The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

Since BS has been more or less retired, I'm hoping for another modern like NATO vs Russia or Korea 2025. I'd also like a Cold War expansion updating to the late 80's and other seasons especially Winter.

20 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Since BS has been more or less retired, I'm hoping for another modern like NATO vs Russia or Korea 2025. I'd also like a Cold War expansion updating to the late 80's and other seasons especially Winter.

+1 Except I hope it's not drone spam because that wouldnt be fun at all.

China + NK VS USA, Japan, SK would be incredible. 

5 hours ago, Artkin said:

China + NK VS USA, Japan, SK would be incredible. 

Given what is happening in Ukraine today, I think any contemporary game would have to include drones to a greater degree than what is in BS. However, overwhelming drones and meat assaults would not be fun.

+1 on your Asian suggestions.

20 hours ago, Erwin said:

You should not leave out Iran vs the US as well.  Iran is well-positioned to shut off our oil tankers from the Gulf.

I'm intrigued by this idea. Since CM is a land battle simulation, what are you envisioning for a US vs Iran game?

1 hour ago, Bannon said:

I'm intrigued by this idea. Since CM is a land battle simulation, what are you envisioning for a US vs Iran game?

Well for one, Marines and a lot of drones, besides regulars (and irregulars).  Totally new drone system is prolly required.

21 minutes ago, Probus said:

Well for one, Marines and a lot of drones, besides regulars (and irregulars).  Totally new drone system is prolly required.

Considering that the Marine Corp gave up their heavy armor in 2021, I suspect these battles would need to be coastal with heavy air support. And you're right about drones since I suspect any conflict of consequence will have them going forward.

On 4/3/2024 at 6:12 AM, Artkin said:

I don't think it's possible to give modern warfare an honest portrayal without drone spam. Though I suppose it depends to a certain extent on how many drones are required to constitute a "spam". Based on the Russo-Ukraine war I'd think that one drone active at any given time in support of each platoon would be about the norm. Possibly going up to one per squad in the near future. So that would be 3 to 9 drones in a company sized engagement. 9 to 27 drones in a battalion sized engagement. That's just the quadcopters providing small-unit situational awareness though. Once you start accounting for loitering munitions the number would get higher, but at that point they're basically functioning like cheaper precision munitions.

Edited by Centurian52

4 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

So that would be 3 to 9 drones in a company sized engagement. 9 to 27 drones in a battalion sized engagement.

So effectively you could simulate that by doing away with FoW.

On 4/3/2024 at 12:46 AM, Casual_Insanity said:

I meant to send this out yesterday, anyway my guess as to big announcement is that the next combat mission is going to be Combat Mission: Hello Kitty 40k. 

In the grim darkness of the future the is only rainbows and meows

Given Warhammer has long been another hobby/interest of mine, I had to Google. The internet did not disappoint. 

hello-kitty-space-marine-intercessors.jp

1 hour ago, Probus said:

So effectively you could simulate that by doing away with FoW.

That does seem the be the biggest unanticipated change in modern warfare, yes. And as a direct result of the omnipresence of drones. They aren't calling it "the transparent battlefield" for nothing.

It seems to be a reversal of what happened at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century. At that time the adoption of dull uniforms, more dispersed formations which made greater use of cover and concealment, and smokeless powder firearms (which both extended firing ranges and reducing firing signatures) were all contributing to make it harder and harder to see the enemy and conduct effective reconnaissance. The result was the emergence of "the invisible battlefield".

Edited by Centurian52

Of course just deleting FoW wouldn't be entirely satisfactory. Overhead concealment still works on drones. And you can shoot down drones with small-arms fire, or disable them with EW, which may temporarily blind the enemy in a section of the battlefield (they would have a new drone up before too long, but it may buy you some breathing room). Part of the point of a new modern warfare game would be to try to figure out how you could actually operate on the modern battlefield, and part of that is figuring out how to counter drones. So the drones themselves would need to be included in the game.

Edited by Centurian52

It is likely that masses (thousands) of AI managed drones would be involved in an operation.  One way to simulate masses of drones may be the way ROME TW simulated attacks by a mass of dogs or flaming pigs.  ie:  A mass of drones washes over the battlefield leaving a wasteland and routed units.  (And we're not just talking over land.  Subs could control a mass of drones for naval attacks.)

The problem with simulating drones in X years is we are still very early in the cycle.  Will thousands of small drones work or will they be readily countered by thousands of the opponent's small drones.  Will larger armed drones work or will a small drone take them out (or make them so expensive to be very limited).  Will ground defenses be improved now that drones are becoming more of a threat and if so what will that do?  All guesses at this point.

What about AI for pixel troopen that would (1) not run into mine fields when those have been clearly marked by engineers and (2) not run into a rolling artillery barrage (kind of stopping before) …. Overall just little smarter pixel trooper when it’s about their virtual life 😁

That too nobody expects it 😬

On 2/3/2024 at 3:08 AM, Battlefront.com said:

I had hoped I could say a little more than that at this point, however after some internal discussion we decided now is not quite the right time.  But I promised you something and so a promise is a promise, and here I am to make good on that as best I can.  When will we have more to say?  I think a couple of months will do the trick.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 4/3/2024 at 2:50 PM, Bannon said:

I'm hoping for another modern like ... I'd also like a Cold War expansion... and other seasons especially Winter.

Make yourself a few scenarios in the editor and that will keep you busy for a while. And you might also learn how the game works "under the hood" as it's sometimes called.

If you share your scenarios through the Scenario Depot some people in this forum may start praying for your wellbeing to stay forever as they will rely on your scenarios to make their life worth living.

Edited by BornGinger

So the switch to CM2 ,BF through us a curve ball and went modern and no one expected that, so the switch to CM3 will be the same pattern? but maybe to a WW1 or Civil War setting ? I doubt it myself from a $ perspective , but these gents are unpredictable, remember one of the main reasons for the modern switch was to "re-charge their batteries".

42 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

So the switch to CM2 ,BF through us a curve ball and went modern and no one expected that, so the switch to CM3 will be the same pattern? but maybe to a WW1 or Civil War setting ? I doubt it myself from a $ perspective , but these gents are unpredictable, remember one of the main reasons for the modern switch was to "re-charge their batteries".

Starship Troopers? 

The book, not the movie, obviously. We can already simulate a mob with small arms and no support weapons wandering aimlessly.