Pre-orders for the CMFB module Download are now open

Well.....They actually opened last night. 🙂 It was included in the Part 1 of this year's State of the Union Address.

This module is huge. A lot of love went into this. Check out what it's got and what it looks like here:

Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg : Downfall

Reminder: These are pre-orders. When the module is finished a new patch (v2.10) will be released on our Patches page. That patch will include any fixes since the last patch, the PBEM++ and Tournament systems and all of the content for Downfall. The license key in your pre-order can be used, once the patch is available, to "unlock" the module's content. You will also recieve an email letting you know that it has been released.

Also, we've recieved a number of Help Desk tickets from people saying that they can't redeem their Final Blitzkrieg license keys for Steam keys on the Slitherine/Matrix sites. That is because the game is not yet available on Steam. Once it is you'll be able to redeem your Battlefront key for Steam keys at no charge. 

26 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

Can you tell us the what the three campaigns are covering?

The UK campaign will be a sub-unit of the 15th (Scottish) Infantry Division, with supporting units ("Funnies"/armor) from XXX Corps present centered around Kleve/Cleve. 

The German campaign is titled The Bridge. The campaign centers around the defenders at Remagen Bridge, and the counter-attacks in the vicinity. 

The US campaign is titled Spearhead. Eight battles, spanning the fighting leading up to and including Cologne. It focuses on Task Force Lovelady/D Company, and attached infantry/engineers, artillery. 

@benpark is working at a deadline pace at this moment. Perhaps in a couple of days he'll have a moment to add sumfink. He's the lead on them.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

The UK campaign will be a sub-unit of the 15th (Scottish) Infantry Division, with supporting units ("Funnies"/armor) from XXX Corps present centered around Kleve/Cleve. 

The German campaign is titled The Bridge. The campaign centers around the defenders at Remagen Bridge, and the counter-attacks in the vicinity. 

The US campaign is titled Spearhead. Eight battles, spanning the fighting leading up to and including Cologne. It focuses on Task Force Lovelady/D Company, and attached infantry/engineers, artillery. 

@benpark is working at a deadline pace at this moment. Perhaps in a couple of days he'll have a moment to add sumfink. He's the lead on them.

Small correction: the US campaign is nine missions. I think it was originally eight, but another one got added.

The Commonwealth campaign is seven missions, the German campaign is also seven missions.

@benpark really knocked it out of the... uh... park with these. Big, intricate, historical maps, with challenging enemies, interesting operational settings, lots of cool hardware to play with, they've really got it all going for them.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:16 PM, BFCElvis said:

Go @benpark go!

A question about the scenarios in this new module. Is Battlefront checking the different scenarios before they are added to this module so they are as historically accurate as they're possible to make in the editor?

A long time ago I made a Blue Hills scenario for Final Blitzkrieg which I uploaded to The Few Good Men's Scenario Depot III. When I read that there is a Blue Hills scenario in the Fire and Rubble module to Red Thunder, called Hills of the Moon or something, I was of course curious what it would look like. I later on had the opportunity to have a look at that scenario on a friend’s computer. As far as I remember that Hills of the Moon scenario is quite small with no hills and not much of forests nor any marshy areas but rather two or three areas sparsely covered with trees which won't offer the one playing as the Red Army any challenge. The map looked like it's made by someone who was too lazy to make it properly by using old German or Soviet height maps as the map overlay in the editor.

I'm sure the people who pay for this module are expecting great maps that are as correct as they're possible to make in the editor and not something that makes them think "What the flipping heck is this? Is this map really made with the help of a good map overlay in the editor or has the author quickly cooked something up the night before the release of the module?"

It is possible that the author of the Hills of the Moon scenario for the Fire and Rubble module reads this and feel upset and sad in the eye by what I wrote. I hope that it will make him spend more time on his next scenario map and also make sure that he's using a good map overlay for it.

