New module - Combat Mission:Afghanistan?!

A bit not in a theme, but here another deserving game from this publisher, in Russia went out already.

What's interesting is this--the Russian version of Combat Mission is translated to something along the lines of "Front Line" instead of "Combat Mission", according to the picture of the CMSF:M cover art in Cyrillic on page 9 of this same thread. This game that you mention here in the link does not look like it runs on the same engine (any of the CM engines, anyway) but it carries the same "Front Line" title that the RU version of CM has. It's called, "Front Line: Battle for Kharkov"...

probably irrelevant but...

???

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have the right to do so, apparently, by the publishing contract with BFC. Or sumfink.

They have decided to create their own trade mark in Russia under which the CM games were distributed, so it's their right to use that trademark as they please. Had they called that other game "Combat Mission", a trademark we own, it would have been problematic, but as it is, it's within the legal lines, albeit somewhat deceptive towards their customers, since we have nothing to do with that other game (and in fact passed on publishing it internationally for a number of reasons)

Martin

I want to ask, why Battlefront does not watch for product support by the publisher?

In Russia we don't receive patches in due time, but only current patch together with new published product of CM series. It's mean that if I want to play with new patch I mast wait a new published game and pay money for it, I think it's not right, but maybe I don't want this next game.

For example we don't have not 1.11 not 1.20 patch for CM game. And maybe we will see it with British or Afgan module, and MAYBE not.

Patches from BFC not useful for russian version of the game.

My guess is BFC lacks sufficient leverage to make them behave. If they aren't keeping up with BFC patches what can BFC do about it, beside a harshly worded email? I don't know how patient or impatient BFC was with Parsoft waiting to get the latest v1.20 patch up on their site. I know the players were pretty impatient.

Alex, sorry to hear that. Patching is the responsibility of the local distributor. Even if we wanted to take this responsibility in-house we can't, because we have no access to the copy protection and other production tools that the distributor is using locally to produce your game. And we need that in order to create a patch that is compatible with what you bought.

So the only thing we can do is pass the required patch files to the distributor and ask them to release the patch. Many of our local distributors and co-publishers comply, but some do not, and our means to pressure them are - despite best efforts and without going into the legal details here - somewhat limited, unfortunately :(

British Forces should update your game once it comes out in Russia (it hasn't shipped yet?) but it's certainly not our intention to force you to buy the new module to update. We'll talk to Snowball about it.

Martin

2 Chainsaw

I was talked about "Afghanistan module"

That about CMSF - yes I can buy it from BF, but I already pay for 2 snowball disks (2 modules) this CM, certainly 1 disk with game in Russia coast about 12$, not 25$ but it's too not so little money, and now I don't wont pay one more time.

But unfortunately British module we also will see not soon (in Russia).

• 4 weeks later...

News from the Moon in another thread:

Yes, delay in getting the game prepped for release. From what I heard, a problem with some of the campaign scenarios cropped up and they needed to be re-converted.

The announcement (and web pages) are nearly ready though, and hopefully I will find the time finally for them sometime this month. I wanted to first grab some screen captures from the new soldier models etc. but if it delays things much longer, we'll put out the game section without that at first.

Yes, delay in getting the game prepped for release. From what I heard, a problem with some of the campaign scenarios cropped up and they needed to be re-converted.

There seems to be a running theme with CMSF concerning the campaigns. It appears to me that they seem to be by far the biggest brake on any game or module. The games and modules seem to be ready but get held up for months in the campaign ironing out phase.

Is the campaign design flawed?

There seems to be a running theme with CMSF concerning the campaigns. It appears to me that they seem to be by far the biggest brake on any game or module. The games and modules seem to be ready but get held up for months in the campaign ironing out phase.

Nope - just takes a whiley to balance the scenarios out through playtesting so that the campaign works.

Nope - just takes a whiley to balance the scenarios out through playtesting so that the campaign works.

Thats pretty much my point though. It seems like the campaigns take a long time to work out and this seems to put the brake on the finished article being ready.

I take it the campaign cant be made before the game is ready and then it seems to take weeks if not months to sort out the flaws and bugs in it. Not to say I havent enjoyed playing through a lot of scenarios in the campaign but even to me they seem to be a little bit disjointed. Its really like playing a bunch of random scenarios rather then the feeling of taking core units somewhere.

Still, there must be a reason for having a campaign at all I suppose, Ive just never really figured out what it is yet.

Still, there must be a reason for having a campaign at all I suppose, Ive just never really figured out what it is yet.

Finishing the campaign gives me an excuse for going from "having to stay up all night to advance to the next scenario with minimal losses" mode to "play another stand-alone scenario, if time allows" (=never) mode. That alone is a good reason for me to have a campaign. The feeling of having reached a given goal.

That being said, of course the campaign system can be improved. I would love to fight over the same map with persistent damage, for example.

Force pool visualization would also be nice, as has been indicated already.

Best regards,

Thomm

Let's remember this isn't a module, its an entirely new title. Speculating on delays based on CMSF may not exactly be 'comparing apples to oranges' but it may be rather like 'comparing tangerines to kumquats' - sure, still in the same citrus family but there's a difference.

I take it the campaign cant be made before the game is ready and then it seems to take weeks if not months to sort out the flaws and bugs in it.

From my experience as a beta tester/scen designer for three game titles:

Any changes in TOE will impact scen design...stand alone or campaign makes no difference. Typically scen/campaign designers are busy from the moment the game is handed to them. Through out the testing process bug fixes can greatly effect their work. But generally the major issue for designers will be TOE and changes to the map editor. In the end the designers are responsible for keeping abreast of the changes. I see no flaw in the CMx2 editor but rather a simple reality of producing a game.

honestly, i would mind haveing no campain if that means half a year less developement time. to hold the game back several month just for the campain is not justified in my opinion.

the campains we have are good and nice an all that but if we could have the same product with some more single scenarios, without campain, but several month earlier i would take that instead.