New module - Combat Mission:Afghanistan?!

But... it was syrian infantry dismounting? nothing unusal in that video exept that the casualtys icon was in a white circle...

I mean, it's heavily based on CM:SF . . . did you expect it to be dramatically different?

I for one noticed that there at least seem to be a bunch of new textures; I liked that a lot.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But... it was syrian infantry dismounting? nothing unusal in that video exept that the casualtys icon was in a white circle...

Steve said that they do have their own models/textures, they just weren't being used in that video I guess.

Yes, the video is based on old graphics. That should be fixed within the next day or two. The problem was a glitch in how they exported models and how CM read them. The models came out looking fantastic... but with random textures, which didn't look so good :D

We are playing a bit of catchup here on the PR materials because the article that started this thread was not supposed to be released yet. Obviously we weren't quite ready for such an announcement!

Steve

I was just wondering, would BFC ever consider taking units from a 3rd party CM game, and adding them into one of BFC's CM games?

For example, if a company were to make a WW2 game and they included a French TO&E. Could it then be added into CM:N or one of its modules?

Oh, and a ZSU-23 would be a super awesome surprise for the NATO module. :D

Yes, the video is based on old graphics. That should be fixed within the next day or two. The problem was a glitch in how they exported models and how CM read them. The models came out looking fantastic... but with random textures, which didn't look so good :D

We are playing a bit of catchup here on the PR materials because the article that started this thread was not supposed to be released yet. Obviously we weren't quite ready for such an announcement!

Steve

I cant wait to see more screenshot or another video with the new textures. again, where can i prepay for this title.

BFC can you please outsource a CM:Vietnam title.

There should be a demo, though I don't know what its status is. I'll find out.

Wengart,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If the units are in a 3rd party CM game then they would be available to you in their correct environment. We're not going to have something like 3rd Party XYZ working on WW2 Normandy *and* Battlefront working on a different game covering WW2 Normandy. Therefore, there would be nothing to add from one to the other besides whatever common resources are already shared between the two.

As for things like Vietnam, Korean War, Yom Kippur, Winter War, etc... we're theoretically interested in anything provided we have confidence in the developer and financial success.

The last thing we want to have happen is a bunch of people put in a lot of time and money on something which can't return that investment. It's not just a business thing, it's an ethical one as well. Yeah, we're some of those looney Capitalists that believe that corporations have moral and ethical responsibilities which override monetary gain. Plus, it's bad business anyway. Working with partners requires a lot of time/energy to get things rolling, so getting a few bucks off of a developer and have them go under is a bad idea. Better to not do the product at all. Plus, we like to sleep with clear consciences :)

Steve

I guess my question was rather badly phrased.

Will we ever see stuff: textures, buildings, guns, tanks, animations, whatever. developed by a 3rd party added into one of Battlefront's CM games.

So a company makes a Winter War game, and it has Russian units that don't appear in Battlefronts Eastern Front CM game. Would it then be possible for those new units to be added into Battlefront's game?

As for things like Vietnam, Korean War, Yom Kippur, Winter War, etc... we're theoretically interested in anything provided we have confidence in the developer and financial success.

Steve

Presumably, how well this game does outside of Russia (other than sales to Nutty Wargamers like us ;) ) will strongly influence the possibility of other games. If a game about a guerilla war in Asia with no U.S. troops in it does reasonably well in the U.S....then another game about a guerilla war in Asia that does have U.S. troops in it is almost a sure thing...:)

Presumably, how well this game does outside of Russia (other than sales to Nutty Wargamers like us ;) ) will strongly influence the possibility of other games. If a game about a guerilla war in Asia with no U.S. troops in it does reasonably well in the U.S....then another game about a guerilla war in Asia that does have U.S. troops in it is almost a sure thing...:)
I wonder in which part of the world are wargamer communities that are strong enough to justify the development of new '(niche) games'? Northern America is for sure the biggest market, Russia seems to be an ascender at the moment. The interest in Western Europe appears to me very different from country to country, but may generate enough sales if all is put together. Middle & Far East (except ANZAC countries), Africa and Southern America are blank areas on the map. Beside that, there were very few conflicts in the 20th/21st century that's worth a game, except the Commonwealth, the USA or USSR (and it's successors) took part. There were countless guerrilla wars all over the world surely, but honestly it's nearly always the same story with very similiar equipment. Israel is the only country that comes to my mind that doesn't fall into this categories.

