, I do have some kill stat screen shots on the way.

The condition of the units has a lot to do with the surrendering. The only ones that really surprised me were the ones on Hill 144. Then I went and looked at their condition and they were a mess. If I remember correctly they had only lost 1 man but their physical condition was exhausted, they were out of C2 and their morale was paniced. That is a recipe for arms up when a unit finds itself point blank with the enemy. When I post the final AAR screen you may be surprised at the number of men who actually did surrender.

The thing is of course Hitler didn't have to fight nearly as many people at once as he wound up doing. If Herman Goring wasn't the dumbest, drunkest, and most useless ex-fighter pilot in history the panzers would've rolled right over the Dunkirk beaches and captured the vast majority of the British expeditionary forces.

If they had followed up in the Battle of Britain by not getting distracted with the attempt to burn down downtown London and kept hammering radar installations and airbases they could easily have invaded a vastly more demoralized Britain six months later. With Britain out of the war, the idiotic distractions in North Africa and the Balkans don't happen.

An invasion of Russia that started on time and with Erwin Rommel leading the southern prong could've ended very differently. I will grant you this involves some of the perfect luck and judgment you're talking about, but it's certainly not violating any laws of physics. And yes the US might've been able to nuke the Germans into surrender eventually anyway. But that would've left us with a very different world.

I have often had arguments with a chap at work over the turning point in WWII. His view is that Stalingrad was the turning point. My view is that it was the Battle of Britain.

I had forgotten about the Dunkirk debacle and Goering's stupid boast that he could destroy the British Expeditionary Force with his airforce alone. And of course Stanlingrad would not have been the disaster it was without Goering's assurance that he could supply the entire 6th Army by air (do they not teach elementary mathematics in Germany?).

I have revised my position. I am now of the view that the turning point in WWII came in 1922 when Goering first met Hitler and joined the Nazi party.

User38, surely the turning point was when a psychological inadequate decided he had the ability to lead.

Yeah, I was going to say that it was at whatever point, probably during the fighting in the trenches on the Western Front, that Hitler decided that war was the answer to all of life's problems.

Michael