New module - Combat Mission:Afghanistan?!

The video show's a full on BMP assault, but what would they be assaulting? They are going through an artillery barrage or something? Was it made more for promotional purposes rather than a depiction of a particular battle?

I wouldn't read too much into a promotional video. It's there to look cool and not much more (and it sure did succeed at that!)

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am excited about being able to play Soviet Forces from the height of their power.

But to be quite honest the opponent here is even less capable, and by a wide margin so, than the Syrians in CM:SF. I don't think that the finer points of modeling infantry in CM:<modern> are well enough developed to tackle Soviet mech formations with Mujaheddin. If I didn't miss anything this game also will not see the foxholes with fog of war that we hopefully get in CM:<ww2> (and obviously neither are trenches subject to FoW).

I wonder what the prospect of gaming options is with this title.

Red on Red (or is that now Blue on Blue?) might be very interesting here, as in simulating some internal Soviet conflict. But that would at least require that you can load different uniform and vehicle skins for the same units for different sides, which to my knowledge hasn't been implemented either. If it was then a conflict of Soviets versus India or China would be within modeling range of this title.

I think in a on-sentence summary I can sum it up as: the limitations of the infantry model in pre-Normandy CMx2 don't seem to mix with a game that only has infantry on one side.

I think the main interest would be replaying and learning the history of that war. The game will hopefully reflect real battles that really happened. You'd be able to see what the russians were up against, what the Mujahedins were up against and how it all went. That's the difference between it and CMSF that tries to replicate a would-be war that may or may not play out as we think.

• 2 weeks later...
A few of the beta testers have let it be known how wonderful a ZSU-23 would be to be included in CMSF. :D

If they did this, wouldn't they have to add in a whole AA element into the NATO module that they wouldn't need to do for Afganistan? Maybe they'll have the work done already for Normandy, but it seems to make it less likely for the NATO module to me.

Redwolf,

It depends. If you're interested in the game's topic, I think that is all the appeal that is needed. If you're not, then as a player you're going to be far more "picky" about what the game offers. Which is natural and not at all unexpected.

As stated earlier, this is a game made by Russians for the Russian market. If it has appeal to customers outside of the Russian market, great. If it doesn't, we're fine with that too since it wasn't intended to have broad appeal. Our relationship with the developer is based on these principles too, so they're OK with it as well. [edit... dang, typo. Corrected an "isn't" that should have been an "is"]

Expect more niche within niche games from the CMx2 engine made by people you've probably never heard of. It is a key part of our strategy of providing wargamers with a wide array of gaming options to choose from. Gone are the days when it's just one Combat Mission every couple of years and it's always the same general game. The next few years should be quite interesting for tactical wargaming!

Steve

An unexpected bonus to be sure. Bravo!

Redwolf,

It depends. If you're interested in the game's topic, I think that is all the appeal that is needed. If you're not, then as a player you're going to be far more "picky" about what the game offers. Which is natural and not at all unexpected.

As stated earlier, this is a game made by Russians for the Russian market. If it has appeal to customers outside of the Russian market, great. If it doesn't, we're fine with that too since it wasn't intended to have broad appeal. Our relationship with the developer is based on these principles too, so they're OK with it as well. [edit... dang, typo. Corrected an "isn't" that should have been an "is"]

Expect more niche within niche games from the CMx2 engine made by people you've probably never heard of. It is a key part of our strategy of providing wargamers with a wide array of gaming options to choose from. Gone are the days when it's just one Combat Mission every couple of years and it's always the same general game. The next few years should be quite interesting for tactical wargaming!

Steve

That's very good news !

And yes, CM : A is interesting people outside Russia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... don't believe everything you read :( Stingers aren't going to happen. Sometimes reviewers add their own list of things (we had one say US Army IBCT has LAV IIIs ;)), other times there is some miscommunication with the developer. All I can say is we still haven't coded air to ground combat.

Also, that is an old release date. It shouldn't be much later than Sept 18.

Steve