Thank you for giving me the floor, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by BornGinger

5 hours ago, BornGinger said:

a Blue Hills scenario in the Fire and Rubble module to Red Thunder, called Hills of the Moon or something

I just had a look - it's FR Mountains of the Moon, and as you say it is fairly flat.  It doesn't say who the designer was, but there's a list of a dozen or so scenario designers at the end of the F&R manual.  I could copy the list here, but I'm not sure it would help. 

On the general point (as one of those who has already pre-paid for Downfall) I like to think historical accuracy is a feature of CM, either in the maps or the units etc.  But there's a limit to map accuracy, and at the same time I value detailed, challenging but 'playable' maps.  With that in mind the above-mentioned F&R designer list includes some of the finest map makers, like @George MC and @benpark.  As it say above, the latter is responsible for the lead on the campaigns in Downfall and I know we will get excellent content.

Edited by Vacillator

12 hours ago, DesertFox said:

Maybe someone misread the topo or had no topo at all back then?

Of course he had. I made my map long before F&R came out and all my resource material can be downloaded from the Scenario Editor 3. The author of Mountains of the Moon maybe doesn't own Final Blitz and therefor couldn't get that resource material but he sure should have been able to find the German or Soviet elevation map.

The author of Mountains of the Moon was just too lazy to put an effort into making a good map and I hope the scenario and map authors to the new Final Blitz module have used enough of their time to not make those who buy it disappointed.

Edited by BornGinger

Looking at the M18 Recoilless Rifle - In addition to the HEAT and HE, I guess this thing had canister shot, and WP round. Not sure if some came out after ww2 though. Can you imagine the slugs that it fired in canister? ouch.

crew firing from inside a half-track or m20 car is going to make those vehicles that much deadlier.

Edited by user1000

Is the TO&E list final? I've seen a few things missing like the Sherman IIA, the Sherman Tulip and the Ostwind.

The lack of an LVT-4 and/or a DUKW is also somewhat of a disappointment, looking at all the amphibious operations during this timeframe.

Edited by Frenchy56

6 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Nice surprise, looking forward to this! :)

Some beta AAR with Pershings and Comets mingling with Panthers or other big cats would be noice 😉 

It's funny that you should ask for that. There are 2 scenarios doing what you've asked for. The titles of the scenarios are:

"DF Metal on Metal (Comet vs Panther)"

"DF Metal on Metal (Pershing vs Tiger)"

Kinda what you had in mind?

We hadn't planned on doing an AAR. Maybe we should but I don't think there would be enough time to do it before the module is released. Rather than giving spoilers on one of these, we should wait until you get it in your hands.

40 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

I'm expecting those scenarios to start to feel a lot like CMCW. Which wouldn't be at all surprising considering that the early-gen tanks of CMCW (M48A5, M60A1, T55, T62) feel a lot more like really powerful WW2 tanks than like modern tanks.

10 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

It's funny that you should ask for that. There are 2 scenarios doing what you've asked for. The titles of the scenarios are:

Kinda what you had in mind?

We hadn't planned on doing an AAR. Maybe we should but I don't think there would be enough time to do it before the module is released. Rather than giving spoilers on one of these, we should wait until you get it in your hands.

Heavy metal sounds like it indeed! :) Good! I guess there are still more minds of similar 'desire'.

And although I always enjoyed the beta AARs I won't mind unspoiling these myself :D

On 1/8/2024 at 7:54 AM, BornGinger said:

The author of Mountains of the Moon was just too lazy to put an effort into making a good map and I hope the scenario and map authors to the new Final Blitz module have used enough of their time to not make those who buy it disappointed.

For the record I tried to play your Blue Hills scenario in FB as PBEM and whilst it was an interesting scenario it was unplayable due to performance issues, and whilst I don't have a top end PC it's no slouch. We had to abandon the game not long after starting as my oppo was having issues too.

So perhaps it was a conscious choice by the designer? To simply label them lazy is very judgemental, Walt Whitman would not be impressed :)

MMM