I am excited about being able to play Soviet Forces from the height of their power.

But to be quite honest the opponent here is even less capable, and by a wide margin so, than the Syrians in CM:SF. I don't think that the finer points of modeling infantry in CM:<modern> are well enough developed to tackle Soviet mech formations with Mujaheddin. If I didn't miss anything this game also will not see the foxholes with fog of war that we hopefully get in CM:<ww2> (and obviously neither are trenches subject to FoW).

I wonder what the prospect of gaming options is with this title.

Red on Red (or is that now Blue on Blue?) might be very interesting here, as in simulating some internal Soviet conflict. But that would at least require that you can load different uniform and vehicle skins for the same units for different sides, which to my knowledge hasn't been implemented either. If it was then a conflict of Soviets versus India or China would be within modeling range of this title.

I think in a on-sentence summary I can sum it up as: the limitations of the infantry model in pre-Normandy CMx2 don't seem to mix with a game that only has infantry on one side.

Good point, Redwolf.

I went over the Wikipedia articles regarding the Soviet war in Afghanistan and did not really came up with a lot of information that would suggest exciting combined arms battles. The video does not really do much for a seasoned CM:SF player, either.

Alas, Russians simply may be more interested in the theatre than others. As long as BFC makes some pocket money, it is fine with me!

Best regards,

Thomm

I've got to think that a Korean war ... I'll call it a Gamette .... for the 1950s would be relatively simple to make after the Bagration title comes out. Most, if not all, of the equipment used by both sides was used in WW2 and the American and British TO&Es would be made already. The North Korean equipment would already be made in the Bagration title. The ROK, NK, and Chinese uniforms and TO&Es would need to be made. You would need to make buildings suitable for Korea and a few planty type things. It seems like half the work would already be completed by previous titles and modules though.

That's the inherent problem with a lot of these "rarely-themed" wargames out on the market. They state what they're TRYING to simulate, but they can't really give you the flavor of what makes one conflict essentially different from another. What makes the PTO different from the ETO in WWII? Well, lots of things, actually. But if you can't get those elements into your Pacific Theater game, all you're really doing is pushing some different 3D models and textures around on a map that looks different.

So often, if that's good enough for the player, that's touch luck.

Off topic:

Red on Red (or is that now Blue on Blue?) ...

Some dimly recalled memory is telling me that the Russians/Soviets started using blue for enemy and orange/red for friendly at about the time that NATO(? or at least Western Militaries) started using Blue for Good Guys and Red for Baddies.

Redwolf,

I wonder what the prospect of gaming options is with this title.

It depends. If you're interested in the game's topic, I think that is all the appeal that is needed. If you're not, then as a player you're going to be far more "picky" about what the game offers. Which is natural and not at all unexpected.

As stated earlier, this is a game made by Russians for the Russian market. If it has appeal to customers outside of the Russian market, great. If it doesn't, we're fine with that too since it wasn't intended to have broad appeal. Our relationship with the developer is based on these principles too, so they're OK with it as well. [edit... dang, typo. Corrected an "isn't" that should have been an "is"]

Expect more niche within niche games from the CMx2 engine made by people you've probably never heard of. It is a key part of our strategy of providing wargamers with a wide array of gaming options to choose from. Gone are the days when it's just one Combat Mission every couple of years and it's always the same general game. The next few years should be quite interesting for tactical wargaming!

Steve

There's a lot of posters who seem to like the concept of a U.S./Brits-in-Afghanistan campaign or series of scenarios. It could be argued the primary 'tactical' difference between that and a 79-89 Russian title is the camou pattern on the uniform.

Red on Red (or is that now Blue on Blue?) might be very interesting here, as in simulating some internal Soviet conflict.

Yes, if I buy this then Red on Red PBEM battles would be the main reason, since I don't have time to play the AI much.

The video show's a full on BMP assault, but what would they be assaulting? They are going through an artillery barrage or something? Was it made more for promotional purposes rather than a depiction of a particular battle?

I'm also curious to know what equipment the Afghans are given. I would think that the stuff they have in the early stages war would be soviet built , and in the later campaign (AFAIR) the bulk of US supplied arms were Soviet or Chinese made as well (an obvious exception would be stinger missiles).

Wikipedia mentions that China sold them Type-59 tanks (Chinese T54), but I can't think they would be used to counter vastly superior soviet equipment in pitched battles.