New module - Combat Mission:Afghanistan?!

Afghanistan is a "stand alone" game with no plans for expansion. Remember that a Module is something that builds directly onto the primary game. So going from 1970s/80s Afghanistan to 1990s/2000s Chechnya fails that test.

Some games that we plan on releasing will be like Afghanistan in that they have no expansions. The reason for that is the game subject can be comfortably covered with one release. Or put another way, there isn't enough content to make multiple releases necessary or marketable. Contrast Afghanistan's development needs with something like Normandy and you can probably see what I mean.

And yes, ZSU-23 :)

Steve

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I wonder about, if this is a 'cooperative' venture what will the result be for the future CMSF in Europe title?. Are we now looking at a combination of CN:Normandy game engine & terrain, CMSF Blue forces, and CM:Afghanistan Russian forces? Or does the Afghanistan title stay an entirely separate entity? Hmmm...

I'm pleased to hear that news. The most important part of it for me is that BFC 'licenses' the game engine to third parties for complete new theatres. This means more CMx2 games that I've expected to see! Okay, the term 'license' may not be fully correct, but I guess you get what I mean. ;)

Steve, a questions. I do understand that units are hardcoded within the main program (or something like that), with all consequences. But how about the pure maps, talking especially about maps for QBs? Needless to say that desert maps won't be compatible with the Normandy game, but Afghanistan terrain ain't to different from Syria. Should it be possible to use CMSF maps in CM:Af? Or if there's no native support, is it imaginable to get a map converter?

Another question, will there be water and/or bridges in CM:Af? :D

CM: Afghanistan is a separate game completely. The intention for CM:SF 2 is to combine top-of-the line Blue and Red forces in a temperate setting using CM: Normandy as the base game.

The map format should be seen as Family specific. Meaning, what works for CM:SF 1 won't work with CM:SF 2, what works for Afghanistan won't work for CM:SF 1. None of these things will work for CM: Normandy and CM: Normandy won't work for Bulge, etc., etc. The reason for that is we are likely to add bits of terrain, or entirely new map concepts, which break the map format. Afghanistan is pretty close to CM:SF 1's format, but it has new terrain in it and that means trying to load it into CM:SF 1 will result in a crash if any of that new stuff is present. The reason for that is CM:SF 1 has no idea how to handle things it wasn't programed to understand.

Oh, and no water or bridges in Afghanistan. We've only got the basic elements of that working right now and haven't yet begun to test the PathingAI, which no doubt has bugs in it since, well, it's untested. Charles writes excellent code on his first pass, but he isn't perfect :D

Steve

I understand, but let me ask a stupid question. Is it to difficult to code the editor to simply delete things he doesn't know (buildings, flavor objects etc.) and/or replace unknown ground tiles with a standart 'open ground' tile?

If BFC isn't up for it, is it in theory imaginable that a third party could program such a converter? Depending on the format/coding of maps, it could be an interesting project... Of course I have no idea how maps are coded, but if they would be for example in some kind of sequential format (meaning basically tile by tile is loaded), it should be as easy as to replace an A with a X.

From my narrow point of view, converting of maps wouldn't hurt somebody, especially not future sales of whatever CMx2 game ;).

Charles writes excellent code on his first pass, but he isn't perfect :D

Steve

How about a screenshot of this? Oh thats right, in RL they're called pics. :D

Seriously though and I know it's way too early, but would these Russian fellas be tapped for the Eastern Front family of games?

Battlefront will release an English version. I'm not sure if the timing of the release will be exactly the same as the Russian version, but it should be close to it. We only have to translate the scenario briefings and the manual sections specific to the Afghanistan theater. Not a small amount of work, of course, but considering how much work has gone into the game itself... it's pretty small potatoes :D

As stated, this is a stand-alone game. There is no relationship to CM:SF other than *nearly* the same game engine being used for both. Which of course means you can't do things like have current British forces fighting 1970s/80s Soviet or Afghan forces, no more than you'll be able to put Shermans against T-72s once the Normandy game comes out.

Thanks!

Steve

this is very exciting news Steve. I am ready to purchase the module when it come out. I love the SQB title soviet afghan war. I always hoped someone would create that came on the Shock Force engine.

Will there be a 'Rambo III' module?

Best regards,

Thomm

They'll only have to code one unit for blue! Just a few new weapons: basically just create the model for a bow and arrow and use the rpg projectile with the old javelin nukes as arrowheads. I guess an m60 fired from one hand as well would be a must, so a few new animations too. :D

Just wanted to congratulate BF for achieving this. The ability to shop out development, not only of a module, but of an entire game, cannot be overstated. With all the doubt that some people were casting at the whole concept of modules and code modularity, etc., Steve et all must be feeling quite rightfully vindicated. Assuming all of this comes to fruition on time, we will be in a situation where by the end of the year, less than 2.5 years after CMSF was first released, there will be three games (CM:SF, CM:A and CM:N), with at least two modules (Marines, Brits) released (possibly 3 if NATO comes in too). A fantastic achievement no doubt.

Cheers

Yair Iny,

With all the doubt that some people were casting at the whole concept of modules and code modularity, etc., Steve et all must be feeling quite rightfully vindicated.

heh... except we always felt rightfully vindicated because we knew all along this would happen ;) A good plan is often one that takes time to bear fruit. Doomsayers, of course, are too impatient to pronounce doom (probably because that's all they know how to do) and therefore they don't wait to see if there is reason to yell about the sky falling. You'd think there would be crow on the menu for these guys, but in my experience humility isn't a familiar concept. So they'll just go on and on about something else and pretend that (yet again) they have proven themselves clueless. Which is fine... it's what they do and at least they can rightfully claim to be good at something :)

Yup, things are going quite well for CMx2. We haven't quite started to hit our stride with it yet, but the time for that is coming soon. It's all part of our plan and, as I said above, good plans shouldn't be rushed.

Steve

Question on the new on-map mortars - are they just for the brits or will the red troops and other NATO troops get them as well?

Just for the Brits. It's a 51mm mortar, way smaller and more of an indirect-fire grenade launcher than a real mortar. (Think Japanese knee mortars from WWII (which, I know, are improperly nicknamed)).

Hi,

From Steve...

"We've said all along that CMx2 was designed for parallel and outside development. We weren't joking"

That is news to me and great news… why… because it means we will see even more CMX2 titles over coming years…

Could not be better… !

All the best,

Kip.

PS. I for sure will buy the Afghan version... :)